Agnostic.com

2 2

Who 'owns/controls' (your ? ) Windows computer ?

Permanently disabling Windows ’s built-in virus scanner is no longer an option

Microsoft removed a registry tweak that allowed users to permanently disable Windows Defender.

[pcgamer.com]

[techinvestornews.com]

FearlessFly 9 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So what? It's disabled when an alternative anti-virus program is present. I use Defender and Malwarebytes, I wouldn't want to be without an antivirus program.

LOL, I run Linux since the 90s -- NEVER had need for antivirus !

. . . but IMO, the real issue is MS is making changes that users didn't specifically choose (or be able to block).

@FearlessFly, who would want to be without an anti-virus with windows? I've used Linux. Decided that Linux wasn't necessary for my needs and quit using it.

@Theresa_N Since 'defender' is included with W10, no one is 'without'. IMO, any OS where it is required is not well designed for the end-user. I am as against 'walled gardens' as much as 'monopolsoft', but at least Apple has "seen the light" and is a Unix OS (no av needed) and is better that most at protecting user privacy.

Lots of folks tout Linux "free as in beer' (gratis). IMO, "free as in speech" (libre) is more important -- and notable lacking in proprietary OSs. ymmv

It's always possible to also load Linux, which is free without support or paid with. However, many gurus will help for free for most issues. Unfortunately Some games and other things do not run on Linux. Dual boot gives you the best of both.

. . . I'm running Linux since the 90s 🙂

@FearlessFly Just bought a laptop, but haven't loaded Linux, yet. Don't use it often, only when my cell cannot do.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.