Agnostic.com

37 1

Do you have nightmares?

Recently a therapist told me people normally do not have nightmares. Iā€™m curious if that is true. What is your experience?

• 17 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 9 votes
babsy 6 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mine are like I'm on a toll road and when I get to the booth, I have no money and on and on where I can't get where I need to be. Another one is that I'm in college and find out during the last week of the semester that I was enrolled in some class and had never gone and then had to make it all up and take an exam that week.

and arent you naked too?

@btroje As a kid I used to have a recurring dream where I am at school, after a couple of lessons I'd realise I'm naked from the waist down, then the panic set in and I'd wake up

@GothRik I had that same dream but I was still in my tighty whities! What's up with that dream? Is it an achtype? Is that the word??

@farmboy2017 you have to wonder. I have had more than one dream showing up to work with no pants and not realizing it till I am there

@farmboy2017 archetype is the word. I am not certain I would call it that but I know what you mean. It seems pretty universal

@farmboy2017 @btroje I guess it's all to do with our 'unnatural' inhibitions that are indoctrinated and over-stressed from an early age

@btroje sometimes. Last time I had to tell Johnny Depp over and over that he was in the friend zone.

Night terrors. Yeah. Frequently.

My son has them. Awful. Hope they pass for you.

@Archer mine stem from deploying to the middle east a few too many times.

I hope your sons pass as well.

@brandon-scott Thanks for your service. Sorry you are plagued by it.

I used to occasionally, but not had one since becoming an atheist about 17 years ago. I think dreams reflect our fears and aspirations, (as well as other emotions). Atheism released a lot of fears in my mind, I may get the odd 'bad' dream, like someone vandalising my motorbike. but that is the worst they get. The good dreams/fantasies have got better over time. šŸ™‚
PS I couldn't vote, since there wasn't an option for 'Used to'.

@babsy Wasn't complaining, it's difficult to come up with every option, without hind-sight. i just wanted to add extra data for your poll. šŸ™‚

I had a dream that actually came true. I dreamed that an idiot asshole because president.

After 911 I did for many years, I think it has not happened in about 3 years. Iā€™m from Staten Island, watched the buildings go up, lost friends and all of my friends lost friends. The surveys never seem to include my answer. Took 3 days to get an email response from my best friend who was a fireman on the pile, all he wrote was, ā€œItā€™s hell, Joe is deadā€. Canā€™t even type that without it flooding back.

Sorry for your losses. So. Sorry. Hugs to you and yours.

Glad I don't. But I do have reacurring dreams that have sequels haha

Ljane Level 2 Apr 12, 2018

Iā€™ve only had one like that but those are awesome!

If I ever have a nightmare, that signals me that I'm not getting enough of certain hormone balancers.

Seriously though...... night before last I dreamed I was in a hotel room with an old woman. She was taking a bath, and the phone rang. I answered, and a man said he was coming over. I told him he had the wrong number and hung up. A few seconds later I feel a tap on my shoulder and the same voice said "I'm here". I woke up immediately, and didn't go back to sleep for hours.

I have a lot of dreams every night, and some of them are negative, and some are positive. Quite often something triggers and I realize I'm dreaming while in the dream and that's a lot of fun because I become all-powerful for about five or ten minutes. But to answer your question, yes I have "bad dreams," but I don't use the word nightmare because to me that implies boogyman type dreams and they're not that. My bad dreams are like falling off a cliff, or living with my x-wife (not joking) or being shackled to a young earth creationist. (not kidding, an actual dream I had)

I dream often, have repetitive and serial dreams, with nightmare events occasionally remembering them.

Not often. Maybe if I have the flu. Or a bad taco.

skado Level 9 Apr 10, 2018

I don't remember my dreams - and I'm okay with that. That means no bad ones.

As a child, I had recurring nightmares that were like a Salvador Dali painting. After my divorce from my first wife (who had borderline personality disorder and made life miserable), I had nightmares involving her for almost 20 years.

I used to have very vivid dreams and nightmares in color every night, not so much any more. But I still have dreams that carry the same theme and occasional nightmares.

I still have dreams about, or related to when my father beat me as a child. Dreams of helplessness to defend myself are bad, but the ones where Iā€™m unable to help my friends a family are worse.

Rarely.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 10, 2018

I can't share the article from a paid CME site but nightmares are common across the lifespan and occur more commonly with stress. THey are only considered to be pathological if they interfere with a person's function

Now that I think about it... my nightmares ended when I gave up trying to be religious like my family and parents.

I need to write them down or tell them into a tape recorder. Steven King has written a lot of his works based on his nightmares. If you want to induce nightmares sleep in a cold room.

If you call conflict dreams nightmares?

Haven't had the waking up screaming my lungs out because there were strangers in the bedroom one since my ex-husband left (yes for real) but normal garden variety ones still (usually some dark distortion of reality). Think there is a recurring them here, except when I'm running a fever my nightmares are always about the parts of my life I need to do something about (as if I need reminding.)

Kimba Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

Depends on how you describe a nightmare, never had a night terror but most of what I'd call nightmarish are more creepy than frightening or a feeling of falling out of control as I'm not comfortable with heights

Used to be a licensed electrician, I would have nightmares about wiring a new home and the drywall would be in place before I could wire the house.

I DO have nightmares ocassionally. They usually revolve around my mother's stroke and subsequent death. Go figure.

They are not nightmares anymore, more like Horror aventure stories that my mind makes up XD

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54595
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.