Agnostic.com

29 0

What does karma really mean?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Something done", or "action.". In its original interpretation, karma is regarded more like a law of nature--like gravity, or the laws of thermodynamics--than a "belief" or a "philosophy. It closely resembles Newton's Third Law: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

It's not about "keeping score", or "getting what you deserve". It's about everything you do (and think and feel) having an effect that's relational and proportional.

It's determinalistic - one thing causes another -
Cause and Effect - You will reap what you sow.
Creation – We create what we focus upon.
Humility – Accept what is, let go of what was, and work for what will be.
Growth – We must change ourselves not others in order to grow
Responsibility - Our lives are a result of our actions.
Connection - Everything is connected and serves an equal purpose.
Focus – One cannot focus on good and bad at the same time.
Giving – The way we treat others proves our intentions.
Here and Now – All we really have is this moment.
Change – Life gives us the same lessons until we learn from them.
Patience and Reward – Good things come from hard work, faith, and determination.
Significance and Inspiration – We will always get out of life what we put into it.

jeffy Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Personally I think of karma like if you're a jackass eventually it's going to come back around and bite you in the ass.

Not a damn thing until it runs over your dogma..

Nothing.
It's another fiction.

Like God, if it existed why was Hitler able to kill millions before it "came around" many years later?

Why are children raped and killed, many with their attackers never found let alone convicted?

Why are some born into abject poverty and others fabulous wealth?

If it existed, it'd be a piss poor way to do things.

I like your hard cold reality take on this, and I agree. Good things happen to good people. Bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people. Good things happen to bad people. It's a jumbled up mess of contradictions and inconsistencies. Only silly religions using subjective human thinking wired on the basis of cause and effect assumptions that cannot be proven come up with ideas like karma, because it makes us feel better, gives us a false sense of meaning. Our brains evolved to think like this.

What goes around comes around.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

It’s an imaginary concept that good happens to those who do good, and bad happens to those who do bad. Though I’m sure all of us know this is not the case, it’s none the less a better if we all live our lives as if it were true.

Karma is my dog’s name. That’s it.

I always thought (Who`s There) would be a good name for a very protective dog.

To me, Karma is the realization of true balance, some call it 'cause and effect'.
Karma is both a blessing and a curse, you make it yourself.
"Suffering is not holding you, you are holding suffering" - Buddha

There are many defintions of karma. Some have said that the present state of a person's life is his or her karma. One philospher told me that karma is effort = action.

Action!!! It is not cause and effect based really !! it is literal action .. cause and effect comes from the actions

Action .... the definiition of Karma is action ...

Nothing.

Karma is an ahrimanic bond that can either help/hinder your life/fate/destiny all in relation to your actions/choices that you make in your life. If you are cruel to people in one life you may be subject to cruelty in the next. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. I personally think that it is more of a superstition. It seems that most people that have good karma are happy but usually self-absorbed and egocentric. People with bad karma usually don't even realize it or wonder why life is always bringing them down. The people that can rationalize the good/bad karma and what it means are usually the people that deceive you. That's how karma works, I think....

It means eventually being an asshole gets you in the shit yourself maybe.

Eventually pulling the wrong move on the wrong person…

Varn Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

Karma and Dharma are Vedic principles.

Karma is the account of what good and evil you have done. The theory is that goodness encourages more goodness, and evil instigates more evil. You personally can change this balance.

Dharma is the path to righteousness. Following dharma will result in good karma, but it's noted that even villains follow dharma and reach favoritable results. Dharma has already been set for your life, and it is up to you to follow it.

Nothing relevant

Karma is nothing more than if you do the same kinds of thing over and over again good or bad - that eventually it will catch up to you with either a positive or negative outcome.

Karma is doing. It's a universal balancing that is best described as "doing." It has nothing to do with forces that are "keeping score." It has a lot to do with ideas that you bring good and bad things upon yourself by "doing."

The real meaning of Karma simply is, A person's actions determine his destiny. It comes from Hinduism. A belief that if you do good deeds, good comes to you. If you do bad deeds it comes back and bites you in the butt.

You do bad, bad happens to you. You do good, good happens to you. At least that's how it's packaged. In the real world, it's just like god, it's a myth.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

That negative thinking and negative actions will come back around and bite you in the ass.

Wrong. all wrong. Karma is the momentum built by all the other actions taken that go in a specific way and tend to make following actions go in a similar direction. It is NOT some sort of retributive justice as some seem to imagine.

I usually associate Karma with positive events that happen in my wife although according to Gwendolyn2018, that may not necessarily be the case

Not quite the same thing...🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54013
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.