Agnostic.com

17 32

I really don't like religion. It's a cult.

I was born and raised religious. Religion seems fine when you're in it, I prayed in school with some of my friends. Saw my friends outside of school when I used to pray with people. It was always great. I thought people that disagreed with my religion just didn't understand. Other sects and denominations that did things differently just didn't get it right. It wasn't a problem with the religion, just them, they had it wrong.

When I was doing great thjngs for myself and in education and got into uni and went places I was congratualted, when I learned science and people thought of me as a smart person. It was always an achievement.

The more I learned the less God fit in. I have clinical depression. When I needed god he wasn't there. When I asked for a sign I could test I never got it. I read the holy book I believed in and not just listened to the same stories about popular moral characters. There was slavery and intolerance and sexism and so on. I grew up never hearing the bad parts. I had to read it in arabic but i don't understand the language. I didn't know why it was better to do that but I never questioned it. Some people probably never do. When I did I read it in English and finally saw what the religion was. I realised it didn't matter if it was all good or not. I did better on my own without the book and even if it agreed with me, I could do it without a god, what reason did I have to think that book was inspired by a god? I couldn't keep believing it.

I became an atheist.

I felt like I had to hide it from my family and I did for a while. Putting on a show all the time is exhausting. I eventually told them and it was okay pretty quick. But I still have to hide it from everyone else outside my immediate family.
Everything is fine with my family, we hang out, watch movies, have fun, they pray when they have to. But sometimes it's off.
I still have to obey their dietary restrictions when we're out or home. I can't let my grandparents know, it'll cause conflcit. They preach to me a lot.
They keep that side of me a secret with my siblings' significant others. As if having an atheist in their family will mess up their relationships.

Religion is only good for the people in it. Im not a part of it amd my family sees it as a crack in the foundation. As if me being an atheist will ruin their relationships, break the family apart. No more big gatherings on eid or birthdays or whatever. Like I'm a bomb waiting to go off.
Science led me to evolution, astrophysics, quantum physics, biology, chemistry. Never god. I used to be praised for it but as soon as it leads me somewhere they don't like they see science and my progress as something bad.

I realised other things like Jehovas Witnesses. It's the same. No one has ever recruited someone to their religion by gking door to door. It's the worst way. They get doors shut in their faces, ignored, shouted at, etc. It's terrible for them. But that's the point.

It's all the same because with JWs they're comfortable and safe and at home in their religions. They get a taste of the outside world, a world with people without their religion, the people door to door. And the people that aren't in their religion will shut them out. They're treated badly in a scary world then broguht back to their safe and comfortable religion at the end of the day.
It's about keeping people in the religion. Noy getting more.

Same with people who are comfortable and agree and praised together in church, they get criticisms from people outside of it and the only place they feel understood is back in the religions.

People are raised afraid to leave, like it's good to abandon people who don't believe. And people are right now. If they don't believe they're not part of your family. Or if they're gay or transgender and so on. It's for keeping people who believe in and reward them and shun or kill people who disagree.

It introduces ideas like sin or an afterlife infinitely ling where you don't have to die and infinitely better with nothing bad. Making this life infinitely worse by comparison and infinitely short. Who cares if you make someone suffer for an infinitely short time right? It's for a better reward.
When taking a risk you compare the risk to the reward. If the reward is infintiely better there's no risk you won't take if you really believe that. People die for religions.
They die for cults.

It makes you flawed and sinful and imperfect for doing totally normal things like being gay, trangender, divorcing, being left handed, etc. Then gives you a solution for the probelm it caused as if it was needed to begin with.

When I be myself online I deleted all my family. I have to out on a show all year for years. Religion is ruining my life and has ruined millions more in far worse ways. At least I wasn't beaten or disowned or killed when I told my family I didn't believe. Because too many people are. No one should be.
It's ruining people's lives, especially if you're in it. Fooling you into thinking it's something you need or even want but it's terrible.
It's a cult and it's the worst.

On the bright side people are against it and won't put up with it. Less sexism and less slavery and more tolerance for LGBT+ and other races. Religion didn't help with that.
When peopel are rational, reasonable and logical they get further from faith, religion and god.
We're winning and eventually these religions will be mythology jusy like the others we teach in schools. They'll die one day and that's enough to satisfy us for now.

And sorry for spelling or grammar mistakes. I am not going back and proof reading all that

MoinMughal 4 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion was created to control and manipulate the masses by those who were power driven.

All the rules they created were their own ideals that they wanted others to uphold. So in retrospect, religion is an illusion of many things but its not real.

What is real is that all humans have an internal knowing of how to respectfully treat one another and the earth, but it has been overridden by laws that protect the parasites that have taken over our planet and control us, and they started in the name of religion.

Wow! You put a lot of thought into your sharing! Just a couple of quick points, with a suggestion or two ...

"I really don't like religion. It's a cult."

Me too, but I'd say "I really don't like religions. They are a collection of cults."

"I became an atheist."

In your case you "de-converted" back to atheism. That's because we're all born atheists! And some of us--that is, those of us who were not "indoctrinated"--just stayed in our natural state of atheism our whole lives!

"The more I learned the less God fit in."

I would suggest "The more I learned the less god-beliefs fit in." One reason I prefer that type of language is that it does not presuppose that "God" exists.

"I thought people that disagreed with my religion just didn't understand. Other sects and denominations that did things differently just didn't get it right. It wasn't a problem with the religion, just them, they had it wrong."

You allude to the exlusivity that most religions operate by: You're either with us or against us. It's Tribalism 101. And my dad once told me, wisely, this:

"Religion is the one thing that 'everyone is right' about--and everyone who disagrees with held view is wrong!"

Thanks for sharing your innermost thoughts, and have a great day!

I agree with the additions you suggested. Normally when I talk about converting back to atheism, considering everyone is born an atheist, I do go in deeper about it but this was to highlight what I realised about religion as a whole and my life before and after being an atheist. The long paragraph describing when I was doubting religion before becoming an atheist I was going to stop at not receiving results from god and not believing it anymore but I went and added more. Generally I share my journey through becoming an atheist and that can be just as long as this post on it's own so I decided to leave some out so it wouldn't be too long.

This is so spot on.

And you're totally right about the door knocking; I had never thought about it that way before! Thank you for the time and thought you've put into this.

I'm happy for you that you broke out and happy for me that you wrote this post. Thanks.

You take good care of yourself. Indeed you are fortunate that your family doesn't disown you. Be grateful for everything you have and be happy. There are always going to be people in life who try to put us down, who try to convince us that their way is the only true way. Just live your life the way it makes you happy.

I honestly believe you should go back and proof read the whole thing, 😉 welcome take your shoes off and set a spell. Actually Islam was technologically way ahead till the 8th century or so. 😣

I'm at a point ion life where I loathe religion in any form. It has such intelligent people. The worldwide flood was real. There is a giant drain stopper at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

One of the facets of religion is that monotheism is the enabler of dictatorship. The one god idea is directly related to the idea of one person having unlimited power.

Welcome aboard.

As for the value of religion, I fully agree with you.

I know people who have suffered unnecessarily and in a few cases, even died as a result of religion. . . "I have killed myself so I can live with Jesus and my dead father in heaven" (suicide note found by her friends).

Do not forget that you do not have to tell anyone, about your religious deconversion, other than those on this site who will offer you support. Being a sceptic is not like being in a religion, you do not have to confess it. I know that it is hard to hide behind a mask all your life, but if you want to let off steam, that is what this site is for. And life is very long, you are just starting out in it, but take it from me, (very old) you will be amazed at just how many things you will see change over the years. There may even come a time when you, for whatever reason will find it easy to come out. Until then stay strong.

Are you pakistani-British?

I was born in Britain but half Pakistani and half Kenyan

I wish you luck. It can't be easy but at least you are living in a secular country rather than a theocracy such as Pakistan or Saudi. Ironic that you are described as a bomb about to go of when it is usually religious extremists who do the bombing.

Does anyone else have a problem with the Pledge of Allegiance (even without the “under God” phrase)? It seems to me to perform the same function for American nationalism that the Apostle’s Creed does for Christianity. That is, the purpose of both seems to be to indoctrinate—and to solidify the indoctrination.

Agreed. And that will be the day when I pledge my allegiance to an inanimate object!

YES! For the reasons you stated but also having to do it over and over. Worse, they force school children to repeat it daily, even kindergarteners who don’t even know what the words mean yet! I work at a school and I resent having to repeat it every day when around co-workers. No other oath or pledge is like that. Do spouses repeat their wedding vows daily? Do doctors ceremoniously repeat the Hippocratic Oath before starting every shift? Of course not.

We grew up with that indoctrination without thinking about it. My views changed starting with the “under god” phrase and that it was inserted to counter communist ideals. There are other changes that were made to the original version from an essay written in a late 1800s periodical.

I would like to go back to original version and stop the daily repetition and other times it’s repeated. I think it should be made an official part of high school graduation ceremonies, becoming part of the graduation right of passage into adulthood. If it’s supposed to really mean something that’s when the pledge will matter the most.

Sorry, I didn't realize the note above about the Pledge would appear as a response to MoinMughal's post. I had lost my place when I posted.

@Pjsmylz As part of the graduation exercise...: I like that idea. Yes, I think it could be truly meaningful then.

@K9Kohle789 "Create new countries like Poland" ?. Who wrote this stuff ?

@K9Kohle789 Actually my comment was meant to be a rhetorical question. Do you not read what you copy and paste before you do it ?.

@K9Kohle789 I wouldn't know for sure without checking it but it is likely that the land given to Denmark, Poland and France was probably annexed by Germany previously. The borders of most of the European countries altered significantly over the years depending on which empire was in the ascendancy.

@Pjsmylz I like the idea of "one nation, indivisible"; it's a nice effort to unify. But I, like you, question the value of encouraging--or forcing (more on that in a sec) schoolchildren to recite it every day.

And on this: "...'under [G]od' phrase and that it was inserted to counter communist ideals."

You give them more credit than they deserve! Under the guise of "countering communist ideals," adulterating the original Pledge with "under God" was done by opportunistic, Christianist (+) lawmakers. Their act caused an otherwise unifying pledge to be instantly divisive, and at the same time, placed monotheists (mainly and in context, Christians) at the top of the pyramid, second classing everyone else.

And back to "forcing", yes, that is a bad aspect of blind pledge recitation. It turns out that schoolchildren DO NOT HAVE to recite the pledge if they don't want to, but teachers typically don't know the law on this, and have to be "schooled" (isn't that ironic!?) on that score. But even if they do know the law (and respect it), the integrity of conducting the daily recitation is dubious and merits scrutiny (as we're doing). Orgs like FFRF and ACLU step in to help when the issue pops up.

• I use the word "Christianists" to finger the subset of Christians who operate to hijack public resources, like tax revenue, institutions--or as in this case, adulteration of the Pledge--to further their own religion at other citizens' expense. Christianists are a type of religionist; another one is Islamist.

@FreeThotGuy can’t argue with any of this. As for school kids being forced to recite it every day, you’re right as to the legality. But kids probably feel forced because they don’t want to be the known as the “weirdo” not doing it. Again, even though I don’t think reciting the pledge is at all necessary in the first place (hypothetically, if I don’t pledge allegiance to the US on the day I commit a treasonous act, as a US citizen I’m still guilty of the crime of treason), my beef is with the content and schools effectively “requiring” daily repetition.

@Pjsmylz Yes, you're right about the "weirdo" phenomenon. In practice, kids who sit out the pledge--even if the teacher doesn't fuss about it--are immediately showcased and singled out for bullying by their peers, just for exercising their right.The same thing happens whenever (illegal) "voluntary" guided, school-sanctioned prayer happens in public schools, and those children who can't genuinely join in on a prayer held by others (e.g. atheists, agnostics) don't partake. SCOTUS knew (god-)damn well that the non-joiners would be bullied by the religious kids, so ruled it a no-no.

One person I grew up with revealed that in her class, there were teacher pet, Christian "sentinel" kids whose job it was to watch other students when the part "under God" came up in the Pledge. Their job was to report any student not mouthing the words to the teacher, so that the teacher could then harass the "non-mouthers" about it. So to protect herself from such nonsense, she would mouth "under dog" at the appropriate time!

@FreeThotGuy Firstly, that teacher was a gestapo-like jerk.
I work at in a high school front office with two patriotic people in very close proximity and we get along great. The daily announcements play on video in every classroom and office. They always begin with a video of the flag waving while “we” are to stand and say the pledge. It would be really noticeable if I didn’t so I do, but don’t say “under 🎁od.” I resent feeling forced but I don’t want to mess with the morale.
I love ❤️ “under dog” haha 😆 and will start doing that. Thanks for the idea.

@Pjsmylz Right on, and absolutely!

I can already visualize you fighting a grin surrounding the moment of your upcoming utterances of "under dog"! It's your new private joke, "K9" approach for the dubious K-8 ritual!

Hi and welcome. Your path sounds similar to what many others have gone through. I understand it can be more difficult, even dangerous, when one comes from a Muslim family. I applaud your courage and determination to be true to yourself. I also respect your sensitivity to your family. It would be wonderful if they could all embrace you as an atheist and maybe in time they will. I think it helps that you are not taking a confrontational approach with them. Eventually they may see that your life makes more sense and an can be more fulfilling without the religion.

You will always be accepted when you play their game and shunned when you don't. Religion is a parasite, it only has what people put into it. It has no power to perform the miracles or answers that they proclaim that it does. If you reject religion, you reject their delusional hope.

As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth. - Mikhail Bakunin

No need to apologize for grammar or mistakes, we all commit word crimes, but there's one thing to be said about brevity and conciseness. Shakespeare said in Hamlet "Brevity is the soul of wit." More recently, Stephen King said "This is a short book because most books about writing are filled with bullshit. Fiction writers, present company included, don't understand very much about what they do -- not why it works when it's good, not why it doesn't when it's bad. I figured the shorter the book, the less bullshit."

They need a crutch. Religion will never go away. They love to play pretend and hope their fairy tales come true.

Organized religion is on the decline and there are now as many non believers as there are evangelicals and Catholics

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:512122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.