Agnostic.com

13 32

LINK Christianity is collapsing | Freedom From Religion Foundation

Sociologist are amazed by the swift disintegration of Christianity in America. In a stunning transformation confirmed by several surveys and studies.

A Gallup Poll has found that fewer than half of all American now belong to a mosque, church, or temple, down from 70% at the start of the 21st century.

Read more good news at the link.

HippieChick58 9 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's about time! 😎

Maybe, just maybe, Americans are beginning to see the truth. Christian behavior, demonstrated primarily thru Republican politicians, just may be finally too much for most sane people to stomach.

I wonder what new forms of religion will replace it...🙂

The problem for me is that the majority of people I meet may not belong to a church, temple, mosque, etc. but they still celebrate religious holidays and make it clear that they intend to have a religious wedding and raise their kids under a religion. Several people have told me it’s not fair for me to raise my child secularly because it doesn’t give them a chance to decide for themselves. Which makes absolutely no sense, but this is how lots of people think.

Remind me again when it has completely collapsed.

Very true, but if you ask them they will tell you that they do believe in "something." Most of these tell you they believe in "god their way" and for the dedicated we end up with another "God Our Way" Church.

Agreed, even though they don’t belong to a specific church they still believe in it and celebrate holidays and get married in churches.

Who cares about religion? It is a non-topic. I had a Political Science prof from Australia who called 'this' place', Canader. Religion is being replaced with other mindless mush. Only in "Canader" can a Sikh wear 'his hat' in parliament---- because it is necessary to respect his "rights". Gotta be a joke!

Maybe he was related to JFK.

Christianity is not going anywhere or falling apart. Institutionalized Christianity is just being reformed... Probably splitting between explicit white supremacy and a more progressive norm of classism... White supremacy light-ish.

Institutional religion that's kind of taking a hit around the world. However the world is increasingly religious as a whole.

This is not necessarily a bad thing in the grand scheme of things but people need to not extrapolate It recklessly.

domos Level 7 July 21, 2021

It can will and does reinvent itself endlessly. The Christianity of the second century A.D. was a completely different thing from that of the first, and that was another thing entirely from that of the post Roman dark ages, whose people would in turn not understand the medieval version, post reformation the Roman church and the new churches were both different again, and they changed again in the nineteenth century, then it reinvented itself many times in modern times.

If you have a good label you keep sticking it on. If the man in the shop selling fake reproductions, made in a third world sweat shop last week, has a good label which says. "Genuine antique." He sticks it on every new thing that comes out of the back room.

All that remains is old people and fundies. Religion in the US is slowly dying.

Read that this morning. The crash can't come fast enough. However, desperate people do desperate things so let's hope the new administration can stand up to the 'evildoers.'

The headline is a little misleading. Christianity is declining in the U.S. but increasing in the world, as a percentage of the population. “Christianity” is not collapsing. The U.S. is going through puberty.

skado Level 9 July 20, 2021

That's what i read in Freethought Today religion declining, and intelligence on the rise, years ago it wasn't like that though, but the percentage of freethinkers over the decades has increased.

ml58n2 Level 7 July 20, 2021

Their entrenchment into White Nationalist Evangelical Facsism , as exemplified in the Rethuglican Facsist Party and the Draconian Voter Suppression laws being enacted in Red States,is perhaps the final gasp of their Cult of Death.

That, exactly what you say, still scares me about the xtions. I fear that worse than any muslims as they have very little sway, while the white nationalists are deeply entrenched.

@Beowulfsfriend look to Manchin, Sinema and the other Mod Dems to sell the Republic out..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610695
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.