Agnostic.com

44 11

Compliments

Have you received any compliments that have stuck with you for years and still cause you to feel good?

Donotbelieve 9 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can’t think of any, not saying I’ve never been complimented, but nothing just stuck with me.

@Donotbelieve all these palm trees burning lol

The people at work would call me the allstar. They meant it as a compliment was interesting they look at me that way. I was just doing the best I could do with the most common sense. I never thought of my self as being top notch.

Yes, I got quite a few compliments on a project that I worked on over 30 years ago.

In college my friends fiance was killed in a traffic accident. Her mother called my mother to find send me there immediately, calling me the Rock of Gibraltar.

Not really, but I don’t have an easy time accepting compliments except factual ones. I’d say the weirdest of the compliments I’ve gotten were:

You have nice legs. (My grandma, oddly.)
Your hair smells pretty.... (random lady asked me my shampoo and it was like dude, I wash it every three days, you smell NOTHING.)
The ubiquitous “you’re smart.” (Genius IQ, I know.)
And then the shitty ones, you’re pretty but fat.

Nope. I try not to hold onto stuff like that. Releasing attachments, equanimity, and all.

Not so much compliments ; though I could have taken them that way - Just my list of academic qualifications - whenever I don't feel good about myself i have a litany, to myself , of all the things I have achieved and it cheers me up.

I will as told once that I wasn’t a TOTAL asshole. That felt pretty good...

An old boss confided in another employee that I was his best technician but probably because I was on the edge. I felt so good about that I adopted that as my nickname, even wrote it on the door of my work truck, "The Edge". Of course that was before I was on psyche meds.

Yes, beause they are repeated by different people who have crossed my path. Which proves it pays to be kind to others as it leaves an impression.

im always told by who ever i meet that i hace beutiful eyes so i guss its the truth

A friend in college told me I wrote like the next Kerouac. And an author who does writing worshops I liked to attend when I still went to conventions told me that as long as I kept with writing, I would eventually be published and do well, in part because of how I respond to editorial feedback. Both of these are treasured moments, the latter doubly so because I spent a lot of time doing theatre when I was in high school and my first few years of college and an important part of that was being able to take critique and notes and understand they're for the benefit of the work. I had already switched majors to anthropology by that point, in part because it was going to be a faster track to graduation and in part because the college theatre program just...burned away my affection of theatre in general, and this compliment sort of brushed against some of those old sentiments and helped make the experience feel a little more worthwhile, if only tangentially.

"You're one of the few true Beat Poets."
Made my whole week.

@Donotbelieve I think that's the whole story

@Donotbelieve I thought we frowned on fantasy here.

Yes every day ,it's a cross I have to bare.lol

Oh yeah, someone called me candid....

Well. Once, in grade 7, the Vice Principal was subbing for our math teacher. After a little bit of banter, he said I had pizzaz. If he was being sarcastic, no one seemed to pick up on it.

Yes, that I am a survivor and before that, that I give my team 110%

No, because I don't fish for compliments, like a child. I have long abandoned uncertain, vain, impressionistic things like "social face", "qualitative analysis", "self concept" and such for psychometry, and other more certain metrics. I am fluent enough in psychometry, physiognomy, anthropology, health etc. to know about myself. Feelings are just functionality and health indicators that defeat the use of the cerebrum.

The fact that you responded to this (like a child) kills your entire nixing of "social face." Come on DZhukbag....talk to me. Have you abandoned "social face" on a social web site? Have you? Anymore big words you wanna throw around to make yourself feel educated?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.