Agnostic.com

46 25

How many people feel they live in the wrong part of the country to meet like-minded people?

I don’t meet many people who are atheists or non-religious where I live. Do a lot of you feel like you’re in the wrong city or state? Just curious.

Hermbro 4 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've lived in the deep South and the Northwest of the US. I thought living in a large progressive city on the west coast would bring me relief from persecution by christians. Instead, for missing christian or religious person, there's another "spiritual" hippy with their own beliefs to take their place. There was always a reiki healer, conspiracy theorist or witch that wanted to cast a spell. It made me wonder if there will always be a certain percentage of dogmatic believers in our society, no matter what their creed.

I live in Florida. A weird state. But nobody bothers me.

There seem to be many "wrong parts" of the Country from these comments. For me, here in Texass, I am definitely in the wrong area for my belief system. I don't take kindly to conservative/repubs who seem to think that everyone who lives in this state believes as they do. I know it's not always easy for one to pick up and move, and consider myself fortunate that I will be moving to Northern California after the election in November.

I live in rural north Florida. Nuff said.

I here ya ! If it wasn't for the spectacular wildlife in and around the Springs ans forest, and remaining natural beauty (so far), I never would have chosen to be here for the humans ...

Though I've managed to come across a few ok folks every now and then ...

@evergreen Sure. Let's get together.

Not bad here

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 12, 2020

Definitely.

I feel like I'm in the wrong part of the country and the wrong time-line LOL

I definitely live in the wrong town and county for my views on both politics and religion. Not a lot of progressive/liberal atheists where I live.

I have been alone for quite some time. Good people are hard to come by.

Absolutely. And I am stranded here.

My case, more like wrong country. Its like I landed here without any fore-warning😂. No-one asked my permission😂 like someone played ludo or snakes and ladders with my life. ...or better still, a game of draughts 😅, when you're stuck in the top or bottom corner with just two moves 😂.
I'm just in the middle here trying to make it. I had just one Atheist outing over lunch before lockdown. I belong everywhere I've travelled. Like a child of the planet with no real home. ...when I touch down it feels like a bit of New York, LA and Atlanta City. Yip that's what Johannesburg's like. A rat race. Haven't had much of a social life due to covid-19. I'm hoping we (local Atheist Group) could do a Heritage Day outing next month to a Nature Reserve but with covid-19 still doing the rounds, all is still uncertain. Religious nuts all around me but I'm not quiet about my Atheism. It comes out when it's warranted. I don't entertain the §#! * people talk around me. ...that says not many contenders. Damnnnn 🤣

I'm out of place anywhere on this planet. I live in rural prairies and for the most part I might as well be an alien from Jupiter. However, nobody here cares what your religion is or if you lack one. We don't talk about religion. I don't like talking about politics either. Most people are quite civil to each other and just talk about the weather.

This goes deeper with me. I'm in the wrong time period. I do not like apps, games, the current media stance, and everybody selling you something. I am never smiling down at my phone with thumbs working away. I have to shut down parts of Microsoft permanently to get the operating system I want. I have never met anyone like minded in this. Maybe someday.

For me, like-minded-ness is broader than religion or lack thereof. Where I live, even many religious people have ethics and support humanism.

Cincinnati has a bad rap for being conservative and religious, but I meet plenty of non-religous people.

The question can be answered in so many ways too. I’ve interacted with so many religious people that I can say are like minded. They are polite and friendly folks and in this way are like minded. To me this type of overlapping of ideals is more important that if someone is religious or not.

I have always lived in the wrong area. Even the Atheists here are not compatible. Meanwhile, I have friendships and semi-romances with people from at least several different countries, and several different world religions.

Damn right.

You know you can move, right?

I feel like that.

I sure do. If I lived in a much bigger urban area, even still in the Midwest, I would have way more compatible prospects. If I lived in New England or the PNW, even more so..

I’m in Alabama which is dead on all of my beliefs but they are quite religious

You're an atheist and yet you have the same beliefs as your religious neighbors? That's weird.

Does that mean your beliefs are based on blind faith?

@Lorajay based on facts. Trump is the best President in ages. I/we support the constitution. Not into the god part though. Which do you disagree with?

@CourtJester i think supporting any president should be a choice based on logic and one's value system.Trump does not stand for any of my standards or values. Like most people who do not support trump I am always amazed that so called religious people who believe in a loving God and supposedly have moral standards that require them to care about other people and respect their fellow human beings support trump. I am shocked that anyone who considers themself to be religious support him.
Most of those religious people also claim they support the Constitution but they do not believe in separation of church and state. Denying this separation would deny atheists their choice of not participating in religion so your statement that you share their beliefs is quite puzzling to me.

@Lorajay name one area that shares 100% of any one person’s believes.
As a whole, I would say my beliefs are about as close as they could get to these folks with some exceptions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524086
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.