Agnostic.com

20 7

Crafters: What’s more satisfying?

What’s more exciting/satisfying for you? Starting a new project? Or finishing one you’ve been working on?

I’m starting to crochet a new blanket and am ridiculously excited!

• 6 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 6 votes
Marcie1974 8 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Finishing is great, but the what I enjoy the most is working on the project, and tend to feel a bit sad when it's done.

All of it. I make things in Blender and Photoshop, and the whole process draws me in.

Enjoy seeing my vision become a reality!

The entire process. Deciding on the project. Gathering materials. Starting. Working on it. Finally finishing it. By that time, you’re sick as shot of it and are ready to move on to the next one.

Iffy Level 5 Apr 17, 2018

To me exciting and satisfying aren't equivalents. I'm excited when I come up with a new idea and begin working on it. I'm satisfied (I hope) when I've finished it. Anyway, on to the next excitement!

Starting a project makes me feel good. Usually by the middle I am tired of it and can't wait to finish. The big payoff is the finished project. I can look at what I accomplished and appreciate the hard work and results.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 17, 2018

I'm not a major crafter, but I DO like to crochet. I'm not the greatest since I taught myself, but it is very relaxing. But for ME, I like finishing the project. I get a real sense of accomplishment. Of course, I only crochet for loved ones, so I like to finish so I can present whatever it is that I did for that individual.

I like the little sense of accomplishment that comes with finishing a thing. ?

For me, it's starting the project. I'm always super excited to start working on what I've got in mind, but after hours of working on it, I inevitably become less excited.
I started a cute little loom knit stuffed elephant a couple months back, but haven't had the chance to work on him for a while. 😟

Mea Level 7 Apr 17, 2018

For some reason I love projects but then just want to see what they look like when done I can’t wait to finish them and it’s a mad dash towards the finish!

Actually being in the middle. The creative process itself is the most interesting part for me.

Starting a project is the freakin' best....that 'design spiral' that goes on in my head....the grunt work in the middle is fine, but generally, I am already designing my next project during that....finishing is awesome and then suck....I often get 'post product depression'....especially on big new ideas....which is why I have learned to have a constant 'NEXT!' design. The very moment it is done and the idea worked is pretty awesome....but I completely understand people who bake...take a picture of their product, and then throw it away....I've done similar when I felt my new idea needed the metal I had just used....'yeah, that's nice, but the next idea is way better!'...

I am the Queen of unfinished projects. I've done better lately, but I've still got a cross stitch I was working on when I MET my ex, and we were married over 25 years and have been divorced about 10. I did finish the baby quilt, and finished it before the baby was born. Oh, that reminds me, the x-stitch sampler for my youngest baby never did get finshed, she's 26.

Oh gosh we can’t be friends. Sorry. Lol

@Marcie1974 💔 I'm going to miss you!! 💔

Finishing one...lol. I got 2 more to finish. Wife wants them done. I got so much to do...lol.

The start and the finish I would say are the best parts and the rest is really good too.

over time, my drawing style has turned into a sort of game or experiment. i start with a basic shape or line or squiggly thing. from there, i just see where it goes. i have no idea most of the time what its going to end up being, and sometimes when its done, i still don't know exactly. i may see lots of little things in it, or even know while im drawing those little things, what they are. but i don't often know what they will be when they are all put together. the point in my art is to make people think. i like to see how two different people can look at the same thing, and see such completely different things. so i guess my favorite part is seeing peoples reaction, but not exactly in a vain sort of way.

Byrd Level 7 Apr 17, 2018

@MrLizard i posted a few things i drew in 2 different groups on this site, theyre not the best photos, but it gives at least an idea of what i do. my profile pic is one i started but havent finished. i don't have a camera anymore tho so i can't share anymore

For me the most satisfying part is not really finishing the project but rather being able to enjoy the product. For example, for my master-bedroom’s bathroom window I designed and built a 200ish piece stained glass window. Designing it was tedious, building it was countless hours of not fun, but when the South sun hits the window where the glass once cooked interior, a pattern of colors softly illuminates the room. For me, this is the satisfying part of projects.

Perhaps it is lack of confidence, although I have done enough carvings to be confident in my ability yet when I do a woodcarving I find myself doubting it will turn out the way I want, until I actually finish. I don't feel this (as much) with other types of projects but still, the best part is finishing it up and seeing if it came out as hoped.

Starting a project is exciting but actually finishing it is much more satisfying.

MsAl Level 8 Apr 17, 2018

I have so many going on that when I complete one I just want to get naked and run through my field. I do regret not having the foresight to invest in Michales and Hobby Lobby at the beginning of the recession.

Oh gosh...I cannot start a new project until I finish what I’m working on. I’m SO anal about that

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60256
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.