Agnostic.com

59 2

Does anyone really care that there is no afterlife?

I lost both my parents. I sure as hell don't want to see them again, nor my stepfather too.

How many believe there is an afterlife or want to see their folks again?

• 3 votes
  • 62 votes
Hermbro 4 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lots of people care, I care because I sincerely hope there is no afterlife, because the whole idea of never ending aware existence is a fucking nightmare.
If It turns out I am wrong and there is an afterlife, I will spend it trying to find a way to commit suicide.

Whats the point of killing your self there will just be another after life .

The choices are bogus, what does wanting to see your parents again have to do with an afterlife? Especially if your parents are both alive?

Don't you like those fun thought experiments where you imagine everyone you love is dead?

@JeffMurray that's fun to you?

@Mofo1953 It's about as much fun as looking up the definition of sarcasm in the dictionary.

@JeffMurray or the word unhumorous in the same dictionary.

@Mofo1953 So you didn't get that it was sarcasm and then when pointed out, you didn't get that it wasn't directed at you. Sharp as a tack.

@JeffMurray any reply to a comment I post is by definition directed at me. Your insistence in trying to insult my intelligence says volumes of your intention, jeffy boy. Now go play your silly games with other people who are as sharp as you because I do not find any of your contributions amusing, or funny at all, and I obviously do not give a rats ass about what you may think.

@Mofo1953 Are you serious right now? A reply can be to one person while the sarcastic quip could be at the expense of another. That's really not something you have ever encountered? Maybe one patron makes a comment about the reason for a long line at a store to another? Or would you think that patron was blaming the other for the hold up at the beginning of the line? I'm sorry you don't have the wherewithal to understand how sarcasm works or the humor to realize that was a funny comment. I made two other silly comments on this post and other people reacted appropriately. Go ahead and keep all your rats' asses, nobody wants them.

@JeffMurray fuck off.

How would/could an after life fit into evolution? No, it only fits into the fantasy world or religion.

I believe we go on to a different frame of existence.
No religion involved. Just a natural continuation of our consciousness.

No one can be 100% sure that there is not. I’m not holding my breath on it though.

I fully expect death is the end. No way ANY man made religion is real. So, why should I care about something that is a fairy tale.

Catholic doctrine says all living beings have souls, but only humans go to heaven - such B.S. We are just animals, no different than those that we eat, except we have figured out how to control things for our "well being." So, if something would come after, why would it favor us over other life?

I have zero interest in an afterlife, and glad there isn't one.

all that negative shit was part of their body. it doesn't follow you.

Poorly constructed poll. Two separate questions, one set of choices. Try again.

Nothing you do about it anyway! 😂

CMan Level 7 Aug 24, 2020

That’s interesting. I read so money after life experiences regarding a bright light and some heavenly experience. Well...after I was informed by my cardiologist that I flat line during my bypass surgery, I tried to recall any such experience. I remember it calming and dark. Maybe my eyelids...Nothing scary but settling. I personally fell more prepared. The idea of does doesn’t bother me anymore. I will be cremated and once again be part of the soil as the earth continues to evolve.

That shit don’t exist

Are we talking about an afterlife as imagined by Judeochristian myth? And now that I think about it, the word 'afterlife' is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it? If you're dead, you're no longer alive to experience anything. So how can it be a life after life?

I'd love to meet my ancestors and my dad died when I was young so I'd like to see him and talk to him as an adult . I might be disappointed . I don't doubt there is a after life as far as seeing passed loved ones Don't know and don't care I'll take anything comming my way though .

I was lucky that I did get to talk to dad as an adult or maybe I made my own luck. We cannot go back, only forward. The best you can do is make time for your kids/grandkids and talk to them as you would have wanted to talk to your elders.

@273kelvin I've talked to him in my dreams and that was freaky but cool .

@Besalbub I doubt if there is anyone who does not talk to their dead parent in their head. I know I do even now and its been over 30 years

There was no before life.

The Mormons preach that there was a premortal existence, but they are even more nuts than your average godbotherer

@LenHazell53 how interesting! Now I want to look that up. Thanks for mentioning.

Nope

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 22, 2020

Not sure what your poll hoped to prove. This IS agnostic.com 99.999% of us don't believe in a freaking afterlife

Level 4 wanting to level up. Post something that gets lots of "you are stupid!" replies ... points.

@AtheistInNC ah

@AtheistInNC Genius

No one ever comes back or gets out alive!!!

So why would one believe there is any form of after life, except becoming a mushroom under certain conditions!!!

I don't even consider it. I can't change what may or may not exist outside of reality, or even influence what anyone believes.

JimG Level 8 Aug 22, 2020

You cam believe which ever way you want about this .There are those who firmly believe in reincarnation and there are many stories of small children remembering a life before the one they currently live . On the other hand , if you chose to believe we only get one life to live and that's the end of it , then by all means , for you , that is the way it is .

According to god's precious book, when he described heaven, there couldn't be any place like that. Satan, the Lord of flies, Beelzebub, the devil, or whatever you want to call him had free will in heaven. Otherwise he wouldn't have tried to take over heaven and got banished. Therefore, we would have our mine mind and thoughts, so there would be sorrow and sadness in heaven. But his book says there won't be. So the description of his heaven could never exist. He would have to correct his own words and change them before it would fit.

I don't like the idea of being dead, but it is inevitable. I like the idea that there will be humans left after me.

I believe in a potential afterlife, specifically reincarnation. If the body is a biological machine, and consciousness is an emergent property of that machine, then if the machine were to somehow be fixed, or rearranged into a different form, it would stand to reason that such a machine could possibly regain the property of consciousness. I don't see this as anywhere close to guaranted though, and we probably shouldn't hope for it. As for whether or not I want there to be an afterlife, the truth is, I genuinely don't care. Growing up in a tough environment has led me to place zero intrinsic value on human life, so I am cool with ceasing to exist as long as I don't have any joy left to experience. Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm older though.

@TheMiddleWay it all depends, because if you rearranged the clock into an alternative tool such as a digital watch, a sundial, or even a certain type of microwave, then it would retain the property of being capable of telling time while still taking on a different form. The matter would have to rearrange itself into a form that is capable of being conscious.

@TheMiddleWay we haven't observed a single instance of those disjoint chemicals becoming another brain, I'm just thinking in terms of what's possible. We know as far as we have observed that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only rearranged into another form. But like I said, it's only a distant possibility. The likelihood of the same matter reforming itself into another brain without some kind of deliberate attempt is similar to the likelihood of an abandoned and broken clock naturally rearranging into another clock. As far as I'm concerned, I expect not to make a comeback.

I will die. My body will compost. I will have no problems.

There are no theme parks after you die. The fact that you were able to live this life means you already beat improbable odds.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.