Agnostic.com

25 5

How does music effect you...?

Why do only some people get 'skin orgasms' from listening to music?
[theconversation.com]

BucketlistBob 8 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It has been my living, my life. I have teared up on stage a few times in my life because something we were playing touched me in some way, or by the effect l could see it was having on people in the audience. For some people music can be a powerful force.

Cool..

Openness of emotions and feelings is why. I definitely am moved by tv shows, movies and music. Can cry at the drop of a hat. Things move me.

Skin orgasms. That's brilliant! I usually get that when I listen to classical music or opera. The goose pimples pop up and then the tears start flowing. No other genre of music moves me like classical does.

Once you've been bitten by classical everything else seems like entertainment.

@NoTimeForBS Very true!

[google.com]

@AncientNight
[google.com]

*Nazi

@BucketlistBob --- [grammarly.com]

Basically, since you are assigning an action to "music", the correct word is "affect". If you had said, "what changes does music effect in you?", then "effect" would have been correct.

@SkotlandSkye. Well shucks... seeing it that way...ok.

I want to feel Music in my bones, my tinnitus is testament to that.
I want to hear soft sounds resonate, and loud sounds as LOUD, and feel it all in my lizard brain.
For me the best music not only resonates there, but through sound lyrics also with harmonizes higher complex thoughts.

As such I have very eclectic music tastes, I like hearing new things, but I am pretty picky about what resides in my Phone, as that is really the only app I use. I have days of music . . .

I do not know how to explain why, but the one piece of music that grabs me that way is Max Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor -- conducted by Calaudio Abaddo and with the Violinist Schlomo Minsk. It moves from quiet poignance to joyful exuberance.

🙂

Whoa... alrighty

Love, love, LOVE 2Cellos, @Davesnothere

@BucketlistBob BOb, look them up on You Tube, those guys open up for Symphonies and Mettalica, then do ALL kinds of things

Deeply, most of the time. I've played music for more than 50 years, and though I'm not that great, it's a huge emotional outlet, both playing and listening. I just think that chemically, some people respond more to music than others. I don't know why. I'm sure everyone has known people without rythym, or that don't feel much when listening to music. It's hard for me to understand, but it's there.

I know what you're saying about people who seem unaffected by music. I honestly think they just do not hear it like we do.

Ok members... I didn't make this up...lol.

We'll I don't get 'skin orgasms.' At least I don't think so. Not really sure what that is. Anyway, music can be selected and used many ways, for many effects. There's road trip music-Tom Petty's Running Down A Dream comes to mind, and then there are transcendent pieces; my personal favorite is Schubert's Ave Maria. And then, there's "happy music"; like some Bluegrass or Zydeco tunes.

OK, I didn't see the link in the original post; but, yeah, I've gotten "chills" listening to certain pieces of music. I'd never equate that as anything close to an orgasm, though. WTF?

Funny, I was having a similar discussion with my 11 year old daughter about this very thing only today.
I like loads of different sorts of music but I'm a metal head for the most part. I like my music loud usually, allowing for others in the vacinity of course, but the song that triggered our chat was Smoke On The Water, I said to my daughter I like music loud but some stuff has to be so loud it's an actual bodily experience as well, for me at any rate. It's a funny feeling to describe, live music played so loud your whole body is resonating to it. Melody is the foremost part for me, if the lyrics are good as well then great but then put it through LOUD filter. Fantastic 🙂

I love music! I can put on my favorite artists and get in a better mood, thanks to John Mellencamp!

This-->

At 1.36 I tear up

I got teary eyed listening to the first few notes. My Mama LOVED classical music, so I grew up listening to it. Out of 6 children, I am the ONLY one who loves it as much as she did.

To the core

I absolutely experience music this way. Got it from my father and passed it on to my daughter. I thought it odd that it didn't have the same effect on my mother, but it turns out a lot of people don't experience it. When Taku Iwasaki's soundtrack to Samurai X is playing, I can't hear people speaking around me.

Ozzy and Disturb calms me down

Well, I suppose some of that would depend upon where they are at the moment and what they are doing, that would influence the current mood.

I did not even know I could get a skin orgasm! I guess I am still waiting?

Waiting and anticipating here too.

I get faint pseudo-orgasms over my whole body just seeing beautiful scenery, or watching wild birds. I'm a "panromantic," which means I can react romantically to anything.

Cool answer... thanks for your open feedback.

Music can complement, improve, or insult a person, and I am a specific case from that general case. That's why it makes sense to play good music.

I'm a lover of "classical" music and "skin orgasms" is a wonderful way of describing the deep pleasure I so often experience when listening.
I must say that I like all kinds of music but I'm probably happiest in the 18th and 19th centuries!

Athos Level 5 Apr 27, 2018

Music is vibration, we are vibration, when the two connect deeply, we are effected by it, deeply.
As a drummer, singer and writer of lyrics, music to me is vital and a great 'tool', many different genres for many differnet scenerios, moods and purposes.

It open my heaad, my heart, my everything. It makes me feel like kittens are covering me.

I guess these are akin to goosebumps?

For Bucketlist Bob

Okay, it happens.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57537
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.