Agnostic.com

10 10

LINK North Dakota Republicans Want the Ten Commandments to Go Up in Public Schools | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

A North Dakota bill that has already passed through the State Senate would allow public schools to put up copies of the Ten Commandments in their buildings or individual classrooms… and make them immune from liability in case they get sued over it. (The same bill would permit students to recite the religious Pledge of Allegiance.)

Senate Bill No. 2308 is wildly unconstitutional, so it’s no surprise that the legislation is sponsored by five Republicans. Even if schools are declared immune, lawsuits would occur, districts would end up in court, and someone would have to foot those bills. Taxpayers are ultimately the ones who’d be screwed over.

So why do this? Why now?

State Sen. Janne Myrdal says posting the Commandments would help solve society’s problems.

(That is ignoring the societal problems caused by religion)

snytiger6 9 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bring on Baphomet

Time to buy some SLEDGEHAMMERS.

What about the other 603 ? Wall not big enough.

Face it. Your religion is dying. Your merely trying to stop the high tide from coming in.

They’re fighting with the primitive brutality of a rat that sees itself surrounded.

Im only getting angrier every day

Someone needs to take these people by the hand and show them where this is illegal. Commandments do not and should not belong in public schools.

I would like to take them by the hand and give them the ol’ thumbscrews.

Personally here, I'd rather see them go completely and irretrievably up the Arse-holes of the Repuslivans.

I would be quite happy with it as long as those republicans followed those commandments, every one of them.

There are 640 commandments. They can't even do 10.

@Mooolah They probably can’t count that much either.

Another example of why there must be separation of church and state.

750,000 people & they get 2 Senators. California has almost 40 million & gets 2 Senators. I am not sure what the solution is or even if there is one.

Every state gets two senators. The number of reps is determined by population.

@xenoview Of course I know this. It seems to need updating. Just as eliminating the electoral college might be in order. Notice I said "might".

And it’s this that I believe will be responsible for US downfall. It gives smaller states more equal footing, supposedly. The framers meant well that New York, California, Texas and Florida shouldn’t be electing all the presidents because of the population numbers, but I guess there is pros and cons with everything. But I do feel that the current system is outdated. But to change the constitution would require 2/3 both house and senate vote, as well as 34 state legislatures to make the change.

California actually has a population of more than 39 million. [worldpopulationreview.com]

@snytiger6 You are correct. I misspoke thinking of Los Angeles. With your permission I will correct my error.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:575925
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.