Agnostic.com

22 9

LINK AL Pastor Puts Up Sign Saying “Black Folks Need to Stay Out of White Churches” | Beth Stoneburner | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Racism works both ways.

A black pastor in Birmingham, Alabama is making headlines for encouraging his congregants not to attend white churches with a sign that reads, rather bluntly, “Black folks need to stay out of white churches.”

snytiger6 9 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

White folks need to stay out of white churches too.

BD66 Level 8 May 25, 2020

LMAO...

Why does it matter what color a church is painted?

Upon first glance, yes, it certainly does appear that the black pastor is engaging
in reverse racism.
However, after having read the piece, I can see the point the pastor was attempting
to make, regardless of how poorly the execution may have been.

That said, it's just more proof of how dangerous and harmful religion truly is.
How easily it's used to demonize entire groups of people, and used to support
any negative "cause" anyone wishes to put to it.

Make all churches pay taxes. Start with the megachurches.
It'll also show how pervasive racism really is within religion.

Elect a bigot president who claims racism is OK and you end up getting back to this sort of nonsense in a short time. It's like a former friend of mine claiming we should shoot those crossing our borders because "Trump would be OK with it." The "white right" is OK with this church thing because of the POTUS they helped to elect.

Racism, xenophobia, are NATURAL GENETICALLY BASED. Screaming how they are bad does not explain why you think they are bad. Just that you have swallowed the blue pill.

@Jacar Although xenophobia can be genetically based. I believe most racism, or at least the acceptability of acting out on it, is learned.

IMO, his declaration is less about racism as it is about preservation and protection of his congregation. . Blacks are one of the most vulnerable populations throughout the South.

As tensions and anger arise during this time of COVID virus, minorities become the default population for white violence. Given that protection for minorities has a poor record in the South, it would not be unrealistic for an unsuspecting black family to be subject to intimidation or violence after attending a service in a white dominated neighborhood. Its unfortunate and sad, but a realistic possibility in some areas of the South.

I do not promote or condone racism in any of its forms. But recognizing that by putting oneself in a vulnerable position increases opportunities for adverse situations.

It's all about protecting your money. Hypocrites. Nothing to do with intimidation or violence, spelled pretty clearly in the article, but protecting your turf, ergo, your money.

@Mofo1953

And I should believe you, why. Your selective ignorance hasnt been very impressive and convincing in the past.

Thanks....Some reason, instead of just knee-jerk regressive ignorance and stupidity.

@t1nick neither has yours. Read the article, but I guess your reading skills are at the obvious moron level.

I'm just getting really tired of stupid people breathing our air...

I don't believe there is any racism involved in that article. The pastor is just trying to bring his "flock" back to help maintain the continued viability of black churches.
My brother, a Presbyterian minister in GA, said that after the Civil Rights gains in the '60's, a black minister came to him and asked him not to solicit black members of his congregation or neighborhoods as the black churches were struggling as it was.

He shoulda said mega churches instead of white churches. That’s a better and more salient conversation to have.

Very “Christian” of him. Colour prejudice actually does work in both directions and this is proof if any were needed, dress it up any way you like but this is just perpetuating racial separation. When we all become colour-blind, both the religious and secular alike, then the world will be a much happier place.

So the truth comes out. It is not about love thy neighbor or following Jesus. It is about me and my kind, pure and simple.
Imagine the uproar if black churches put up signs saying no whites allowed?

Around the Cleveland area a lot of the Catholic churches are made out of sandstone. More of an earth-tone color me thinks. 😆

Racism? Or greed? He may be operating on the assumption that if his message works, more black people and their donations will come to his church.

JimG Level 8 May 26, 2020

Greed and racism do often work hand in hand.

DIsgusting. Can they be disbarred from Christendom?

did you read the article?

@CrankyAntie Nope. But I see I made an incorrect assumption about the direction of the prejudice. But I think the comment works just as well. Few Christians of any stripe come close to meeting their own standard.

Lock him up....he is violating the Civil Rights bill of 1964

Nasty

bobwjr Level 10 May 26, 2020

Being an atheist I don't think I have standing to judge religious controversy. Furthermore I don't really give a hoot.

Hypocrites.

Maybe if he had commented about mega churches rather than use race I know that it is the main problem but it seems to be drawing the wrong attention to the issue. Provide examples of where their tithing will go and how much they will be expected to tithe, I mean that is the reason for the church to raise money for the church (or its actual leader)

As the old divisions are brought to the head of the line, by those who want Fascism to rise at the expense of the elderly, infirm, disabled, veterans, and the poor!!!

Well. I suppose that's one way to get equality in Alabama.

the racism is pointed out in the article- the way America is, but shouldn't be..

And what is wrong with any of this???

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.