Agnostic.com

15 24

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has filed a federal lawsuit challenging a mandatory religious oath for voter registration that is unique to Alabama.

Alabama is the only state in the country that requires voters to register on a form mandating they swear “so help me God,” without allowing any option of a secular affirmation.

FFRF is filing on behalf of four Alabama citizens who have encountered and objected to this religious test when trying to register to vote. The defendant is Alabama Secretary of State John H. Merrill.

Read the rest by clicking below.
[ffrf.org]

AtheistNews 6 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I vote on the shit ticket. It isn't always perfect, but eventually it gets the job done.

These religious zealots who demand oath taking sure like to ignore their own bible:

Matthew 5:33-5:36 is reiterated in James 5:12:

But above all things, my brethren, swear not,
neither by heaven,
neither by the earth,
neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay;
lest ye fall into condemnation.

And, it's in the New Testament so they can't use that "but, that's in the Old Testament" crap excuse.

[en.wikipedia.org].

Things like this really show what 'freedom OF religion' mean to some religious groups. I recently received a jury summons notice (which I can back out of due to my age if I wish). A previous jury event had me actually sitting on a trial (there were 5 woman and myself and I told them if they chose me as the foreperson I would claim sexual harassment - it did get a laugh and one woman stepped up). We had to say the oath ending in So help me dog. Later I complained and was told if I say something beforehand I will be given an alternative, secular oath. Shows the difference between my area and too many others.

Legally it is a slam dunk. Of course many could give a shit less ifmit does not serve JEEEEESSSUUSSS.

Roll tide!

Hope the FFRF mops the floor with them.

See?!
This is exactly why I immigrated to the United States, as a political refuge from the State of Alabama.

I always thought more polytheists should join in the fight against the use of "in god we trust" or "so help me god".

Having lived in Alabama, I am SO not surprised this disgraceful BS is still going on there!

Thank you, FFRF. 😀

The struggle for separation between church and state

We need to fight this until the end of time

Muslims - where are your balls? Why don't they demand it also say "...and Mohammed doesn't care!"? Or ".. And if this isn't really you, off with your head!"?

maybe because mohammed is not a god?

@Mofo1953 Well of course he's not! This is just a good old fashioned ball bustin'! Plus, muslims in Alabama probably keep a pretty low profile. Like xtians in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and all the other places where women are property! I'm a proud infidel!

@Stilltrying1964 sure, but this is not really a great place to ball bust muslims or christians or any other religions either as I doubt there are many here to bust their balls.

God gave us Alabama so that we could laugh at the legislators thereof.

Backwards people........maybe they should practice safe sex more or increase the number of abortions.

@SeaRay215ex well with the sheer amount of cousin loving in that state sterilization should also be an option

@redhog option? 😆

@oldFloyd i mean I think it should be compulsory but ya know you gotta give them the illusion that its not lol

Sounds l8ke something they would do in a third world country.

Sadly the US is fast becoming a Third Rate country.

becoming?

@Mofo1953 LMAO, sorry, I meant it already is!!

"So help me god." That really gets me. OK, did god help them?

Yes, God helped them to be total copulating idiots.

@anglophone Partially, but they were mostly born that way, or have allowed themselves to.

That is unconstitutional.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:540049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.