Agnostic.com

7 17

LINK Atheists Will No Longer Have to Swear an Oath to God in Order to Vote in Alabama | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

After filing a lawsuit, atheists in Alabama have successfully eliminated a religious test for voting.

Here’s the backstory: Until recently, if you wanted to register to vote in Alabama, you had to read and sign a declaration that included a religious reference:...

...It’s not just innocuous either. If you sign that statement without actually agreeing with what it says, it’s perjury. That form even says that anyone who “falsely” signs the statement could be “convicted and imprisoned for up to five years.” That means Alabama atheists who don’t want to swear an oath to God are technically committing a crime by doing what they must in order to vote. Whether or not they would be prosecuted for it is besides the point.

snytiger6 9 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can we make Puerto Rico a state instead of Alabama?

I’d rather stand outside with a long metal rod up in the air during a thunderstorm.

Well well, "thank god". 🤬🤮

As I’ve said before this is becoming, if it isn’t already, a third rate nanny state called the US of absurdity.

Wait wait wait. We don't have to do that hand on the Bible bullshit in one of the 4 most inbred backward states in the country?

Meanwhile Georgia is stopping minorities from voting.

Never thought I'd see the day that Alabama was more progressive than Georgia lol

Now that's progress!

BD66 Level 8 Apr 7, 2021

One of the stupidest laws and extremely unconstitutional.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:587896
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.