Agnostic.com

29 5

What have any of you used as a spiritual outlet

What have any of you used as a spiritual outlet. I pratice karate, and looking to go back to school at 65

Shep 4 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not use the word spiritual. Iuse weight lifting, vegetable gardening, and writing as a means of enewal of energy.

Lots of weed and a mean Twitter finger.
Seriously, going back to school at your age is not unheard of. I myself returned to school at the age of 52, earned my bachelor's degree last fall, then immediately returned to grad school.
It's tough and I'm broke, but I'm doing well and it works for me right now.
My most cherished way to work on my spiritual well-being is to just spend a couple of hours with my two grandgirls, four years and one year old. They bring light to the darkest of days.

thanks for the support

Flatulence.. 🙂

?

lol

I smell you, bro. I never considered it spiritual because of it's earthy physical nature, but I can see some potential for transcedence. And with the correct combination of proteins and fats, as well as certain spices, the effect can be artistic and spectacular. Good answer.

Sitting on my deck in the evening with a cigar and a glass of wine enjoying the nature around me is as spiritual as I get.

Moments in the dark. Long drives really do wonders. Hugs and cuddles, spooning.
Coffee on the porch in the mornings.

Do you like pina coladas? Or getting caught in the rain?

Pedalling a bike and observing nature while doing it.

Early morning, cup of coffee, going out on my boat fishing watching sun rise is all I need.

I also collect comics and have become a reader of Dawkins, Mosley, and Patterson

Learning..... That's it

Hiking is a transcendent, uplifting experience for me. It engages all of my senses. Most importantly, it calms my busy mind. I feel most centered and grounded in the mountains.

When sunlight filters through the trees the way it does with lace curtains, I feel an enveloping happiness to be alive. This is the core of being human. My joy is made stronger by the certainty that someday it will all come to an end. It’s a rare gift to understand that your life is wonderous, and that it won’t last forever.

@LiterateHiker your words remind me of a time many years ago on the Appalachian Trail. hiking along under the fog in the morning, the Sun filling the fog and the breath with light.

A Chapel in the Woods in Rindge,NH called Cathedral of the Pines you can walk through the trails and its peaceful.

I'm tempted to say a toilet. That's it, I give in to temptation. A toilet.

Also, driving really really fast.

no shit

Yoga, Ballet, Hiking, Reading, Music... It's a matter of what provides a feeling that transcends the ordinary to provide a better perspective of our place in the scheme of things.

Writing and art.

I don't need a spiritual outlet.

I am active in my local theater. It's a nice artistic outlet and it provides me with a sense of community.

THe ARTS!

Does binge-watching Supernatural while sipping martinis count?

Live concerts! The energy can be thrilling!

I have tried meditation and sometimes it is ok. But I like classical music. To fill my head with nothing but the sound of instruments is amazing. It's like I am there with Mozart and Beethoven. The room is filled with men in breeches with a cravat and doublet and they are all playing an instrument. When I finish afterwards its like a heaviness was lifted from me.

Heavy Metal !m! !m!

I like to dance hula as a physical, mental and somewhat spiritual outlet. It's something I can do anytime and it's very calming.

When the conditions are right, I also try to get outside to sit by the ocean, watching the sun set or rise, or really special is watching the moon rise over glimmering waves, and then watch the sky darken and get speckled with stars, but I can't just call that up at any moment. Bike rides in the woods or along the coast are nice too.

Stage performance. Nothing like it.

Lately been going places playing guitar. Nothing special, just end of the bed jamming but really recharges my batteries.

Best of luck in the educational goals. Went back as an adult myself. Fantastic experience, but I really have trouble relating with a lot of my peers now. Nothing like knowledge, huh, lol.

I get fulfilment riding my mountainbike. I love being up in the mountains, and I love the speed coming back down. Used to surf, but too many assholes out there now. Of course, to them, the geezer on the longboard (formerly me) is the asshole. Surfing in the right conditions, like downhill biking, is in that classification of transcendent activities in the sense that, as you are engaged, you are in the moment, you are100% focused and responding to immediate feedback from your environment. If you've done similar things, you know exactly what I mean.

Heat and sweat. Sauna, Hot Yoga, Sweat Lodge, Hot Bath, Hot Springs. Four rounds, As hot as I can stand, followed by a cold plunge, acclimating to the cold and listening as the world grows still and clear... that's nice. Drawing the bath as hot as I can and and beating a frame drum as I sing, growl and yodel wordlessly. I can't say what it does, but I feel calmer and clearer afterwards.

Meditation

Bubbling of water, the sibilance of wind through trees....nature sounds get me in a peaceful and connected mood. I take a lot of walks.

school is the best thing ever. well...its awful good. a walk is good for me sometimes, slow and observant.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55777
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.