Agnostic.com

13 4

Two important things you can take from this study

1. The virus is airborne........which means isolating together is crazy ie if one has the rest will get. In Australian context, locking down whole apartment blocks may well have been a death sentence for the occupants who didn't have it before lockdown. Also, the practice of using certain facilities only for isolating travellers is asking for trouble.
  2. It likes dry air, not humidity. Makes sense as SE Asia seems to have escaped the worst of it. As winter is humid (when it's snowing anyway), perhaps won't peak as some are predicting in Northern winter.
    NB important to note just because it's humid, doesn't mean it's not there, just less likely to carry far on air.

[abc.net.au]

powder 8 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I still stand by my thoughts, etc, that UNTIL we actually understand the workings, etc, of such viruses such as Covid, we will never be able to meet and fight them on their own grounds.
I.e. WE need to 'strip' then down to their very basics of chemical compositions, find their weaknesses and learn to exploit them, vaccines are good BUT find a way to destroy them completely would, imo, be an even better weapon to combat them.
As to the 'Isolation' techniques being used, imo, they ARE only as good as the Aseptic Techniques, etc, being utilised.
For example, as a nurse I was taught that the correct method of Aseptic care was NOT to go DIRECTLY from patient A to patient B whilst still wearing the same P.P.E. simply because you ARE being the 'transporter' of the infection by doing so.
You MUST change the P.P.E. you are wearing EVERY time you move from patient to patient, you MUST re-scrub up BETWEEN patients as well as AFTER attending to ANY patient, that IS basic Aseptic technique at its simplest.
We used to watch in almost horror as Doctors, who should know better, would do their 'rounds' going from patient to patient without even bothering to wash their hands, etc, etc, between patients.
Imo, some Doctors, even in this day and age, seem to have the ingrained idea that ' No virus, etc, would DARE to even consider living upon their 'sacred' skin, etc, etc.
Thankfully I learned that at least a few Oncologists thought and believed differently when my daughter was undergoing Chemotherapy and would re-scrub after each and every patient, etc, etc.
Plus, imo, Governments need to STOP screaming about the Economy and recovering it, and just get on with fighting this Pandemic instead BECAUSE what good is a strong economy going to be IF there are very few people left to support it?
Every person on Earth is virtually in the 'same boat' at this time and yet we all seem to intent upon rowing in different directions.

@powder Yes, but both COVID, the Common Cold and Flu are ALL caused by a virus of one sort or another.
The biggest problem as I see it is that the Pharma Companies ARE making great profits from remedies, etc, than they would make from actual cures.
E.g. Sell a few billion Cold and Flu tablets each season and you make a fortune, Cure them and you ONLY make it once in every generation.

[bbc.com]

Hong Kong reports 'first case' of virus reinfection

I found this article to be very illuminating on the subject of how the virus spreads

[english.elpais.com]

Helped me come to terms with the air conditioning being off during my recent hospital stay.

So it’s Back to School in the USA! Recirculated air within overcrowded schools with windows that don’t open -- and A/C units whose air filters cannot remove virus particles.. A recipe for death.

Varn Level 8 Aug 25, 2020

Anything with the word "suggests" should be ignored until proven.
Jeez.

@powder Leeches don't kill you, and are easy to remove. I'd go swimming.

I have always thought that the virus is airborne. It just seems to make sense.

Ditto

...and all that mail I’d microwaved..

Where did you get it from that SE Asia seems to have escaped the worst of it? You need to understand that it is not so. SE Asia is not telling the truth and whole truth.

And when talking about the apartment building in Melbourne, those occupants have been together for as long as they have lived there. You know like you live with your spouse and children.

@powder So you think it is better to take them out of there, put them somewhere els and contaminate that place?

@powder Sure plenty of paddocks, but one has to get to those paddocks. Easier to do it the way they did. No matter how it was done the Murdoch press and the Liberals/Nationals would still scream blue and pink murder.

@powder I am sure they will but cannot imagine politicians letting medical professionals get on with their jobs.

Here is a question...if the virus likes "dry" conditions as opposed to "humid" ... How does that account for the spikes in Florida, and Alabama?

Humidity doesn’t stop it, only slows it. Ignorance no doubt offset humidity in the US South.

I live alone and will be that way for the rest of Covid, at least. So my only occaisional risk is going to a store.

Ditto. I wear a mask when I go. I do not understand why some think it is useless, even some 'real' doctors. I am pleased that they now recognize the virus is airborne.

@silverotter11 We have one of those on these boards, Court Jester. I blocked him yesterday for that, as well as his general arrogant attitude.

@silverotter11 I wear a mask and a face shield if I go to a store that does not require face masks. My state does not have a mask order, but I predict that in a month or so it won't matter as by then most store chains will have adopted polices requiring them for customers. It's sad that corporate America is stepping up to do the right thing on requiring masks in order to protect their workers when our Repub governor won't buck Trump and require them. There are also now a lot of mayors in my state that are issuing mask orders and defying the governor on this. So far she hasn't tried to take them to court over this impasse.

The good news is that, despite Trump, my state's governor, and the gutlessness of some businesses to not require masks for customers, it seems like even young adult customers are starting to get the message about wearing masks and I am seeing almost all customers wearing masks at the stores I visit.

Northern winters are extremely dry? ...and people are crowded together indoors with windows closed?

This virus lives in highly polluted air such as Wuhan, New York, Tehran, and those cities in Italy are all highly polluted!

This is a Hypoxia driven virus which does not allow oxygen to enter the blood cell!

@powder
Most common denominator is air pollution!

A lot of diesel fumes and emissions from coal!!!

Both are used throughout Asia and Europe!!!

1. Jump in front of a mirror

2. Put a mast on

3. Pull it down and light a cigarette

4. Inhale real deep

5. Pull the mask up

6. Exhale

7. Watch what Covid does when you’re dumb enough to think that a mask makes one shit’s worth of a difference.

@powder they are useless

I wonder why surgeons wear masks. It must be because they are stupid.

@indirect76 It’s so that I don’t slobber in your leg as I stitch it up and so that you don’t squirt blood in my nose and mouth.

When was the last time you went to see the dr for the flu and they wore a mask????
Because it’s useless for a virus.

Most of the virus molecules are actually smaller than the thread tightness of the masks.

@CourtJester You really are an ass and just as arrogant as the stereotypical surgeon. I know you're a doc and I sure hope that is your specialty, cuz' you seem to have the likely bedside manner of Trump. I am sick of your bullshit on these boards as if you are so superior to the rest of us because you are a doc, so I'm blocking you now.

@CourtJester ...sounds like the South is the place for you, ‘doc.’ “Most of the virus molecules are actually smaller than the thread tightness of the masks.

The virus molecules ride on exhaled moisture and spittle, wearing a mask stops ‘yours.’ When everyone wears a mask, it doubly lessons transmission; not to zero, but far far less than a church choir..

Watch what happens when you are dumb enough to think that a particle of smoke is the same as a particle of virus.

@itsmedammit your breath and particles travel the exact same path as the smoke.

@CourtJester Gee so simple! And I suppose the characteristic of every particulate in each breath is the same: size, weight, stickiness, consistency, and so on?

@itsmedammit Viruses are smaller than smoke and still carry particles from your lungs.

Good try though.

Masks are stupid for viruses.

@CourtJester Not all tobacco smoke particles are larger than virus particles. The virus particles do not always (or maybe never) travel as singlets. The droplet sizes are much larger than a smoke particulate. Masks have been shown to reduce the amount of droplets spread. I think everyone knows that no mask will prevent 100% of virus from spreading, but I think almost anyone can understand that any barrier will prevent some transmission. Not everyone understands that viral load matters. No doubt your simple smoke demonstration will appeal to those who don't.

[advances.sciencemag.org]

Of course you can believe what you wish.

@itsmedammit I’m a doctor. I’ll let you believe what you wish.

@CourtJester Good for you.

@itsmedammit good for me what?

Not sure if I accept the results. I live in hot and humid Florida. We have one of the worst rates of infections in the country. So are many of the humid southern states.

@powder it was widely informed in the media so you are not wrong, poor and incompetent leadership might have more impact than heat or humidity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527651
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.