Agnostic.com

33 13

I’m a gun aficionado, and I sometimes post pictures on Facebook of my target after I’ve shot rounds; one of my religious “friends“ recently told me that it makes me seem violent or dangerous. I said it doesn’t make me look any more violent than a “Christian” wearing a cross for a necklace; the main difference is that I’m not delusional about the possibilities. —Actually the cross is more violent—

GoodMan 7 July 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess that would depend what your targets are ?

Buddha Level 8 July 27, 2020

What is your target? What does it look like? Crosses don't appear violent, imo. Shot up targets could, quite possibly.

Crosses are instruments of slow, torturous deaths. Guns kill faster and are therefore, less cruel.

@itsmedammit "Crosses are instruments of slow, torturous deaths. " I understand that is your view, though not shared by everyone.

@Flowerwall That is what the cross was used for. They nailed Jesus to it so he could die a slow, painful death. My understanding is that many were executed that way. OP was just trying to make a point to the cross wearers, many of whom don't even seem to think about the idea that they are holding dear an instrument of torture.

@itsmedammit The cross is supposed to serve as a reminder that christ died for our sins. Christians never implemented the cross, Romans did. Christians had far more creative ways of inflicting torture or death. see Spanish Inquisition. But I do understand that the OP was using the cross as symbolic of all death and torture imposed in the name of Christianity. It was arguably worse than islam.

@MsDemeanour Where in my answer did I imply that Christians used the cross for torture? I don't know if they did but I never even suggested they did. Whenever I think about Christians and their crosses, I think of how insane it is for them to worship the device used to kill their leader. I guess I assumed that is what OP was getting at with his FB friend.

"But I do understand that the OP was using the cross as symbolic of all death and torture imposed in the name of Christianity." Really? That wasn't my interpretation at all. Interesting how very differently we saw this. Maybe @GoodMan can tell us what he thought.

@itsmedammit ok my bad....you didn't say 'christians' used the cross as an instrument of torture but you did say "Crosses are instruments of slow, torturous deaths" and that Christians weren't aware of that fact.
I think they are aware. And as I said, they wear it to remind themselves that Jesus sacrificed his life for their sins or however the tale goes.

Thanks for pointing out that the OP was seeing the cross as a literal tool for death. It would be like having a trinket of a Catherine Wheel from the middle ages around your neck. Mind you if I did see a Catherine wheel around your neck, I'd just think you were into the wild west.

@MsDemeanour Yes, I think they are aware but somehow don't see how strange it might seem to some that the cross is a chosen symbol.

@itsmedammit Yes you're right......it does seem ironic

@itsmedammit, @MsDemeanour Speaking of crosses, I had a very "wow" moment that has me questioning my beliefs. Who knows. If Christianity is the path to God, then I'm there. I would say just give me a sign, but then could be told "I already have!"

I grew up around firearms I can understand the pride and your good shooting at targets, as far as friends on Facebook? that seems like a set of terms that do not go together well. I prefer shooting darts at targets. 😉

Crosses? Its because they couldn't make circles back then.

Never the less. It’s not nice.

You're right! What I said was not nice. I usually respond more politely, but that is the way my friend and I talk to each other sometimes. Sarcastic, rude, etc. I was firing back for other things said to me 🙂

. . . include marksmanship 'bling' with the pix 🙂

I get the point you're trying to make but its a weak argument. How many people are intentionally or accidentally shot with crucifixes each year?

Or crucified for that matter?

A point could be made though for the number of people hurt because of what the cross represents. Children abused, homosexuals tossed off of roofs or beaten bloody. And if we span human history far more people have been killed because of Christianity then by guns. I don't know that the point itself was weak so much as that it was poorly structured.

@PixieStyx That's a valid point.

Could you elaborate on why the cross is more violent?

I won't speak for OP but I can say that I've suffered tremendously more because of the cross and what it represents then I ever have because of guns. And i am including in that estimation having been robbed at gunpoint. I have also experienced much more intentionally propogated fear at the hands of the religious then by any gin owners including my previous example.

Id add to this that being a small female on my own in a reasonably large city, being able to own and carry a gun is a point of comfort as I am unlikely to be able to defend myself against an attacker without a force multiplier.

Lastly I would like to point out that marksmanship is an accomplishment and there is absolutely nothing violent about showing your skill level and how it has grown from training and practice.

Perhaps after reading the information from the below link, you'll reach a similar conclusion; or not:
[newworldencyclopedia.org]

@PixieStyx As someone who typically elaborates on answers; especially when requested, I couldn't have said it better myself! Your experience (being robbed at gunpoint) is one of the reasons why as a man of a predominately female family, I teach self-defense, and gun handling to many of my relatives.
I couldn't agree more: There is absolutely nothing violent about showing my skill level, and progress from training and practice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519077
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.