Agnostic.com

12 18

LINK The Legal Oppression Of Nonbelievers Will Escalate The More Religion Declines | Above the Law

Combine a conservative religious ideology that fears and hates nonbelievers and has taken over much of the judiciary, with an ever-increasing nonbeliever population growth, and what you get is legal oppression.
By TYLER BROKER
April , 2021 at 2: PM

I should not have to care whether my religious beliefs conflict with the majority of those in any branch of our government. The Constitution — as enumerated in Article VI Section 3 and the First Amendment — is supposed to guarantee that government should not care that for the first time ever the number of Americans who belong to a church has fallen below a majority. Unfortunately, a lot of people do care. In fact, some are downright terrified at the decline in religion. And it just so happens, many people who are terrified are also in government.

According to the most recent Attorney General, William Barr, this country was founded on the premise (expressed by John Adams that one time) that our government “was only suitable and sustainable for a religious people.” An attorney general saying this country is only intended and suitable for religious people is deeply disturbing for a couple of reasons. First, one John Adams quote notwithstanding, the Constitution’s plain language that “no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust the United States” directly contradicts it. It takes a massive, unsubstantiated leap to say our government was intended only to be suitable and sustainable for religious people when religious oaths were banned from the beginning and the only other mention is that government must stay out of religious affairs. Second, and more troubling, is believing government is only suitable and sustainable for religious people means those citizens who does not believe by very definition become unsuitable. Which is exactly what William Barr thinks.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Imo, they CAN ONLY oppress us IF we sit back, do nothing and ALLOW it to happen.
They, the Religiotards, have tried doing just that for Centuries and yet we are still here and, these days, we are growing stronger and stronger.
Now, imo, the boot IS truly on the other foot and where once they saw themselves as being the waves from the Oceans eroding away the sands of the shore-line, the roles are being reversed and they are beginning to fear us where we once feared them.

The decline of religion will naturely alarm those who cling to the belief and likely spur them to more fervent behavior to attempt to salvage the privilege they have enjoyed being the majority.

Yes, and imo, the analogy of a drowning person and piece of straw rings through quite clearly here with the Religiotards.

Fortunately for us, the Puritans had a lot of influence back in the day. They fled here seeking religious freedom because they got shat on by the other religions (for good reason). And looky, that showed up in the constitution.
That is not to say that we are in the clear. Something can always go wrong and there are those that are trying to help that along. Heinous fuckery most foul is afoot (I don't care what this site says "fuckery" is a word dammit).

The Puritans came to America seeking escape from religious persecution and established a system that persecuted those within their ranks who didn't live up to their religious expactations. I understood that it was the Salem Witch Trials which broke the religious stranglehold the Puritans held on government because of the role religion played in killing innocent people accuse of witchcraft.

@RussRAB I would say that it was Hawthorne's accounts of the Witch Trials (of which his relative was a Judge), and the popularity of folks like Whitman who advanced ideas, which broke that religious stranglehold. It obviously did not break us from Christian dominance. I'm guessing @onthefire is a Christopher Moore fan. Me too.

I just LOVE these articles. It’s just proof that the religious asswads days are coming to an end.

I just can’t wait to retire to move to North Carolina and busting some of these out......it will drive them nuts.......

ha whole lotta forest in NC, might wanna rethink that one

@bbyrd009 No chance of that. Because unless they are willing to kill me.........they just might trip over their own gun and shoot themselves. And, ironically, where I plan on living does have just that.

Where did you get those? I want one like the first one, it is soooooo true!

@misstuffy I had them printed from memes I found on Irreligious.org and others from googling “offensive religious memes”. A lot of these I found over 3 years ago and may or may not be found now.

@CuddyCruiser That could be a nice side biz for you

Separation of church and state is implied by the First Amendment to the Constitution (part of the Bill of Rights, established in 1791) by the words:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The way that is written, the First Amendment seems to defend any religious belief more than non-belief. Maybe atheists, etc. need to: 1) say that non-belief (or freedom of conscience) is a religion, or else, 2) they/we need to petition the government to edit the First Amendment to define separation of church and state in very clear language. Until either or both of those two actions happens, there will probably be a lot more bigotry and fighting by religious bigots against non-believers. Religious bigotry will continue the argument forever, until it is made legally clear that they cannot win the argument.

Your point supports what I have long said, that "secular humanist" (should I capitalize that?) is a more meaningful identity label than "atheist," which is just reactionary against religionists. Both labels apply to me, but I like secular humanist.

@MikeInBatonRouge
Reactionary probably doesn't win arguments as readily as Optimistic.
Objectively, Humanists do appear ready to win a lot of arguments, since they defend human rights about as much as defend their beliefs.

Why do so many ignore the Treaty of Tripoli 1797? It sets the record straight.
*"Article 11

One of the most important parts of the Treaty of Tripoli has very little to do with the treaty's outcome. Article 11 of the treaty states:

'As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, - as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen, - and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.' "*

Oh please, PLEASE let those scumbags try their shit with me.

Let me guess. They would find you even toxic towards them than I am?

I'd buy to see that if it were a pay-per-view event. Sort of a religious wrestlemania.

@Sgt_Spanky I'd put you on my guest list.
😉

The religious scumbags of America are implacable in their determination to impose their delusions on everybody else. They are the Islamic State of the United States.

Classical liberal and libertarian atheists are branded as "right-wing" (conservative) and are harassed on this site.

Libertarians whine more than a gaggle of toddlers. You’re always being victimized, or so your screech to whomever you think might hear you.

@FreethoughtKaty How very woke and virtuous of you!

@PBuck0145 I am on rocky ground with an old friendship to someone I owe a great deal to because he is Libertarian and @freethoughtkaty describes him well. All things hinge on their relationship to motorcycles, Red Sox, Rolling Stones, and sneering at liberals like me. I just got tired of it and finally said so.

"Those who say that religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion means"
Gandhi

He was pretty smart about that subject.

Scary times

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 14, 2021

Unfortunately. that is correct. the more that religious belief among Americans declines, the more desperate and devious that evangelicals will become in trying to depress and denounce non-belief.

That’s all fine. Bottom line is.......they are losing, not winning as some may think. Once again, if they were winning, their numbers will be going up. But they aren’t. These are just acts of desperation as far as I’m concerned.

@CuddyCruiser well so was the assassination of JFK then, and by the same bunch
prolly

@bbyrd009 I’m not intimidated. I stand up and stand my ground, wherever I am.

I don’t start trouble with anyone, I do what I do. If it’s not what you do then that’s your problem a lot more than it is mine. All I will say is that if any of these clowns want to physically come at me for ANYTHING, Or anyone else for that matter, for ANY reason, I hope they have or have learned some kind of special fighter training, such as wrestling, boxing, karate or anything like these........he will not stand a chance. I came up on the streets of NYC where showing weakness is something you just don’t do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:589497
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.