Agnostic.com

41 13

What, me worry?

For those in my age bracket, you may know who said this. I have for a decade or more, made this my life goal. I just made up my mind that worry was a waste of time, and stopped. I figure if it's something I can control, I will do my best to achieve a good outcome. If it is something I can't control, then worrying about it won't change the outcome and I will deal with the results. To worry is just to waste energy for no reason, kind of like praying.
Do other non believers feel this way, or is this just something I have figured out myself?

Barnie2years 8 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Agreed.

I think it's a prediposition for some/some personalities. I do it often. Moreso lately. I try to focus on 1. my previously noted assumption and 2. the definition, "give way to anxiety or unease; allow one's mind to dwell on difficulty or troubles." Yes. I often "give way." However, I have found that I do actually "figure things out," when I dwell. It doesn't always become apparent that day or even the next, but I know, most of the time, I can get something from that. As long you/I don't forget it's just how it is and it will eventually help, and NOT dwell on, well, the dwelling, well, it seems to help in the long run. Swell. 😛

MikaB Level 5 Apr 12, 2018

Alfred E. Neuman

The serenity prayer? I think it's just common sense.

I agree.

I thought I had figured it out and then got freaked out today by the Go ahead for the war with Syria- so I'd better start reconfiguring

Why worry? You are not going to be able to change the direction Cheeto is going. We will have consequences, bad or good. Whichever, we will have to learn to live with it until at least the next election cycle. Then we can try and do something about it. The point is, worrying will not change or influence in any way what is going to happen. And given his history, there is a very good chance nothing will happen, he's just blowing wind up Putin's ass as usual.

I feel that way.

with so much put in us - [do this, not that, go here, right now] most of us cannot drive 30 minutes without talking[verbally or mentally],listening to the radio or some other self distracting activity.

mzee Level 7 Apr 13, 2018

I'd like to say I'm free from worry but I'm not. Being brought up in a family of worriers, it's hard to shake their influence. I've worked very hard to reduce the worry response, among other things, in my life, and to be mindful and compassionate when self-defeating things like that show up. Usually when I'm feeling the most vulnerable, scared, or uncertain.

I came to that realization 25 years ago.

Worrying only hurts you and helps no one.

LOL! That's one way to look at it!

I try not to worry.
Still some things ie peoples health and such that get to me.

Figured out worry causes stress and does me no good so I actively procrastinate worrying.

Parallel sentiments: "Fear merits a man nothing" - some Viking dude. He goes on to mention something about a man's fate being woven in the skein of Fate but that reeks of determinism which I'm not a fan of. Another is "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst." Not much else you can do.
So, yeah. Worrying is a horrible waste of energy.

I feel the same way. I believe it's something we each have to figure out for ourselves.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56382
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.