Agnostic.com

20 7

Was religion an old form of government? In the dark ages the peasants could not read, and were read to from the bible?
Is religion today used to keep the poor happy so they do not rob the rich? Opinions welcome and and any other thoughts.

DanDay1 4 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

‘Old form”? Care to rethink that?

Maxwell Smart and the forces of Control

Yes, old form unless you consider Egyptian pharoh's to be a "new" development. I never know, some folks have been around so long, they might think so.

it became that, yes, but that is not how it began. it began as an explanation for everything that had none, which is just about everything.

g

“Religion” probably was the original form of government.

As found in biblical text, well established for historical certified almost 2000 years, having achieved Guinness book of world records for modern copies, it gives for this definition of religion Religion pure and undefiled with the God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation—to keep himself unspotted from the world.
A nonsensical definition and used as a guise has been common in some subcultures and Masonic lodge secret religion racist devil worship government to simply be: Religionsubculturesand/or worship of a God thingie. Example: illogical atheist gives sarcasm worship to the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God by making fun of Christians that don’t know Jesus is Lucifer the devil. Example: As the case of United States v. Ballard, 322 U.S. 78, 64 S. Ct. 882, 88 L. Ed. 1148 (1944), demonstrates, the Supreme Court must look to the sincerity of a person's beliefs to help decide if those beliefs constitute a religion that deserves constitutional protection.
A third view for a definition of religion can be seen by looking at what is in the commonly and publicly used Dewey Decimal Classification 200-299 section. Biblical text found placed in this section provides that establishment and enforcement of government and laws is what religion is about. Government and religion are synonymous in this sense. The government of “United States of America “ is a continuation of the “biblical meme" or to say, it is prophesy being fulfilled. As it can be observed that many biblical prophesies have come to furition, it can be observed that circumstances are conducive for more prophesies to further come to furition.

Word Level 8 May 5, 2021

Was and still is a method of control. Explaining what the invisible man wants from you over the centuries is also telling you what rulers want from you and telling you how to live.

OMG yes I've felt that way since I was a kid! If not an form of the government but for sure a way to control and govern the people. It's fucking sad!

It was one of the reasons peasants were allowed to learn to read by the ruling classes; so may have served at least one good use throughout its history.

Yup especially Jewish, still is

Theocracy predates Christianity and other so-called modern religions by millennia. Most early societies fell under the rule of warriors and clerics of some type. Priest-kings ruled often, some rulers purported to be gods or progeny of gods.

It certainly was a method of control. Until the reformation the church sermons were in Latin which of course only the priests could understand.
For all I know the Roman Catholic church may still preach in Latin. I am certainly not going to find out.

Social structures need ideologies for support.
Religion has traditionally been the ideology that supports the hierarchy.
The new secular religion of Neoliberalism supports the capitalist hierarchy.
Internationally, the religion of American Exceptionalism supports US imperialism and dominance over the countries of the Global South.
The forms and content of the religions change but their purpose remains the same: to protect the dominance of the privileged.

Prior to the 18th century government controlled the church or the church controlled the government dating back to at least 5000 BCE

I think the answer to this question is obvious when you consider the history of religion, particularly the Christian religion and the Egyptian religions.

In the Ancient Egyptian religions the monarchs were also the gods of the religion.

In the formation of the Christian religion, there had not been much evolution. Emperor (Saint) Constantine ordered the construction of a sacred text at the Council of Nicea.

I don't know how it could be more obvious than that.

I agree a hundred percent. I fine it disturbing that every major war there's been has been over religion. The government is no different. the format is the same. i follow neither becaue of this fact!!

Religion is usually used as an enforcer for the government in power.

Theocracies habe existed for many thousands of years.

Still is in some places.

For many people, religion, with its emphasis on the afterlife, and people being rewarded then for good behavior in this life, functions as a way to get people to put up with being poor and oppressed by the rich in this life. So in that way, it does prevent revolution and the poor robbing the rich.

Only in part, original government was divine right monarchy even if it predates the term.
The issue with proclaiming yourself as king comes with the question, by what authority are you king?
40 thousand years later...
Millions of Christians hear mass in a language they don't speak: Latin and becomes a main issue for Martin Luther to protest, creating the protestant branch of Christianity and the Lutheran denomination.
A few hundred years later...
Millions of American Christianity cult members use Christianity as the backstop for their "Lost Cause" Movement. Creating a false resurgence of Christianity in the 20th and 21st Century.
This movement is anti democratic pro Christian dominionist in tone and intent.
Generally few believe any of the religious woo, most Christians believe in the "Lost Cause" promoting white supremacy and acts of insurrection and right wing terrorism.
Christianity doesn't exist except as a smoke screen for hate groups now.

Religion has also been used to condition certain “Social classes” to conform to a base set of values…….live the same, dress the same, think the same, while dismissing or vilifying anyone different.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:594379
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.