Agnostic.com

8 2

As I grow older, I tend to be less and less thrilled with living. I have long since give up on love. I wake up everyday, and feel the same. Just empty inside and no drive to do anything. I try find things to engage my mind to keep me busy, but it just seems pointless to do anything. I nolonger want sex, or enjoy any of my old hobbies. I have deleted most of the apps from my phone, and I find myself fed up with most of the big media sites like FB twitter and such. I have tried so much to find some joy in life but I have none. So if I am not posting much please understand that I am just not feeling socibale. I pop in and read a lot. You people are great! I just don't know if I will ever really be able to participate in life anymore. I thank you for all the good content and memes that you all share. I often get a chuckle from them. I hope that 2021 is a better year for us all.

Ceaselessmind 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Once you realize you are not alone who should be able to realize that life often changes with or without your personal inclination!!!

Either you adjust or become so Miserable that your life means nothing to you!!!

I wish I could tell you life is worth living the reality is it is not for so many!!!

You are only responsible for you, no one else!!!

So if you are unhappy and live within unhappiness constantly only you can change that or some form of medication might help!!!

We all bitch about everything like the weather we can not control all the time!!!

Life sucks!!!

Nothing has guaranteed fair treatment, good health, kind people, good governance of those elected!!!

We are at the mercy of Mother Nature, other people who are close to us, strangers, and the government!!!

It is all redundant in life, just like we are redundant on this planet!!!

Just like Monte Python in the past suggested!!!

Like Bob Marley and the Monte Python members use to state!!!

Hello Sam, this is how you describe you... "a relaxed, easy going person, with so many interests you mentioned (enjoys the simple pleasures in life. enjoys scientific discovery, archeology, history, video games, hiking, fishing, searching for gem stones and minerals, good conversation and discussions)." You should have a lot going on. I am surprised that at your young age you should feel down. Your profile projects a vibrant, hopeful, active, energetic man with a desire to enjoy life. You certainly don't sound like a person who should feel what you are describing.

You described symptoms but do you know what is causing you being not hopeful? Has there been an event? You should check with the doctor. Often it is due to a chemical imbalance.

We go through various phases in life. Sometimes down, sometimes upbeat but the beauty of the human spirit is hope, holding a perspective and the ability to impact things around us for the better.

I hope you'll fight back the feeling and rise to claim victory over the odds and enjoy life fully. Life has so much to offer that none of us can enjoy even most fully. Please collect yourself and fight back, don't stay down.

I understand how you feel. Some days I feel about the same as you do. I go through the motions but feel no joy, no drive, no satisfaction from life. Other days are better. Most of the time I don't have much to look forward to except the little things. To some degree, I think its also just being in a rut. Same boring job, spending most of my time at home alone (I've been working from home for the past 10 months), never enough money to do what I want.

Sometimes just watching a movie or TV show that I enjoy can help. I have a small social life that also helps. Boredom and monotony are probably the two biggest problems that make me feel bad.

Maybe a change of scenery would help you out Sam. A day trip or weekend trip... something to get you out of the house. It's not a solution but it might help you feel better for a short while.

Then again, you may have depression. That might be worth discussing with your doctor.

I know advice is easy to give but often not helpful. I frequently ignore my own advice. I do know that there's no easy solution or over-night fix that will help. I've been struggling with my own issues for decades but I've learned to live with myself for the most part.

Thanks for your reply. I have bipolar disorder and am disabled due to the severity of it. I have been under treatment for quite a while however I cannot get meds that work. The only thing that works is cannabis but its illegal. I cannot just up and go as there are too many things I am responsible for. Besides that I do not get enough money to hardly pay bills let lone get to afford pleasantries. I really have battled low esteem all my life as far back as I can recall. Never felt good about my appearance or had confidence in myself. Have not been able to remedy that no matter how much I have tried.

@Ceaselessmind Sorry to hear that though I can relate to at least some of that quite a bit... primarily the financial aspect and bouts of low self-esteem and my own appearance. It can be tough to find any real meaning or purpose in life sometimes. I wish I had some answers for you because I could use them myself. I try and find solace in small things... books, music, a good movie. I think its the small things that help me to keep going.

I get you. I think it's the aging thing for men, and the awful times we live in, with viruses, assholes, and authoritarianism. I try to keep within a stable emotional range, something that happens with age, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. If you are financially OK, and health wise doing well, then there's some comfort in that. I have to live very economically and that's an additional worry to the other angst stuff that has to be dealt with. Anyway, point is your story resonates with many, I'm sure.

Thank you for your response. I am on disability so I am financially tapped out and I have bipolar disorder diabetes and high blood pressure. So health is not great, but yay I am here... 😑

Sorry you feel that way but glad you're here. I keep myself busy and find reasons to keep going.

Many people have real success treating their depression. There are also very effective ways to work through grief. Asking for help is a strength, not a weakness. The starting point is always to let your doctor know what is going on. We're not going to let you walk alone.

As I have mentioned before, I have Bipolar Disorder that the meds do not work for. We have tried many. Most raise my blood sugars to comatose levels. My dr and I have agreed that although it sucks I am better off to just work through it. Cannabis works pretty well but its illegal where I live.

@Ceaselessmind Drug therapy is only one form of treatment and not always the most important form. Some people are fortunate enough to have sufficient natural support systems but many need supplementation. Sometimes it's even easier to work through the toughest issues with someone you don't know personally. Never underestimate the power of a willing ear.

Strewth Sam, you're a bit young to have got to that stage. Sounds like you need to get your depression fixed.

Thanks for the reply. My age does not mean I have not been through the ringer. I have been in treatment most of my life. I have bipolar disorder mixed state in which the meds do not work. Cannabis does help but unfortunately its illegal. Aside form all that I still exist.

@Ceaselessmind Sorry to read that. I can understand your aversion to meds. Your condition must make it very hard to latch on to long lasting energising pursuits. Do you have any organisations or access to psychologists who can help? Do you like travel? I'm currently trying to respark by house & pet sitting. It doesn't pay but gets me in new places and enables driving which I still enjoy if avoiding main roads.

@FrayedBear I have not the funds to even consider travel. I barely can make the bills. As stated in my post, literally nothing brings me any joy. All the hobbies I used to have that I never imagined in a million years I would grow tired of, just do not make me feel anything.

@Ceaselessmind until you can afford - or get out of lockdown all I can think off is to dream and virtual travel, plan and connect with other people.
Oh, empathy and a ripe sense of humour also help to stop the bastards driving you down.

You’re 41 male and white.
I feel much the same but I’m 61 and just had a heart attack on Dec 21st 2020.
Don’t rush the inevitable.
If I hadn’t called 911, (trust me I frequently ask why I called), I wouldn’t have seen Orange Hitler removed from office. That was the last item on my bucket list.
Yet I persist.
Because I know I’ll die anyway, no need to rush the inevitable.
If you only knew all the adversaries I’ve faced you’d wonder why I didn’t rush the inevitable.
But yesterday my Step mother admitted out loud that I was abused by my father, words I never thought I’d hear.
What surprises will happen later today?
None of us know.
Just endure, millions in far worse circumstances did, and we rewarded them by kicking them while they were down, yet they persisted. So should we.

Thanks for your story. We all have our battles and such. I know how it is. I was raped as a child. I also had congested heart failure about 10 years ago. Nothing really surprises me anymore. I will not speed my inevitable demise. I will just welcome it when it comes.

Sorry to hear about your health scare and very glad you are still on the site. I always appreciate your contributions. There's a stoicism in your comment here that resonates with me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:573478
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.