Agnostic.com

36 21

LINK Tulsa mayor said we are not shooting African Americans as much as we should be

Now,we know why trump is holding the convention there

bobwjr 10 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Perhaps we are not shooting the mayor enough times.

A major in the Tulsa PD not the mayor of the city.
Still not good to say the least.
Also he is holding a rally there not the convention.

It's a typo.
It wasn't the Mayor of Tulsa who made the statement.
It was a MAJOR with the Tulsa police department.

This is a perfect example of just reading the headline, not the whole story, and making comments based on a TYPO!!

Still very bad. No public servant should be allowed to make such a statement and remain on taxpayers’ payroll.

@Justme43 Absolutely agreed. He should be fired immediately.

A Trump rally on Juneteenth in the heart of an exceedingly racist state will make it even more dangerous than it already is for Black people. 😡

Conversely, it might finally get through to the fence-sitters that he's a racist pos and HAS to go.
It's well past the time for those of us (white people) who understand what is happening, to put ourselves between the racists and the people who are suffering at their hands.
The only ones who can put a stop to this are white people.
It's on us to force the necessary changes in the entire system.

@KKGator yes I agree white people has to stop this §#! * once and for all. Well I cannot stand the sight of that president. Everytime he opens his mouth he reminds me of the gestapo. He's a vile piece of urghhhh vomit!!!

I was on the way back to this posting to answer the question about why Dumpshit is going to Tulsa, and was glad to see of-the-mount's comment.
Trump is going to Tulsa for the same reason St. Reagan announced his candidacy where he did: It was near the site where the murders of the 3 Freedom Riders, Cheney, Goodman and Schwerner took place. It was a dog whistle for Reagan, to the bigots from whom he sought support, and Tulsa is the same thing for Dumpass!

One of the biggest massacres of Black people in the history of this country!!

If you still think trump and the obstructionist republican fascists are not racist, then you are a sick mentally deranged Evil piece of pure shit you should have your citizenship revoked and all rights removed forever!!!

Now we know why trump is going to Tulsa to start a race war!!!

[timeline.com]

[theatlantic.com]

"Injustice plus time, does not equal justice." There it is in a nutshell.
Trump's sociopathy encapsulates and supports that of the country.

This story shocks me every time I come acoss it.

In the 21st century we are still savages.

I hope the Juneteenth celebration in Tulsa is peaceful and well intended. I also hope they include a big voter registration drive-in their plans.

I’m afraid it won’t end well. If the situation continues I’m afraid the POS WILL call in the military. He’d like nothing better than to declare Marshall law nationwide just before the election! No election— he wins again by default

@Justme43 doesn't work like that

@Rich177 Says who? There are lots of things he's done that weren't supposed to "work like that".

@JeffMurray elections go on even under martial law

@Rich177 I think you mean elections have always gone on even under martial law.

@JeffMurray we'll see what happens, Biden scares me more than Trump to be honest.

@Rich177 That's about the dumbest thing I've heard all year.

The world is a big place and filled with a lot of little brains! Especially Trump supporters. Not sure about anyone else... But every time I see a Trump bumper sticker or yard sign... I either say out loud or think to myself...

What an idiot!

I had a little tantrum last week. I saw a mid seventies ford pu with Trump banners and flags.
I wasn't quiet about it either. I yelled exactly what I thought. Free speech, right? I don't really know the IQ of his anus and I don't know who he has sex with (or what).

That is your opinion.

@Grecio I view that as a fact... If you think Donald Trump is doing a good job... You are an idiot!

ameriKKKa and its trumpdemis.

Hey Gypsy!
The mask/shirt coordination is great!
I'm always impressed by your stylishness!
😎🍷

@bigpawbullets Thank You and different from trumpdemis I don't look weak when Masked. I am traveling to Maryland in weeks and they still masking seriously over there and from there going to Puerto Rico that are having a Great Effort to keep COVID-19 Casualties to a Minimum. I Mask because I don't mind Playing for the Benefit of Mankind and I am too Old to dress like a Bum... Hats, Tropical Shirts, Shoes, Ties and Suits... I am Happily Ridiculous because since My Childhood I was taught how to be a Dresser!!!! (Only thing I learned from my Father). Ha, He, Ha.

What do you expect its Oklahoma. The place where the Bible Belt drains.

t1nick Level 8 June 11, 2020

Well its Tulsa. Its a white trash shithole

redhog Level 7 June 11, 2020

The more I hear about what's happening in USA daily, it reminds me of what has happened in South Africa. ...and even though we are a democracy, there's certain places black people would think twice to walk on the soil, let alone drive past. ...because they would go on missing stats.

@TimeOutForMe fully accurate of many places in the US.

@redhog what is wrong with people who choose to terrify people just because of a different skin colour. This is utter madness honestly. ...and the people who are responsible for this terror ...well they don't come from good stock. Their people are murderers and thieves.

@TimeOutForMe not gonna argue. 0% on point

And he wonders why this is all happening.

What a piece of human garbage! Oklahoma is the armpit of America.

barjoe Level 9 June 11, 2020

@maturin1919 NJ is way better than Oklahoma. Rome sucks big time.

@maturin1919 I don't live in NJ George Floyd was murdered in the anniversary of the Tulsa Massacre. Use your GED and look it up. I'm not wrong. There's more Italians in New Jersey than Rome and at least they bathe regularly.

@maturin1919 Rome? Oneida Country? And you have room to talk about Jersey. Jersey sucks but at least it's not home to the toothless rednecks who live in Oklahoma

The Tulsa mayor has the same way with words that I have 😟

@TheMiddleWay The headline on this page says MA YOR. Take it up with the author 😉

Ummmm, since you have tasers, why are you shooting at all?

This guy is a loon and a dangerous one at that. He's effectively said that they are not shooting enough black Americas. Like they should have a quota for this or something. Then he talks about them coming in to contact more often so that explains why they shoot more Blacks. What a fucked up thing to say, as if coming in contact with your local police department should be something that puts your life at risk or gives the police permission to shoot you dead. What happened to protect and SERVE.

This Mayor also condemns the protesters. I have yet to hear of any police department complaining about the TRUMP protesters coming out to rally against lock down restrictions. Maybe I'm wrong. If anyone knows, I'm open to be corrected on that one.

Might help, if Mr Mayor, ‘walked a mile in the black person’s shoes!’

@TheMiddleWay I read the article, before it was posted here! I DECIDED to comment as it was stated here. You assumed...

@TheMiddleWay I was trying to make a ‘broad statement!’ If you noticed, I did not comment on the article at all! If you are offended by my effort at another angle... I guess I errored!

@TheMiddleWay Since when must we comment with preceise details on
any article, I can stand behind what I post, and I see that some people want get where I am and my thinking will be connected to what is posted! Since when are people forced to follow exactly the ideas laid out in an article? We were discussing the ‘black experience’...and how some people can’t understand it (racism)...at least that is where my mind was at the time! And what I said related to the police major or to whom ever is in authority there or any place else! If you have been mislead by me...please excuse, I am just expressing thoughts that pertain to a subject matter. And it is clear that YOU are ‘put-off’ with how/what I posted... what on earth do you want from me now? Trying to explain my actions has fallen on deaf ears!

@Freedompath ego much?

@Rich177 you do not know the difference between decency and ego!

@Rich177 ...you should have completed the ‘reading class!’ Words are used to describe ideas.

@Rich177 From your profile...you could use an ‘ego’...don’t blame me for what you lack!

Not a particularly wise thing to say right now...

I can't help but wonder how many clicks that typo made for that media outlet.

He’s making a good point! I’m sure Trump will be very welcome here in Oklahoma! I for one am glad he’s coming.

Context is everything people!! He was commenting on the statistics showing that the TPD get called in on many more crimes than the average city, and that according to the stats, if you compare them to other high crime areas, they should have had more people shot by a police officer than they did... 🙄

You don't think it's fucked that anyone licensed to carry a gun doesn't have the opinion that no one should be getting shot??

@JeffMurray So you're saying that there is no situation where a person shoulld be shot? How about the person walking through a school shooting kids, the person walking through your house shooting your family, the person walking through a mall shooting people, etc, etc??? I don't know any person with a concealed carry permit that carries to defend themself and those around them that WANTS to shoot someone. Believe me, that's the last thing we want to do. If you don't care about being helpless, that's fine, don't carry a weapon. We don't give a shit.. 🤨👍

@Captain_Feelgood Should be and needs to are two different things.

It's kinda fascinating how Trump and his brain-dead base can always find a way to sink even lower than they were just days before. I'm, going to name this talent "creative scumbaggery."

I just read this article. Mayor worded it very poorly, but noone has mentioned the numbers themselves. If you look across the nation, you see a similar pattern of LOWER death by police interaction for blacks than whites when you compare to commission of murders and other serious crimes.

You are being very dishonest with your figures. Manipulating them to suit your own argument. So you pick One statistic on Murder rates in different communities and then make the police look good by saying they have better figures that the crime figures from the communities they police.
So do you think the police are entitled to murder black people because they live in high crime communities and that's ok. The Police are not supposed to use Crime figures within disadvantaged communities to justify murder by the police in these communities. And if you want to look at some frightening STATS. Try looking at the innocence project figures. Mis carriages of Justice for Black people are SO MUCH HIGHER than for White people. 12% of the population in the US is BLACK. So can you tell me why we have never seen a white person being choked to death by a police officer because they were carrying a 20 dollar fake bill. Is that the Value a police officer should put on the life of a human being. 20 dollars?

@dermot235 Let me know what crime stats you are referring to. Please link or cite.

Additionally, Floyd should not have been placed down on ground with officers kneeling on his body as he was stating he can't breathe. A crime was committed there. But let's not forget the crime Floyd himself had committed in past including home invasion and holding a pregnant woman with gun pointed at stomach. Or maybe you think women should just be silent victims and this behavior is okay? Floyd had walked down a crime filled path including having fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system. Why is noone talking about charges on THAT? Not ONE person has mentioned that. Absolute silence from all. Where were the people and the policies that should have prevented all of this in the first place? It occurred in a Democratically run city. What's going on there? Why does it keep happening in those places? At this point Democrats are protesting their own democratic policies and that's very unfortunate.

@Flowerwall Because the punishment for the crimes he committed is not the DEATH PENALTY. And thats the job of a court and a Judge and a Jury. NOT the police officer in the street. We are not supposed to live in a police state where they are Judge, Jury and executioner. THATS WHY NOT ONE PERSON.
How can you look at that Video of what was done to him and have no empathy for him.
And here's your information from the innocence project.
[innocenceproject.org]

To be a black person in America is to be seven times more likely to be wrongfully convicted of murder and three times more likely to be wrongly convicted of sexual assault as compared to white people.
THAT'S JUST A SIMPLE FACT.

To be a black exoneree in America means:

You are 222 of the 362 people proved innocent by DNA
You are 84 of the 164 survivors of death row (Death Penalty Information Center)
You spent an average of 10.7 years behind bars for a crime you didn’t commit vs. 7.4 for whites exonerees (National Registry of Exonerations)
Now that you have the facts, join #blackbehindbars on Twitter to see the impact wrongful convictions have on exonerees, families, and communities.

You Might learn something Flowerwall

@dermot235 "Because the punishment for the crimes he committed is not the DEATH PENALTY. " Don't mischaracterize what I said. Please don't deny reality either because other interpretations are easier for you to manipulate.

As to the innocence project I won't deny that more blacks have been effected according to numbers I just read there, but in comparison to overall commission of crime rates it is not hugely off. A more in depth analysis could give more clues to the reasons for this, so factors could be changed. But again, isn't the vast majority of this occurring in democratically run places, such as big cities? Why have Democrats allowed this? I fear the Democrats are not solving the problems. If the Democrats were aware of this injustice why not act on it?

@Flowerwall Are you just looking for a reason to BLAME people for what's happening other than the police who were recorded doing this. You say that........FIRST there is no problem by twisting you STATS and then blame the Democrats for something you say is not going on. You are all over the place. If you don't recognise that something WRONG is going on here then you are part of the Problem. You should be trying to be part of the solution. Have you no shame about how you talk about communities of disadvantage

@dermot235 "Are you just looking for reason to BLAME people for what's happening other than the police who were recorded doing this" Why is that question asked of me when I clearly said in first paragraph "Additionally, Floyd should not have been placed down on ground with officers kneeling on his body as he was stating he can't breathe. A crime was committed there." Possibly you didn't understand that the crime I was referring to was the crime of the officers, but I thought that would be obvious to the reader considering the sentence preceding it. So I don't understand where you are coming from AT ALL.

What stats have I twisted? Please elaborate.

Has it been occurring in predominately Dem, cities or not? The answer to the question can only be YES or NO. Which one is it? Dealing with FACTS and REALITY is a great way to find a solution. So please answer the question with a Y or N. Thank you!

@Flowerwall OHHH it IS hugely off.
You are 222 of the 362 people proved innocent by DNA
12% of the population are black and 60% of wrongful convictions are Black. So it IS hugely off.

@Flowerwall YOU SAID
"If the Democrats were aware of this injustice why not act on it"
So you have no issue with republicans not acting on this. THERE is a Republican in the White House BTW. There have been Republican Mayors in theses Cities to.
And I never said that Democrats have no blame for what is going on. You just assumed I am a Democrat. How insightful of you???

@Flowerwall Floyd, did not pay the ultimate sacrifice for his ‘past sins,’ that officer choking the life from him...was using Floyd’s action of trying to spend a fake 20.00 bill. In this Country we have not given POLICE, the privilege of arresting, bringing that action before the court...then declaring the death sentence for whatever offense was addressed! This is America...and it is being highjacked by a few who can’t seem to get passed ‘punishing’ people for every little error...until the person carries the burden of being ‘sub-human,’ ...for being too imperfect!

@Flowerwall Police come out of different parties or no parties at all! No where have I heard that only Democrats are hired to be police. Actually, it is the opposite!

@dermot235 I never assumed you were Dem. You are taking discussion too personally. I am discussing facts here. I am at core a Dem myself, though all of this has me completely questioning if Dem policies are actually working for people, especially black people. To not question that is to be led blindly placing party loyalty over the true welfare of people. This is America, you are correct. It's a beautiful place and should be working FOR ALL.

If you tell me all of a sudden Dems are just going to magically solve this NOW, I am going to ask "why haven't you done it before?" You were in charge the whole time? (Of large cities) Yes Repub Pres. Not a big fan AT ALL. But I don't want Pres. micromanaging police in cities. Not Pres. job. Should be getting handled on citywide levels.

@Freedompath But who is in charge ultimately? It's not the police officers. It's the elected officials, lawmakers. You cannot abdicate responsibility when things are not making you look good, like you have not done your job well, and now it's not your OWN fault. You need to CHANGE it proactively. These are people LIVES at stake.

@Flowerwall What are you talking about. You are not discussing facts. I gave you the facts and you still insisted the the sats were not that far apart. Sounds like you don't want to be a part of the solution.
"why haven't you done it before?"
There you go again telling me I'm a Democrat. Do you even know what country I come from??

In any case. When the southern states abused there power during the Civil rights marches of the Sixties the FEDERAL Government had to step in. And in my view that needs to happen now again. States and cities never seem to get the changes done that they need to. Not when it comes to Civil rights.

@Flowerwall I should hope that the ‘officer in charge,’ has ENOUGH humanity. Rules and laws mean nothing to the individual at any level...without humanity!

@dermot235 If you don't live in US, you are not in a position to give the best feedback to how things should be run. I appreciate insights from people in foreign countries, but I would value the opinion of people living here much more.

""why haven't you done it before?" I didn't mean YOU. I meant the elected officials.

Also we have had a black Pres. Don't you think if there was indeed a systemic problem that required Feds HE would have stepped in? Or are you going to tell me former Pres. Obama was a racist? Either that or you are referring to an uptick that has occurred since he has been in office?

@Flowerwall Now we are getting down to it. Showing your True colours. You don't even know if I spent any time in the US or how long I was there. LAME arguement. Easy out for you. An even If I never did spend time in the US, an outsider looking in can be of great value don't you think. But as it happens I reckon I been to more places and spoken to more people in the US that you may have. Maybe not, maybe so. Who knows......but I don't use that against you. Your statement about not taking advice from outsiders is a little bit TRUMPIAN don't you think

And I live in a country where the Police don't kill people by kneeling on their necks. Are you not interested in how we do not violate the rights of our citizens like this

@Flowerwall I think that you don’t believe that human nature and news is everywhere! I have a friend that was born in S Africa and has never lived in America (although she has traveled extensively) and we are on the same page when it comes to human rights and human dignity. We can discuss the details of different societies/cultures, but we always come back to the human dilemma at the same point.

@Freedompath "I should hope that the ‘officer in charge,’ has ENOUGH humanity. Rules and laws mean nothing to the individual at any level...without humanity!" Well SURE. Build in systems that do not allow acts of inhumanity to go unpunished. But that surely goes all ways, police, yes, very importantly, criminals too, of course. If we can eliminate the crime in the first place it's a very good thing. Less crime is good for people, need less police, everyone is living better under that system. How do we get there? Dems say "Disband police". Do away with CRIME FIRST, I say.

@dermot235 "an outsider looking in can be of great value don't you think" Yes that's why I said "I appreciate insights from people in foreign countries"

Calling me Trumpian, my statement, is a way to bother my mind because I just stated I am not a fan of him. You appear to be the Trumpian here for that very reason!

@Flowerwall Obama had the congress for 2 years out of 8. and he is supposed to solve all the racism that built up over 250 years. You need to get real. I think your a Right wing troll. Just punking everyone here. I think I have your number "Freedom wall"

Freedom wall??. Is that the one on the border that the mexicans won't pay for?

Flower Wall. mmmh. Freedom Wall or ....Oh I give in

Still wait for you to be even a little bit critical of anything TRUMP said or the republican party has done. I think you are a republican.

@Flowerwall ...you failed to take into account that the officer progressed beyond the point of his duties and the laws regarding Floyd’s arrest! The officer reacted to being resisted and a power struggle became, ‘i the officer have the ultimate power over you!’ At that point he lost his professional status and operated from his anger and superiority! He was no longer a civil servant...but, instead became a killer! In 8 mins 46 sec that officer had time to ‘come to his senses,’ and he didn’t! That came from his training or his own angry deeper nature? Either of which was not humane!

@Freedompath Not face pic and no Bio. mmmmh. Maybe we need to See Flowerwall's long form Birth cert

@Flowerwall I wish it was that ‘cut and dried!’ Lol. I must chalk this up to your life-experience! You must be young (or very sheltered). Education, health resources and social standing gives good results...but nothing will ever be perfect, no matter how hard one shuts out reality!

@dermot235 ...life experience could be in his/her future? Lol. Yes, when we can ‘view’ ourselves with ‘all of our warts and all,’. we stand in our own truth, facing reality as it happens! And sometimes, the stings will really hurt us! But, at least we know where the ‘corrections’ need to take place!

@Freedompath Your words are wiser than your years. And excuse me for saying so but that's WISE. It's such a shame when people dig trenches and stay in them, refusing to look at what's really happening when they look around them. It seems to be compounded by a lack of empathy. I'm afraid to think about where this will all end

@dermot235, @Freedompath I am going to leave it here. Not responding to specific statements at this point because I like to discuss the politics, not concerned with personal issues. I was a fan of former Pres. Obama, still am, though I wasn't following politics as much and want to learn more about his specific policies myself. But here he is directing responsibility to mayors.

@dermot235 thanks, but it is from my life experience and study...
It is sad and scary, as our leaders cannot bring us to our ‘better natures!’ At least most of the ones that we have now, welding the most power! If I were a young person coming of age now, I would feel confused! We need to feel safe and to think that we matter in the scheme of things and have something to contribute to life! But, the most emphasis is now placed on entertainment, outter appearance and wealth. All of which is fleeting! ‘Human emptiness’ is not a productive place for us to reside!

@Flowerwall I am allowed not to agree with OBAMA???

@Flowerwall so you think it is just peachy that those cops were Judge, Jury, & Executioner? Jeffrey Dahmer got an actual Trial! Oh, wait, he was white......

@Flowerwall ...sorry, but you cannot separate personal issues from politics! Not unless you wish to grow your politics in a petre dish? A government is to help keep order in the citizenry. That government has the authority to put in place what constitutes the working of a healthy society. But, don’t you think that the government needs to study how humans operate at their best/worst so that measures are put in place to achieve the best outcomes? That is my last thoughts...good luck.

@Freedompath, @dermot235 "It is sad and scary, as our leaders cannot bring us to our ‘better natures!’" EXACTLY. I have heard people criticize former Pres. Obama on this website! I don't understand. We need to find our highest functioning, most proficient leaders whether past or present and cling to them like life rafts because the current leaders are failing us.

@AnneWimsey "so you think it is just peachy that those cops were Judge, Jury, & Executioner? Jeffrey Dahmer got an actual Trial! Oh, wait, he was white......" I don't know what you are talking about. I am talking about the effectiveness of our current system. If you are confused about my opinions on Floyd case please look upward. If you are confused on my opinion of systemic racism, please see clip posted above by former Pres. Obama. I will trust his opinion probably more than anyone else, unless I see strong conclusive evidence otherwise and even then I would still be half doubting that someone made it up!

@Flowerwall my advice is...never ‘cling’ to any leader or person! Use the good that they offer and keep on ‘trucking’...no one person has all the answers, but true... some have a lot more than others! I too, am a fan of Obama, but he is just a good man and granted we could use a lot more of ‘good’ people at this time. But, we will always need to seek a balance...and at this moment we are way out of BALANCE, for the ‘better human attribute’ side. It will take hard work and steadiness to bring some decency to our government and to some of the citizens...but it must be done if we plan on having a healthy (physical and mental) society. Seek truth and stand in it...it is the best thing that any of us to do.

@Flowerwall "We need to find our highest functioning, most proficient leaders whether past or present and cling to them like life rafts because the current leaders are failing us."
At last we agree on something

@Freedompath "never ‘cling’ to any leader or person! " Well I think that former Pres. Obama perspective is THE perspective that offers us the most here. He was at the TOP. I think if he saw more that was of concern and needing change he would have stated it. He is saying mayors. He also talks about more data that's been collected, which are opportunities to learn from and improve. Wondering what data specifically he refers to in the clip.

Additionally, the younger you are and the less life experience you have, clinging to the ideas of the greatest leaders is a good idea. We need to feel some sense of stability here because it's all very out of control for the time being.

@Flowerwall I hear you...at one time or other we all were looking for a Guru, to ‘lead us’ to our better natures and some place safe. And yes, Obama comes out of a ‘good and intelligent’ nature. And I am certain he would bend over backwards in order to not lead anyone astray! But I must remind you that ...no one is going to live your life, so advice cannot be specific to your every need. What Obama or anyone else, might advise you to do in a situation that you might face, might not cover all the elements in what is happening in your situation, so you will still need to use your own good sense and use what you can, from others and help yourself! You want to think for yourself, not follow others blindly...no matter how high their status...that would be folly!

@Freedompath I just started watching recent interview with former Pres. Obama and My Brother's Keeper Org. It's a long presentation and really overviews the position he takes. I went through quickly and already find one aspect that has me questioning. I need to listen to it more. I don't want to start critiquing his ideas without fully listening.

@Flowerwall That makes ‘good sense!’ That approach will serve you well, if you keep it always in your mind. Your personal integrity is your most valuable asset in life!

@Freedompath Troubled in the video by Councilman 's statements that his ward was "terrorized by white supremacists " and the follow up action of his council is disband police? How would this make sense? City has been targeted (according to what he has publicly stated) and THAT is the response? What am I missing here? What if more attacks are planned? How would the city fare with a newly formed community-led model? As a response to be terrorized I don't understand it. The destruction was very devastating to the city. It seemed to overwhelm. Why break down the only organized system you have to combat it NOW?

@Flowerwall I don’t believe that the idea is to totally disband police. It needs a complete overhaul, so that every citizen feels safe from the people who are sworn to serve and protect us. This is an idea in progress...it will take a lot more information and public participation, to settle this issue!

@Freedompath Yes Minneapolis city council voted unanimously today to disband police. You said " so that every citizen feels safe from the people who are sworn to serve and protect us." What about feeling safe from the terror that gripped it? When you look at the overview of the damage it is DEVASTATING! I stated above " What if more attacks are planned?"above and I don't want to incite panic, but when I read of the devastation I feel EXTREMELY WORRIED for the residents. I don't live there (so it's an outsider's opinion), but I can't imagine how the average working person feels now that does. Average working people were likely not as fully represented at protests because they have other responsibilities that might not allow them to be there. What about the elderly? Preople with families. There have been talks of these different groups, not ONE or TWO, but a handful with different affiliations that terrorized city and then to say "no more police!" If I was a resident I would be VERY CONCERNED about these groups that did terrorism, more so than danger from officers as the criminal officers are fired. Unless are there MORE? I have not heard talk of it. I wonder what city council thinks about all residents feelings on the threat from terrorists vs. police. How did it ( a full analysis of residents responses) get assessed by the city council?

The entire idea of defunding a police department is something I had never heard of prior to this. Maybe it's a concept it's difficult to wrap my head around. Some of the alternatives presented seem like it would be the same thing for violent crime as having police, but just a different name. Quote on it reads, "One recommendation from activists involves a smaller, more-specialized force of 'public servants' who would deal with solving violent crimes." It could be the same scenario as now unless it is disarmed individuals, I don't know. I will read more.

The rest of what was said in the hour long presentation was well put together. I don't really have too many critiques of what former Pres Obama said. He is a very good speaker and listening to him you get a completely different feeling. He should give weekly speeches just to calm peoples' minds during this horribly stressful time.

@Flowerwall I think that you can see how easily your own fear can be calmed or tapped into. You are getting way ahead of yourself...try and live in the moment (even as you plan your future), study people around you, the same as you study yourself.

There is a big difference in people with criminal intent and people who have witnessed a lot of injustice and from that anger...they take to the street and ‘tear the house down!’ I feel fed up with the injustice that I know of...firsthand, but I keep my suffering to myself and write letters and sign partitions demanding change. But, I have observed little change...in fact, I think it has only gotten worse! You can only mistreat a person or a wild animal for so long and they will rebel and sometimes violently. The riots born out of injustice is not the same as people who have no respect for others or their property. However, even these people might be different with more education and opportunities! On your fear...’absence of fear is not mastery of fear,’ learn how to handle your fear appropriately. Fear is not your enemy.

@Freedompath "The riots born out of injustice is not the same as people who have no respect for others or their property." Most crime is not committed by terrible people, but by people who don't know a better way. Doesn't make it any less traumatizing on the victim though.

@Flowerwall Ofcourse it is traumatizing! In a perfect world none of this would ever happen! But in my 80 years I have found little perfection in this world!

@Freedompath I said "Doesn't make it any less traumatizing on the victim though" You said " Ilittle perfection in this world!" I was saying this in regard to how people feel vs. council's response. No, I don't expect city council's response to be perfect, but I do expect them to provide adequately for residents' to feel they are safe after being terrorized by multiple groups. It's a basic function of government. Nothing anyone says will change my mind until I hear it from the residents themselves, read surveys that a majority agree and see beneficial outcomes in the community. These things won't be something to see for a time, until then I can't hold a positive opinion of city council's decision.

@Flowerwall It is not helpful to try and ‘read’ other people’s mind! Even the minds of Counsel people. What are your needs? What helps you to feel more productive and at peace. Then lend a hand when others feel threatened or lost...let them know you stand with them. They will regain their composure and carry on soon enough and this applies to yourself as well. I realize that this is an idealistic view, but this is the way I live my life and it has worked for me. However, it is hard emotional and sometimes physical work...trying to figure out the right thing in every situation, but my approach gives me strength to plow-on another day!

@Freedompath "It is not helpful to try and ‘read’ other people’s mind!" I'm not. Basing off of a reasonable assumption, a survey conducted in Minneapolis community last year (I linked In another post) , and what I have heard officials from other cities say about residents feelings on disbanding police.

Thanks for the personal suggestions on managing emotions. Very thoughtful! But it's not myself I am so concerned about, as I said I don't live there. I will feel better when I know the residents are being treated fairly and life has returned to normal and is improving for them.

@Flowerwall You seem to be identifying with your ‘fellowman!’ That is a good thing. But, it is not selfish to pay attention to your own needs...as if you are in a weakened state, you will not be able to help anyone else. If we keep our resolve up and lend our helping hands when others are ‘down for the count ‘ that provides enough support for any of us. But, I never try to carry another person’s load...that is their job! That would cheat them of building growth for the hard times that may come sooner or later.

@Flowerwall One other note on caring for our self. Once we learn what supports our nature, then we will pass that on to others. And everyone becomes stronger. Nothing helps other people more, than having an example of how to weather the ‘stones and arrows’ of living in this world.

@Freedompath I appreciate your thoughtful words.

@Freedompath Apparently I am not the only person who holds an unfavorable opinion of Minneapolis City Council decision. An organization that is local to Minneapolis, Communities United Against Police Brutality, has fought against police brutality for 20 years locally there has described Council's decision in highly unfavorable terms using words like "pandering" and 'pose as great reformers while doing absolutely nothing,'

@Flowerwall Gosh...I hope they understand their way is not supporting anything, but their selfish aims! Hopefully ‘the people’ will have the last say...and a better future will emerge!

@Freedompath Well this is the problem. If we want to TRULY solve the issues of racial inequality in our society, poverty and crime as well, we have to focus on the right actions. Being involved and caring is a first step, but we have to make sure the actions that will solve or at least greatly reduce the problems are the ones to focus on, otherwise we lose time and the problems continue or worsen.

@Flowerwall Change is slow and if we get ahead of our selves, we will miss the progress! It is true that Rome, was not built in a day. And since all actions come out of our brains, altering them to better serve us and our society will come very slowing. We have been conditioned to expect every thing upon demand...nothing but McDonalds works that way. Monitor your own progress, with something that you wish to improve. It will have ‘fits and starts,’ and change very slowly...this is human, we are all humans!

@Freedompath "It is true that Rome, was not built in a day." Very true. It was, however, destroyed in large part due to bad governance. Just worked on something related to that idea recently, lol.

"Monitor your own progress, with something that you wish to improve. It will have ‘fits and starts,’ and change very slowly...this is human, we are all humans!" Agreed

@Freedompath he didnt get chocked to death, he put his knee on his carotid artery to stop the blood flow to the brain.

@Rich177 lying on his stomach and pressing on his neck as shown, would also cut off his oxygen. He had a double dose, either one would kill a person.

@Freedompath he died from lack of blood flow to the brain, the carotid artery was his target, he knew what he was doing. To cut off the flow of air, you go to the front of the neck to choke then air supply. The side of the neck is a major artery called the carotid artery and arteries shoot MASSIVE amounts of blood and by stopping the flow of blood ensured that the brain would not get the oxygen needed.

@Rich177, @Freedompath "he knew what he was doing" Yes, I don't know how it happened, the exact process, but something about it appears very intentional.

@Rich177 I was a nurse...where are you coming from?

@Rich177 you need to Google the ‘Independent autopsy report’...if you are here to ‘rag’ people it want set well!

@Freedompath look in the mirror

@Rich177 I see you are working on your ‘gaslighting’ skills! You will need to ‘hit’ the ’nubees,’ because your talent want fly with the ‘seasoned,’ members here!

@Freedompath look in the mirror lol

@dermot235 maybe it is due to the news media.

The racists just do not want to let go.

Btw, it was not the mayor, but a major with the Tulsa police department, who made the incendiary statement during an
interview.

The mayor spoke out against the arrest and handcuffing of two black teenagers for jaywalking.

sad to see USA going backwards and the president is silent about injustice but twitter-critical about all else.

@TimeOutForMe Unfortunately, we really aren't "going backwards" at all.
This is who we've always been.

As far as 45 goes, he's been a pos racist his entire life. His daddy raised him that way.

What appears to be different now is through social media, and everyone having a camera, this shit is getting documented and shared in real time.
The long history of racism and police violence is being broadcast regularly.
People of color have been continuously abused by all the systems in this country, and now, white people no longer have the luxury of ignoring it.
It's also making it easier to see which white people still have no problem with it.

@KKGator soooo thankful for social media. They thought they'll commit their deeds and no knowing of it. Yes nice to see and expose "those" white people. Like I always say - "They're" still on that bus where the wheels are flat but refuse to climb off. Those ones who made it by just their skin colour. Those "inferior-minded" ones where the bank balance doesn't make them any less inferior. Their mentality is on the ground but still not worth the soil. I say go for bringing down those colonial statues. It uplifts one kind and disrespects another.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505131
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.