Agnostic.com

37 14

Does anyone have any evidence or good reason to think that the pandemic is causing people to doubt or flee from their religious or "spiritual" beliefs? All I see is either trusting god or "the universe" and therefore following public health recommendations isn't necessary, or trusting god or "the universe" but it's still a good idea to follow public health recommendations. I don't hear anyone other than the small percentage of atheists coming out with the notion that there is no hint of anything out there that has helped with this in anyway. I don't understand how a global pandemic like this wouldn't cause many doubts. But I'm just not seeing it sway people. Anybody?

MichaelF 6 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion survived 1918...

I see nothing really except that people may be leaning more towards religion. I see FB memes where people think their god has it all under control. Then my oldest daughter went for religious ways out of a crisis when I refused to finance her trip to DC in relation to my murdered grandson's drug related death. No phone calls, no appointments, just show up in DC to see the DEA. It works in movies.

All I know is that I’m sick of hearing about divisions of people over the virus. I can only offer pointless conjecture on your question. There are people taking various stances on the seriousness of the virus and how they behave themselves, but I doubt religiousness is much of a factor.

I think it will sway people, but only by generation. Younger generations are watching how religions are responding to COVID-19 and other issues, and it is changing the way they think about religion. However I don't think you will see large groups of Gen X or Boomers suddenly changing their philosophy.

You know how it goes...

I actually don't see a reason to doubt based on the pandemic. Disease has been a constant in human history, so we should expect to see outbreaks and pandemics from time to time. There are so many other reasons to doubt the existence of gods, goddesses, and other spiritual entities, that the pandemic is barely significant.

Sadly, the 'sheeple' will be 'sheeple' no matter what happens.
Since they will only see what they want to see and blame such things as Covid as being ' the work of the Devil' and God as their saviour and protector.
After all is said and done, " You CAN lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink," so it goes with the sheeple in that, "You can lead a sheeple to reason BUT you cannot make it think."

I dislike the term, "sheeple." It dismisses others as thinking agents and elevates those who use the term to a perceived state of superiority. It's disrespectful.

@NightSerf Well considering that this mythological 'Jesus' referred to people as his 'sheep' and his 'flock'(which, btw, is a commonly used term to mean a group of sheep) plus given the fact that sheep will always flock together somewhat mindlessly then I suggest that, perhaps, you should have a chat with 'Jesus' about the term 'sheep, etc,' being disrespectful then, he may just listen to you, though, imo, I don't hold out much hope of it happening anyway.

@Triphid You misunderstand. I cannot talk to Jesus as, if he eve existed, he is long dead. My basic problem is with the disrespect shown to people with whom one is supposedly trying to have a conversation with. An assumption of superiority makes conversation difficult, if not impossible. If the people you wish to persuade perceive you as being an asshole, it's unlikely that your words will have any effect.

@NightSerf the Faithfools ( Sheeple) have disrespected Atheists, Agnostics and the like for centuries, they tortured them, burned them, sealed them witnin walls, etc, etc, and they still have no respect for them even to this day.
Imo, Respect is NOT a given right, it IS something that has to be earned and they have fallen very short of the mark when it comes to respect.

@Triphid There are problems with your approach. No individual theist can logically be held responsible for the actions or attitudes of other theists, whether in the past or in the present. The idea smacks of original sin, don't you think? I like Dillahunty's assertion that ideas deserve no respect, but people do. I maintain my assertion that the assumption of superiority that such disrespect engenders makes dialogue impossible. Without such dialogue, many theists will see no reason to question their current beliefs. Friendly and respectful dialogue with theists is an essential part of any outreach efforts on the part of atheists.

@NightSerf Sir, I neither see myself as being either superior nor inferior to anyone else UNTIL they prove conclusively that it is Factually so.
Fyi, I was born and raised in a very average Working Class family in December, 1953, the only son among, what would end up being, 4 other sisters of an Underground, Hard-Rock Miner of Silver, Lead and Zinc, working 8 hours per day, 5 days per week most times hundreds of feet below the surface of the Earth in often stale, humid air, rock dust, explosives fumes and never truly certain IF he'd survive each shift and see either daylight or his family again.
We lved through times when, more often than not, there were more hardships than hot meals just as did 99% of the other families of thee brave Miners here.

It seems to me that spirit in the sky has allowed this rona virus to spread and get worse to slowly and gradually kill people. For what reason, I do not know.

The current pandemic is causing stress to those people who are suspectible to such stress. My prejudices tell me that religious people, by virtue of being unable to think clearly, are more suspectible simply because they are less likely to understand what is happening in the world. If this viewpoint is admitted, then I infer that those with religious beliefs will merely have such beliefs reinforced ("God is testing us." ).

Haven’t seen any losing or gaining at least where I’m at.
It’s been more about political division and social conflict.
Those who worship a higher power and those who accept the existence of one are becoming a little more solidified if anything but let’s see what life’s like come the beginning of 2021.

Maybe we need to wait more to “see” the effect

Mvtt Level 7 June 30, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:511069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.