Agnostic.com

13 2

How does one process the fact when you grow up and come to the conclusion that you don't really like your parents?

Jolanta 9 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I realized that when I went off to college, but then I suppressed those feelings for many years. Life happened and I finally sought and got help. My parents were the result of their parents and never "woke up". Glad I did. Today I'm at peace with myself.

My dad's always been something of an arsehole. Took me until me 20's to realise it wasn't just me who felt that way.

I got along much better with my mother I acknowledged that my mother and I didn't love each other because I quit trying to win the approval I could never receive.

I was 22. She said something that crossed the line and I told her to mind her own business. She didn't talk to me for 2 weeks. I knew it wouldn't last, but it was sure peaceful.

Mine were pieces of work.. But had I not watched them continue to grow as people, I’d want nothing to do with them today. I had concluded, they’d done their best. And, continued to grow, if not on purpose. They’re now old, and I’ll miss them, thus talk with them frequently.

Varn Level 8 Aug 3, 2020

Only with help

I don't remember ever liking either of my parents. And I don't remember them liking me either.

As planned pregnancies go, I think people have children for two reasons: for what they can do for those children and for what those children can do for them. The second is not a valid reason but it happens a lot anyway.

People have no business having children if they are not going to make their best effort to:

1. Provide the best home they can for those children;
  2. Build strong relationships with those children; and
  3. Teach those children how to be independent.

I'm sorry at least one of these things did not happen for you and the responsibility for that lays squarely with your parents.

@LovinLarge I was born in 1953. I don't think there was much planning involved either way. And thank you.

@BitFlipper I know there's probably nothing we can do about these situations now, but just in case you had any lingering doubts I wanted to make sure you had heard an objective viewpoint about where the responsibility lay. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of yourself.

@LovinLarge I am the second reason for why my parents had me, not my father but definitely my mother.

@Jolanta I am very sorry to hear that. I think parenting is the most important job there is yet so many people don't give it the effort it requires. I wish requirements had to be met before people could become parents but I know it would be unenforceable. I think the effects of poor parenting are lifelong although the can be mitigated with good support.

@Jolanta, @LovinLarge I can see a huge difference in the way most people see themselves and their place in the world. It's obvious that most people get nurturing and some kind of autonomy during childhood.

I'm trying to piece-together a life for myself out of spare pieces of other lives. Sharing my experiences here garners a lot of hostility, but the feedback is irreplaceable.

@BitFlipper I am sorry that sharing your experiences here garners a lot of hostility but glad that you find benefit from the feedback. I use the block function to separate the wheat from the chaff. What my childhood lacked, I had the great fortune to have the resources to be able to make up for with determination and chutzpah. Please feel free to call on me for support at any time.

Thank you @LovinLarge. When you block a user, any post that person comments on becomes un-viewable. I've actually started unblocking people so I can continue to participate in threads I've already commented on. Blocking users gives them more power - like killing Obi-Wan Kenobe.

@BitFlipper I understand. I am very selective about who I interact with and no post, comment or thread is important enough for me to second guess myself. I am always busy and limit the amount of time I use this website so I want to use it wisely. My primary use of the internet is to liquidate my possessions and any other use is incidental. I do enjoy my interactions with most if the people here, however.

I get along very well with my mother but me and my father are polar opposites. Though I suppose I care about him, I really can't stand him and I don't like being around him. But if I want to spend time with my mother, who is in her mid 70's, I have to endure my father as well.

My father is pro-gun and pro-Trump, a racist and a bigot, rude, ignorant, and a jerk to me, my mother, and my sister.

So yea, I can sympathize with you Jolanta. We don't get to pick our family and it can be extremely difficult to cut ties with them without damaging your relationship with other members of your family.

If its any consolation, they have to kick the bucket sooner or later.

I'm kidding. Mostly. 😀

I had a love/hate relationship with my critical, alcoholic father. Dad was cruel to me. He died when I was 24.

Counseling helped me stop playing victim, let go of resentment and forgive my father. "There's that 'not good enough' message from Dad again," I think, and relax.

When you acknowledge negative self-talk, it loses its power. Learned that from:

"Taming Your Gremlin- A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way" by Rick Carson. The drawings of people's gremlins- their inner critics- are hilarious.

Recently sent this funny and wise book to my daughter.

I've read it, great book and it's been around a long time now.

I have no idea. I was about 35 i guess. We are supposed to be smarter than our parents. In my case, that goal was easy.

I think my mom and I would have gotten along, and had she not died my dad would have been different. However, my dad was a horse's ass, and his wife was just an awful person. I put distance between us, literally. I joined the Army and got the hell outta town, and outta the USA. It has been a process over the years to fully remember and fully identify the abuses from my dad and brothers. I read the book Rage Becomes Her before I realized how bad the abuse really was. It's a good damn thing my dad had passed on at that point and my brothers were out of touch.

You don't have to like them. Just show them any respect they deserve and understand that even if they screwed up they were most likely doing the best they knew how. Then protect yourself and do better.

I think the critical element is to be able to separate yourself from them psychologically, primarily to decide that the biological tie only has the significance that you choose to afford it. You may resemble them physically but you can decide not to resemble them in any other way. The reasons you don't like them are valid and any decisions you make as result are legitimate.

I've been saying for decades just because you are related does not mean you have to like anybody, or be around them.

Could not agree more. Divorced my parents when I was 16. Never saw them again. I turned 72 last month and have never looked back, never have had a moment of regret.

My son and I are closest friends. His mother was killed in an auto accident when he was 9. I was a single father, moved onto the boat and sailed to the Bahamas where we met up with my brother and his family, also living on a boat.

At 14 he wanted to play football so he went to live with his grandparents so he could be in a regular school.

I was so afraid of becoming my father, I thought about every word I said and every action I took. The son is a great guy, great father and grandfather which makes me a great grandfather. Well I hope I will be a great one. Will not get to meet the little fellow until this Damn-Panic is over.

Had I continued a relationship with my parents, things might not have turned out so well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521288
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.