Agnostic.com

30 18

Response to "I'm praying for you"

The other day, my 13 y/o daughter asked me how I react or respond to someone who tells me they are praying for me. In my younger years (teens/20's) I was filled with anger and ego. I would blatantly tell people I did not need or want their prayers. More specifically, I would tell my brother (who became an extremist christian in his 20s) as he would be praying for my sins and for me to accept jesus that his prayers were fruitless/meaningless as I didn't follow in his belief system. Thinking back on it, I felt like I was standing for something by being able to disregard anyones prayer to an imaginary deity.

Fast forward to my mid-30's, I've definitely calmed down. After many years of working on self and healing, I am no longer filled with anger or ego. I feel that I am graceful and more tactful in how I respond. Also trying to raise a rational non religious future functional human in society - I want her to also be able to thoughtfully respond and still hold her grounds on her beliefs. I let her know that I see prayers as someone having a positive and caring thoughtful desire. That generally speaking most of the prayers that come my way are out of kindness and concern. With that, if someone wants to prayer for me in a positive way, I will now say thank you and usually leave it at that. I see it as their own personal meditation and if they want to add me into it in a positive way, who cares?

What are your thoughts on this? What do you say when someone offers prayer or says they are praying for you?

Sarabobeara138 5 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When someone is pushy, my response to someone saying I'm praying for you: "Fuck Off" and I walk away very quickly....

My statement does not mean people stress me out, when they say I'm praying for you, it is merely best to briskly push them away, and continue moving forward...

I endeavour for concision.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣LOL

"That's nice I will be sure to talk to my cat for you..."
Often they freeze up and don't know what to say I find it amusing. People who talk about praying for others are egotistical and arrogant thinking that everyone should believe as they do through "faith" (a complete lack of real evidence even though there is a lot of evidence it is all made up garbage) but there is no point in getting upset yourself let them get upset if they want. It gives you a longer happier less stressful life to not get upset over their personal rudeness.

To me, IF it seems to be said in nice manner/tone of voice then my response/reply is usually, " Oh, that's nice, mind if I do your thinking for you."
Otherwise, if it is their usually in their degrading/demeaning manner/tone of voice then my response/reply is usually, "Please feel most welcome to insert that where the Sun never shines."

Why waste time with strangers? They don't know you you don't know them so prEyer is harassment and veiled threats for eternal burning your flesh... pretend IT'S well meaning or more honestly declare delusion is not contagious prEyer is talking to nobody anywhere in the universe..... if you know them gently encourage science and research to solve problems when prEyers delay solutions at best and at worst PREVENT efforts to fix situations

I think for her, she's looking for guidance to navigate the kids in school that are religious. She's mostly a very frank to the point person. I think as a person who strives to be a humanist, it's more imperative for my young athiest daughter to react with kindness.

@Sarabobeara138 classmates are very sensitive to most everything going on in schools .... kindness intended is not always perceived instead the religious are seeking converts to the cults they are victimized by ..... she might feel a prEyer offer is sincere and not a hidden agenda of hells&heavens while the religious might be rape victims reluctantly offering prEyers hiding painful body memories with a nervous smile ..... I taught my daughterS to reply to religious questions with another question:
" Would you try to convert a Jew or Muslim or Hindu to your church? Why try to convert me ? I am a scientist not a believer. "
My daughter's friends were JWs and minorities left out of the white xian cliques....there are no wrong or right answers and I am glad most Atheist parents here are embracing Humanism or Agnosticism or Unitarian Universalism or Ethical Culture..... the varieties in the freethought movement need coalition building skills to defeat sexism fascism and patriarchal theocracy ruling over us all ....

I have appropriate anger and any ego I have was earned. I respect your right to make the decisions that are appropriate for you. I ignore all aspects of delusional thinking so as not to encourage it unless it is someone I care about enough to discuss the issue. I don't see how you make the jump from someone telling you that you need help to it being a "positive and caring thoughtful desire". Religion has been a destructive force throughout history.

I think if people want to live in a delusional world, it's a them problem not a me problem. What I have control over is myself and I put out into the world. As a person who is trying to improve the world around me in a positive way I don't find it personally fulfilling to be negative to those want to pray.

@Sarabobeara138 If religion were a benign phenomenon, I would agree with you but it's not. In the larger scheme of things perpetuating religious delusions has much greater potential for negative effects than accepting a role in replacing religiosity with truth.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557290
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.