Agnostic.com

23 18

Pimping out a friend on dating sites. What's up with that?

I think it's a scam. Today I received this message on Fitness Singles from a man in Alabama:

Hello how are you doing? What is it about your profile pic and your smile though?…lol. I was sharing my story with a friend of mine and showing him my profile when yours popped up and he been all over me about getting in touch with you. he isn’t on the dating site because of he work and he can’t be on a dating site/social media at the moment, so am reaching out to you on him behalf cause my story has been a success on here, i have found my partner and am getting off the site soon. he’s a lovely man, he’s good looking and lovely.

Do drop him a line at (email ) and he will write back with more info about himself and he will send you pictures too via email. I’m 100% that you would be thrilled by him and he will be more than happy to read from you except you don’t like or appreciate i will understand. Wishing you guys all the best. I strongly believe you will thank me later ! My job is done here, lol !

My reply:

Thanks for the compliment. You are the fourth guy trying to pimp out a friend.

Your friend needs to join (pay for) Fitness Singles and write an interesting profile. Post current, smiling photos doing activities he enjoys. Then send me a message himself.

Bottom line: he lives too far away. I refuse to live in the South. Kathleen

His profile was quickly deleted. HA!

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have run into that a time to two. I shut them down fast, not interested. Tell your friend to grow up and own his own stuff.

Sounds legit. And did he mention his friend's fortune in the Czech bank account that he can't access right now, but if you front him 4 grand for expenses he can pay you back $30k?

Based on his friend's writing, he wouldn't be up to your standards anyway.

You are right to not want to live in the South. I came to Tennessee some years ago. It is not "deep" South, but it is Southern enough to make me grit my teeth sometimes. When the opportunity presents itself, I would like to move to Wenatchee, Washington, to be near my sister in a sane state.

Things I don't like about Tennessee: rednecks, ignorance, republicans, confederate flags, religion, loud vehicles, smokers, hot and buggy summers, littering, speeding, racism, sexism, Trump signs, strangers who remove my Biden signs, etc., etc., etc.

There are some things I like about Tennessee, but my dislikes outweigh my likes. Washington is the opposite: my likes outweigh my dislikes.

I mostly like Texas. I like the summers. I tolerate the mild winters when it might go down to the 20’s two or three times. Conservative rural areas, but the urban areas are blue. A diverse state ethnically. Religious to be sure, but with atheist groups where you can find like minded people.

I did the dating sites for a while. Never worked out for me. I have a feeling that stating I was an atheist did not help among others perceived deficiencies. Anyway I digress. I received several of these messages from women with profiles. They all had the same wording. I never replied to any.

I have atheist on all of my profiles (when I tried the dating sites). I still got the "love your profile. You're perfect for me", when they have marked that religion is mandatory for them.

@kiramea
Men. If they find you attractive the rest is negotiable. Women, for the most part, live by their values.

@Sierra4 It's kind of hard to find me attractive when I don't have a pic on the profile. Of course their form letter always references my "beautiful picture".

I forgot....... the men answering consider any woman attractive if they answer their message. Anything easy is attractive to them.

That one stinks so bad I can smell it from here!

You do keep racking them up Kathleen ,or maybe your one of the few that actually posts about it,but it is good you do, for those that do not to see that they are not alone in this

Another Nigerian scam! I guess they ran out of model pictures to post online as profile pictures and are trying the wing man approach. It is probably best not to answer at all. If you take the time to replay you go on the maybe list.
It hasn't happened lately, but before all the social media started up I was getting the most lovely emails from damsels in distress, who sent me beautiful pictures of themselves and lovely stories. Sometimes I would write to them for a while, just to see how long it took them to ask for money. One wrote back and forth to me for almost a month before suddenly needing financial help to get back to her family.
I pretty much stopped online love searching after I almost got jammed with a expensive scam on Foreign Brides.com. A friend of mine met his current wife on there, so I thought I would give it a try. I started to get suspicious about the way things were going and did some online research and found a couple of guys who had lost thousands of dollars to the same scammer. That cured me!

@Barnie2years it's scary and like you say, they're professionals. There's some sick scamsters out there. Twisted and dangerous!

Same scenario has happened to me several times. Of course it's a scam. They're so obvious that when I see people on TV that are pulled in by these type of things, I think they have to be the most naive or desperate people on the face of the Earth. I don't even respond to them. Ever. Same as the ones that simply send you hello pretty. Or you have a beautiful smile. When I'm not even smiling in my pictures. Or the ones that definitely do not have any command of the English language. So many scammers out there. One learns how to spot them fairly quickly. It gets so old.

Hmm! I smell something fishy here. In the words of Captain Black Adder: " I smell something fishy and I don't mean the content of Baldricks's apple crumble." I agree with your reply and think that he comes across as bit of a creep.

There's fish in apple crumble?

@Paul4747 No, it is a joke.

@ASTRALMAX ... so was my reply, just trying to run with it

WTF
🙄

If I might comment twice on this issue, I'm once again in Meet Me tonight to find yet another "something" after me. The single picture of the girl is about 20 years old and from New York. (This part usually stays the same.) I honestly believe it was an AI because some things were not understood readily and were asked twice. Distance in the "relationship" did not matter, I was told. The goal is to get me to download Whatsap so we can be together. I played along until the suspected bot gave up. This may not be an exact "pimping out" but I find it similar. Rather than someone else setting you up, someone or something on the Meet Me site is doing it.

Once again WE are the product. The goal is to sell us something and even steal your information along the way. Whether you play along for fun or not always beware in this sort of situation.

Something wrong with his writing and word choices. Maybe the scam was that it's the guy himself hiding behind an imaginary friend. Who knows? I get similar things in Meet Me. Usually what they are trying to set me up with is an app. Then there are those who think you have to visit a completely different site to exchange phone numbers. Just join the site and my info will be on the second page. Paid by the click and by the download. It's now a way of life.

I tried setting you up with a guy from here but you rejected it. Lol

Tried various dating sites. Got tired of the "send pictures" and obvious form letters. Oh, and the "what do you like sexually" letter as an introduction.

I have a number of hammers to choose from... Stalkers and people that invade my private life are worthy of the cheapest hammer.

I could understand it if the friend he was wanting to introduce you to lived in your geographic area, but you're right that seems a bit odd and doesn't make a lot of sense.

You don't need it

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 26, 2020

I fear dear lady that that liaison would be destined to fail, as I suspect you are not closely related enough to him.
Have a little listen...

I had that situation where the best friend requested information about me for his very shy friend. : - ). Ha 😈 scammers. I think that dating sites are not for real and honest people.

Yeah, I've seen that multiple times myself. I don't get it either.

VERY typical approach used by scammers to get your personal info.

I've had several responses worded almost exactly like this.

This sounds like the exact same message you got a couple of months ago.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:546920
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.