Agnostic.com

17 4

What lead you to agnosticism? Two things influenced me to dig deeper into my mainstream religious beliefs (southern baptist & Presbyterian); (1) the Worldwide Church of God and later, (2) Zechariah Sitchen. Before you gag, Herbert W. Armstrong of the WCG was so removed from common Protestant teachings that his radio presentations at least began to debunk many beliefs I had held throughout my childhood. His teachings (if you can call them that) at least encouraged me to study more. I hate to admit, it took me several years to see the errors of his teachings and begin to see the false teachings of other denominations as well. Then I began reading books written by Sitchen which helped convince me there is no god. Not that I agree with info Sitchen presented but it did help wake me up.

Justme43 7 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a child I heard the story of Noah, the man who floated around on an arc filled with animals. I wasn't old enough to understand that the arc was impossible, but my mind was alert enough to notice that it was insane for Noah to make a ritual sacrifice of one of the only birds left in the world and this pointless bird-murder pleased god so much he promised to never drown the entire world again.

From there it spiraled.

All it took was common sense and thinking for myself .Absolutely no outside influence was required for me to come to this conclusion when I was a child .

Common sense is enough to seriously doubt and reject religion.

I went into agnosticism because I doubted what I was told by religious cretins. I went out of agnosticism and into atheism when I realised the value of the Scientific Method.

Philosophical exactness.
It is impossible to refute unfalsifiable claims by definition. Most of gods are unfalsifiable concepts.
BUT also unfalsifiable claims are useless, so to be sure, you just ignore unfalsifiable claims and act with what you can at least verify.

I blame God for making me an Atheist. 😛

A lifelong skeptic, I never believed in an invisible god. At age five, when I was forced to go to Sunday school, I inwardly scoffed at ridiculous Bible stories.

"Mom, I decided I'm an atheist," I said at 13. "I don't want to go to church anymore."

"That's fine, honey," she replied calmly. "What do you want for dinner?"

Twenty years later, Mom revealed: "I became an atheist in nursing school, when I realized a woman cannot be turned into salt." She laughed.

There could be pixies living in my shoes but I am just not convinced. Maybe I am a "pixieist" and not an atheist.

You said, "...helped convince me there is no God." That would be atheism not agnosticism.

Word Level 8 June 17, 2020

Perhaps I should have stated, “helped convince me there is no EVIDENCE for the existence of a god”. 😉

@Justme43 I guess you can believe what you want, but their is evidence that does exist.

Personally speaking, I could say categorically that at the age of around 8-10 years I went direct from doubting the rubbish they spoke in EVERY Sunday School and School Scripture Classes I was forced to attend to Atheism, No Stopping/passing Go, just a dead straight line to Reality, Logical Thinking, etc, etc and there I have remained for the last 50+ years of my life.
When, like I did at the ages of about 8-10 years, you merely ask a Priest/Minister a simple question such as " If God orders everyone NOT to commit the sin of Adultery but goes and does it himself why is he right and we are wrong?"
And the answer comes back as " Because God can do wrong because God is God."
And then because you continue to question WHY God can do no wrong the next thing that happens is you get, literally and physically dragged up in front of the class, berated and handed a note telling your parents the " You are Expelled and no longer welcome at Sunday School/Scripture Class" IF you are anything like me then you start thinking things like, "What ARE they trying to hide," " How do they know all this about God but no-one has ever met this God" and why are there so many books other Teachers use to educate us and everything else and only ONE about God."

I started questioning if God was real when I found out Santa wasn't real. I remember thinking that if my parents were lying to me, were they also lying about God? What about the Easter Bunny? LOL

My dad was a choir director and my mom was an organist at church, so we went every Sunday. I remember thinking all of the stories they told at Sunday School seemed really far fetched. We stopped going to church when I was in third grade and my folks split. I found out about 10 years ago (I'm 51) that Mom, Dad and my brother are all atheists too. We just never talked about it.

JenWCS Level 4 June 17, 2020

Nothing. Literally nothing.

I hated anything to do with it when I was about 5 years old when I was made to go to a bloody Sunday school after a week of school that I also didn't like. really I didn't believe in a GOD before I really knew what a God was.

I don't use labels at all because there is no label for people who don't believe in bullshit.

Once they hit me with the talking snake, I hit them with the side eye. When they told me about the ark; I told them dueces. When I found out that no archeological evidence exists to corroborate the life and existence of the figure called, Jesus, Moses and the entire exodus. I was done. Checked out. Fin.

SCal Level 7 June 17, 2020

I grew up in a house that was not particularly religious. When I was a teenager I started having doubts and questioning some bible passages. Then the father of one of my best friends, a Doctor, told us about his free-thinking and lent us books like "Why I'm not a Christian", "Mysticism and Logic" and "Marriage and Morals" by Bertrand Russell; also "The Disappointment of a Priest" by the excommunicated former German priest Franz Stephan Grieze; and "Jesus Christ never existed" by Swiss freethinker, journalist, lawyer and writer Emilio Bossi. Eventually I bought all those books myself...

I enjoy Russell’s book, “A History of Western Psychology”.

When I reached the age of reason, I realized I was expected to believe things which were patently absurd. I was a kid, and everybody else in my world believed all that stuff, so I tried to work it out. But It got more difficult to believe it all, then my own life experiences began showing me the hypocrisy of too many of the followers. Between the absurdity and the hypocrisy, I was just done with it. Reading about it as an adult only reinforced my own conclusion that it was pretty much all bunk.

Bertrand Russell-Why I Am Not A Christian

Anything by Bertrand Russell and Robert Ingersoll.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506852
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.