Agnostic.com

23 38

There is nothing more obnoxious to me than an evangelistic Christian trying to convert me. I am a big proponent of do unto others as you would have them do unto you therefore I state my beliefs to anyone that asks and expect them to respect them. That also means I have to respect other people's choices if they are not proselytizing me.

Lorajay 9 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I disagree with the part of the meme in blue type. It is absolutely okay to shame, ridicule, and openly disrespect bad ideas. Ideas do not warrant respect. If you tell me that you worship a giant centipede that you believe lives on Jupiter, I will tell you that your belief is absurd. If you tell me that all people with red hair need to die because your giant centipede god says so, I will do all in my power to have you rendered incapable of acting on that belief. Plus I will ridicule your position at the top of my lungs.

I show a certain level of respect to other individuals until they give me a reason to withdraw it. I actually feel respect for a person once they have earned it. I owe no such level of deference to ideas at all.

Deb57 Level 8 July 30, 2021
**IMO, "respect" needs to be EARNED**.

I do NOT have to respect the choices of any bastard who financially supports a hate mongering bunch of child molesters and rapists, homophobic advocates of conversion therapy, sexist, racist choice denying, freedom denying fuckwits and supremisists who put the love of their genocidal god ahead of their own family's welfare and honestly believe people deserve everlasting punishment for not loving their psychotic deity.
In the information age there is NO excuse for people to claim they don't or did not know the shit that their religion actually stands for.

So NO anyone publicly professing to be a religious person does not deserve my respect and they will not get it, they will at best have my pity and my mockery if they are lucky.

I'll heap scorn and insult on anyone I consider harmful to the freedom of people to be themselves or who fight on the side of ignorance and closed mindedness especially when it comes to science deniers, thank you very much!
F the lot of them.

Unless they bother.me I ignore them

bobwjr Level 10 July 30, 2021

Same here.

One cannot shame those who, being traumatized by their religion, no longer have any shame. Searching for truth means discarding what is found to be false.

I think there's a difference between shaming people about their beliefs and openly discussing it with them. It has always been my experience that once you call someone stupid or make fun of them you will never change their mind on an issue or probably any issue.

I believe almost every one of you on this site is smart enough to know that. I think that means that shaming and ridiculing these people makes you feel good so you do it to feel good.

famously known as "prison mentality," yeh; convicts rip on pedophiles, etc

I think you're right, if you attack or ridicule people for their religious beliefs, they will dig in their heels. I was raised religious and that certainly rings true for me. The way I broke free from religion was by being asked challenging questions and then being left to come to my own realizations. If you want to help religious people break free of their religion, I think the only thing you can do is ask them the tough questions and point out inconsistencies in their beliefs in a non-aggressive manner, and then leave them to figure it out. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

True, but your nose will never be as shiny as mine...

What someone believes determines how they act and what you believe does not make you a decent person, how you act does.

It is more serious than that, Rudolph is always depicted at Christmas with antlers so must be female as males will already have shed their antlers. So Rudolph mus be a trans reindeer and thus susceptible to LBGT shaming. Be kind to Rudolph.

But religion is false and stupid.....🤔

Sorry. Not.

I have never had one try.

I am content for anybody to be religious. I am not content for anybody to use their religion to interfere with the lives of others.

I reserve a grievous insult for any Christian who tries to ram their religion down my throat: "Where is your falsifiable evidence to support your existence claim of your particular god?".

I would rather have all religions banned, but, that's a piper dream that will never happen in my time. They leave me alone, and I'll continue to work to shut them down.

I don't care if a person is religious. I do have an issue with religious organizations.

So you would not have an issue with a KKK member, only with the KKK organisation?
You would have no Issue with the Nazi party members, just with the Nazi party itself

An organisation is and is supported financially by the membership who remain members because of the aims and teachings of said organisation.

@LenHazell53 I would not, because there are such things as former KKK and Nazi party members, some of whom later made valuable contributions to humanity in exactly the opposite ways to the intentions of those groups. Very few people are unable to change or learn, and on one should be prevented from making personal growth or changing for the better, because they are kept locked in a pigeon hole by the assumptions of others.

@Fernapple I take your point, but I am not talking about Ex-whatever, I am myself to my shame ex-Mormon, I refused to remain ignorant and could not in good conscience remain in anyway affiliated with those horrible liars and con men.
But a person who will openly claim to be a staunch catholic for example, knowing what the catholic church has done and is doing , the hate they advocate, the prejudice and discrimination they indulge in and will admit openly they financially support this filth, don't ask me to respect that person in that situation. Their choice is a free choice to be a tacit advocate of monsters and that makes them an accessory before during and after the fact.

@LenHazell53 You sound like an angry atheist. As long as the religious keep it to themselves and don't try and force it on others.

@xenoview That's the problem they do, they even try to change the law to legislate their views on others, they interfere with medical science and so forth.
I'm afraid you tacit compliance so long as they leave you personally alone saddens me.

@LenHazell53 Yes I agree with you, but of course every member of every cult is not there by choice. Many are threatened, frightened, decieved and bullied into giving support. And if the wish is to get more people out of those cults. Then helping them to escape, is much better than threatening them, which only drives them deeper in, and confirms what the cult leaders tell them, which is invariably that the world outside the cult is a threatening and nasty place.

@LenHazell53, @xenoview No it is not true that it is fine as long as the religious keep it to themselves, because what they do among themselves, is still on the conscience of every human. That is the argument which leads to thousands of little girls, being flown to foreign lands where they do not understand the culture, being taken into dark back rooms to be painfully mutilated by stranger using a dirty knife, in an attempt to turn her into a passive beast of burden. I do not think that you really mean to say. " As long as it is not my daughter, I am fine with that."

I respect everyone's right to believe what they want, but I'll laugh at or criticize their beliefs all I want.

Tejas Level 8 Aug 1, 2021

We are all tolerant until we see something we don't like.

I respect people's right to believe whatever they want. I do not, however, respect superstitious, anachronistic, childish beliefs.

The only ones who tried to convert me were the Jehovah's Witnesses. Very unsuccessfully. And some Mormons... screw it, let them believe what they want. When they try to convert me is quite entertaining...

Having Common Sense is OKAY!!!

I am very proud to be an Atheist.

Cool post but I'm just gonna continue shaming them for their abject stupidity

redhog Level 7 July 30, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:612637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.