Agnostic.com

11 20

LINK FFRF asks Biden to drop religion in presidential oath & Inaugural - Freedom From Religion Foundation

The Freedom From Religion Foundation is asking President-elect Joe Biden to honor his promise to unite the country by leaving religion out of his inauguration, especially the presidential oath.

FFRF Co-Presidents Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor note in a letter to Biden that the Constitution, which prescribes the oath in Article 2, Section 1, does not contain references to “so help me God” language or a bible. The national state/church watchdog is requesting Biden, as it has requested previous recent presidents, to honor the Constitution on Jan. 20 by omitting that religious verbiage from the oath of office. FFRF points out that keeping the inauguration secular will signal Biden as president of all the people, in keeping with the stated purpose of the inauguration’s stated purpose to showcase “renewed American vision for an inclusive, equitable and unified citizenry.”

HippieChick58 9 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree. I had enough of religion being shoved to my face so please Biden, include ALL people in your oath.

That would be awesome.

BD66 Level 8 Jan 6, 2021

I agree with FFRF. The problem is that if Biden does this many will notice it and use it against him and Harris. They both have their hands full already.

Be a hero, Biden. Keep gods out of it. 😀

Will he be brave enough to do so, I wonder.

Good idea; don't see it happening.
Joe's a devout Catholic.

Catholics are confused Pagans.

@Sorcha
You’re not pagan now? Atheist?

If it were any other year, I'd be on that bandwagon too, but at this point, if he just makes it to the inauguration and takes the oath, I'm happy. I don't mean to be a wuss, but I'm just so ready for a new administration that I'll sacrifice by hearing a few "god blesses" just to get to it.

I do believe that if someone is truly religious (and I have no reason to think Biden is not) and it's in one's heart to say "So help me God" as a way to swear it's the truth, I have no problem with it, though I dearly wish the whole thing would be secular as it always should have been.

Hopefully more speeches going forward will at least include a nod to "all beliefs and no beliefs" and we'll keep inching toward a more secular government, as it should be.

I do appreciate the effort from FFRF to keep hammering the politicians about the religious oath though. I'm definitely on board with that. That's how we get closer to the goal of separation of church and state.

The way I see it, it’s those silly little inroads religion makes that have a cumulative effect.

We now have generations only knowing “in god we trust”. For me it will always be “e pluribus unum”

Lest we forget, among the far right that stormed the Capitol were those who feel the left is trying to get rid of religion. The issue is hot this inauguration, so if he drops it, they will notice and continue to make an issue out of it.

Any other time, when people weren’t as intent on watching the ceremony nobody would bat an eye. This time there will probably be more people than ever watching with joy and relief, some even rearranging their schedules to watch it in real time.

And guess who’ll be watching us watching Joe and Kamala.

Biden is a devoted Catholic. He is only slightly better than Trump. Have you ever noticed that when Bernie Sanders ends a speech he never mentions God.

"Slightly better than Trump" in what way exactly?
As far as positions on the issues, no comparison. Are you high on something?

@Storm1752 he is a neoliberal, and their policies are not the friends of the citizens. The dems May coat it with a bit of sugar, but that’s about it.

Don't they do that every time?

In my opinion, that will not happen.

Yeah I think he is a chicken.

I believe the god wording was introduced after WWII in the 50s.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Would be nice to get rid of it.

Mvtt Level 7 Jan 5, 2021

You are correct...I was in 4th grade when we returned from summer vacation & had to learn a whole new cadence reciting the Pledge every morning. I remember many of the teachers being obviously upset (although Saying nothing) by the inclusion....separation of church & state was considered important.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.