Agnostic.com

47 7

Straight,bi, or gay/lesbian folks, I have a question.

Ok so really im open to anyones answers, but im trying to keep the actuall question simple.
in general, I know there are always going to be some differences, but in general, do straight people have an issue with dating bisexual people? or do gay people? is there a different name if you are straight or gay but like bisexual people as well? I don't have a problem with it but I was talking to someone recently who was upset that the person they were interested in was bi. I guess I never thought about it, but now im curious, is that a common thing?

Byrd 7 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't. Many gays-lesbians ad well as straight folks think bisexuality is a confused pre-homosexual end... There's more bisexuality is nature than gay and over 1,500 species of animals have homosexuality. I have no problem with bisexuality if in an open, comucatice and healthy relationship... If not then someone is bound to get very hurt. As a former licenced certified social worker with masters 3 year in art therapy before the PhD in music therapy... And a family practice in counseling of over 10 yrs full time and an additional 20 part-time... Nothing in nature is abhorrent...
Devienxy is only when on a subjugates another, rapes molest or lies. As a polyamorous male, around otter gazelle when he coined the word at a pagan meeting discussing open relationships between consenting adults...

I like bisexuals more than straight people. I avoid inflexible personality types.

I’m bi; I like women more, but I am attracted to both, have relationships with both.
The last woman I dated was lesbian, and she didn’t want to date at first because she thought bisexual women might leave her for a man. That made no sense to me! I could have left her for either, a man or another woman. I just said, either you trust me or you don’t.

I'm an equal opportunity sleeper around. Gay/Bi/Straight. However, I have not, do not and, will not go towards transgender.

I’m gay and don’t have a problem with any other sexuality. Let people be and love who they want.

I'm straight and have only as far as I knew, dated straight men. I'm not sure how I would have felt knowingly dating someone bi. I think I would have been too possessive for it to work. I grew up in a time of upheavel, yet still expecting old rules of conduct to prevail. I know I'm still surprised at a lot of things. My best friend's son is polyamorous and their family relationship is erratic even at the best of times. So much depends on the familial culture you were raised in.
I just finished reading all the earlier comments and agree that openness, trust and rationality is important in that type of relationahip as it is in a straight relationship. All of those factors are increasingly hard to come by. My first husband made a game of cheating. My second wrongly suspected me of doing so. My last two relationships ended by death and by mutual consent and were best because we were older and wiser. I guess that true and honest only happens via life's experiences rather than life's expectations.

I've never encountered it as a dating problem.
I have known gay men who were very anti-bi.
Any hetero folk who had a problem were homophobic in general so it just merged into the general bias.

I'm bi, boyfriend's straight. He was a it surprised when I first told him - but he doesn't care. I was clear that I'm only with ONE person at a time.

Unfortunately, dating someone who is bisexual would be a issue with me as well. Can't quite put my finger on why.

I am straight and monogamous.

I am straight and often date bi women, not an issue.
My daughter is gay and her partner is pan sexual.
But people are different, an ex of my daughters is anti bi. She is gay and really has a problem with people who are bi.

New studies show that bi people are being excluded by both straight and gay peers. [thebea.st]

I guess for me the issue would be letting go of monogamy. Getting over the assumption that a woman in a relationship with me would want to be physically intimate with someone else too.

@AMGT Yeah you're right you can be in a monogamous relationship with someone who is bi. I guess I was assuming being with a bi woman who would still want to also be with other women. That doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Thanks.

@evestrat Thank you for setting me straight. No pun intended.

Thirty years ago I new some gay men and women who were very anti-bisexual. The main problem seemed to be that they saw it as a half-baked or uncommitted position. Today, it is not an attitude I have heard voiced in Europe.

Well there certainly will be more competition & how does one even compete with the other gender(s). Should relationships even be a competition or might it merely come naturally. Personally little matters but how we interact as people. Especially now that I am solo sexual. So very UNcomplicated.

I dated a gal that was Bi, but we never had a threesome or anything....dang it!

I'm straight, and I would definitely have an issue with dating a bisexual or gay person. Of course, I doubt that I would be interested, anyway, because I like men who are a little on the rugged side, in both appearance and demeanor.

marga Level 7 Apr 22, 2018

You seem to be under the impression that I meant effeminate. I apologize if my post was misleading in that regard. Many bi men are far from that stereotype. I have friends who are loggers, roofers, mechanics, plumbers, all what would be considered very masculine professions (even though I worked them all with the best of them) and are bi or gay. But your comment has shed a bit more light on the factors that are at play in many people's lives when judging a potential mate. I appreciate the insight.

A lot of bi and gay men are masculine

Not so much an issue more just a preference - I have tried once with a lesbian friend at her request - but it seriously wasnt working so I am just plain jane straight . I'd say aids had soemthing to do with being wary of bi-

I am Straight but I have been out with Bi girls. It was great when she brought her little friends home 😉

That thought never came to mind either, and every woman I had ever dated was only interested in men. No opinion though on this one.

I've found that most straight people have a problem with bi or gay men. Not so much women. Why??

I've found that most straight people have a problem with bi or gay men. Not so much women. Why??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56297
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.