Agnostic.com

21 13

LINK Tim Wildmon: Liberals Want to “Close Down Every Christian Church in America” | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Tim Wildmon, the president of the Christian group American Family Association, said on Monday’s episode of WallBuilders Live that liberals are on a quest to destroy every church in the country.

snytiger6 9 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a liberal and I want to just be apathetic to churches and let them die of neglect on their own.
The people killing the Churches are the Christian leaders themselves.

Keep them open but tax them.

i want to close down all religions' churches, not just christian, but I can't, these fuckers with their woe is me victim attitude should at least pay taxes dammit!

Amen! 😁

It leads me to believe that tim wildmon doesn't think the liberals are christian. I for one would love to see all religious buildings closed.

Tim Wildmon does not think because he cannot think.

Or burned.

@SeaRay215ex I wouldn't say burned. They could be repurposed to actually serve their communities.

Most liberals are religious so this is positively ludicrous. Second, while I would personally like that to happen, I'm a proponent of the rights of everyone to believe as they wish, so long as they don't try to force their beliefs on us.

Destroying churches doesn't really prevent someone from believing something...
The very existence of a church with its tax-free status does infringe on you. It doesn't force a belief on you, but it still affects you.

The AFA is a hate group.
Talk about a bunch of damned Karens.

Or, in Aussie parlance 'a bunch of Nigel and Nora no mates." LOL.

Well...not just christian, but every religion. Why waste resources on lies?

Close them? Nice fantasy, I agree, but what good would it do? Magical thinker sheeple would just flock to QAnon or Scientology, or whatever other cult pitched them the most enticing con. I would rather see them all forced to admit their doctrine is highly "metaphorical," shall we say, and to become less dogmatic and more focused on caring public service.
I know it sounds unlikely, but Hey! The Quakers and UU and some individual Protestant churches have actually moved away from fire and brimstone and toward simpler calls for kindness, including some lgbtq welcoming congregations.
I fear closing all the Xtian churches would lull us into a false sense of security in thinking that the religiously inclined were actually now reasonable or something.

QAnon, Antifa, Proud Boys, all of that ilk should be placed before a firing squad.

@SeaRay215ex Why on earth would you include anti-fascist protest groups in your call for execution? BTW, that is a category of autonomous protestors; it is not a unified group.

@SeaRay215ex It is hard to get more simplistic than that!!

So let’s pretend that churches go away. What do you propose to constructively fill the social void? I say convert them into community centers.

Thoughts?

Yes, I would love to see a network of Secular Centers helping the needy and offering counseling, educational materials, etc. And, also, have summer Science Schools replace Vacation Bible Schools.

Simply putting businesses there that post taxes will provide more funds for the community. Anything is better than a church.

There is an important difference between relishing the thought of churches closing due to their own congregants abandoning them in favor of common sense.....vs us forcing them closed through anti-free speech measures.
Wildmon is intentionally ignoring that distinction in his fear-mongering about liberals.

Exactly! I want to educate people out of religion not force them out.

@Joanne We need to make a distinction between congregants and their places of worship...

liberals don't have to worry about shutting churches down.....the dumbshits are doing a fine job of self destruction...

Are there churches that aren't Christian, and how do I find them?

Oh FFS, yet more Christian Delusions of Persecution.
Hey Wildmon and all you Jesus Jockeys out there, here's a little FREE advice, "Wake up and get a REAL life for a change."

Tim should study American history. Some of the founders opposed giving churches tax exemption because it was a form of favoritism. If a church can't support itself without tax breaks, it can't support itself period.

Well it's true of ME anyway...I'd shut them all down if I could.
Unfortunately I can't.

It amazes me that so many conservatives (and liberals) are willing to believe the most fantastical conspiracy theory about the 'other' and yet refuse to see the complete hypocrisy. lies or obfuscations and corruption within their own group.

What lies do liberals spew, do tell.

@Storm1752 No one is immune from lying.

@JackPedigo True, but please list some specific examples of liberal "lies, obfuscations and corruption." And what "fantastical conspiracy theories" do we believe about the "other?"

@Joanne Problem is, people are so busy looking at others lies and obfuscations thy can't those coming from their own tribe. Businesses, right or left, use advertising to get whatever they want. The media is often beholding to 6 big owners (Disney is one) to leave out certain things. Anyone wanting proof just has to practice critical thinking and look around. There are books, articles, reports and more that show the problems on getting out the truth on all sides. No on is truthful all the time and when someone has something to gain truth is simply collateral damage. We really need to wake up.

Yes, we want to close them, but I don’t think there is one church closed by liberals, or an example that they have even attempted to close one, whereas there are many cases of evangelicals trying to turn public schools into churches.

Does he forget that many church goers are also liberal?

Good!

Lies, always lies.

Yeah......turn the churches into secular community centers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544078
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.