Agnostic.com

15 11

LINK The Young And Secular Are Least Vaccinated, Not Evangelicals

This surprised me. Check out the article for all the tables.

(ANALYSIS) As the delta variant has caused COVID-19 to surge again in the United States, there’s been a flurry of attention paid to the share of Americans who have chosen to forgo the vaccine against the coronavirus. Trying to understand the causal factors that would lead to one not getting the inoculation seems to be the first task when it comes to finding ways to reduce vaccine hesitancy coast to coast.

One of the primary dimensions that news outlets seem to be focusing on is religion. The headlines are published nearly weekly - evangelical Christians are the ones who are the most reluctant to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Yet, when I review the data from a survey that was conducted on May 11, 2021 that was administered by Data for Progress, I don’t find a lot of evidence that evangelicals are the ones lagging behind. In fact, I find that those without any religious affiliation were the least likely to have received at least one dose of any COVID-19 vaccine.

The Data for Progress poll has been in the field for a total of 57 weeks. Dating back to the earliest days of the pandemic and beginning in January, respondents were asked if they had received a COVID vaccination. Obviously, in those early days when vaccine supply was an issue, small fractions of the population had gotten a shot. But that quickly ramped up as larger shares of the population became vaccine eligible.

By May, 70% of non-evangelical Protestants had gotten at least one dose. Sixty-two percent of both evangelical Protestants and Catholics reported the same. However, it was the “nones” (no religious affiliation) who were lagging farther behind. By May 11, only 47% of nones had reported receiving at least one dose. However, what complicates data surrounding vaccination is that not everyone was eligible to get the shot at the same time. In all states, the oldest residents were eligible first and then the criteria widened as demand waned. However, by May 1, every American who was at least 16 years old was eligible to receive the vaccine.

To take into account the nature of the vaccine rollout, I built a regression model that contained a number of control variables including race, income, education, gender and age. The results of that model indicate that when those factors are controlled for, there is no statistically significant difference in the likelihood of vaccination among different religious traditions. Or said another way: holding things constant, a 30-year-old evangelical is no more or less likely to have gotten the vaccine in early May as a 30-year-old none.

However, there’s still another question looming - are the people who have decided to forgo the vaccine likely to ever get the jab? The survey asked those people who said that they haven’t received the vaccine how likely they would be to get it. Response options ranged from “very likely” to “very unlikely.” This data paints a grim picture about the likelihood of significantly increasing vaccination rates.

For instance, in January the share of evangelicals who said that they were “very unlikely” to get the shot was just 22%. By May, it had nearly doubled to 43%. That same pattern is even more pronounced for non-evangelical Protestants (15% to 43%). In essence, those who are holding out now are even more committed to their position of abstaining from any COVID vaccine.

It’s interesting that among those who claim no religious affiliation, the share who are “very unlikely” has only increased modestly - from 30% in January to 36% in May. This may represent a number of factors - one being the stark age difference between the nones and Christians. It’s clear that younger people have always been less likely to roll up their sleeves, so this may be a bigger barrier for nones to get the shot than it would be for evangelicals. It’s possible with the added threat that is coming from the delta variant, that this may move a lot of young nones off the fence and into the vaccine clinics.

I understand that this data seems to contradict some of the other polling results that have been released by other polling agencies. I cannot speak to why these results do not line up with those other findings. However, I can say that if this data is accurate, that the media needs to be turning the spotlight a bit away from evangelicals and toward the vast swaths of America that is young and secular. Getting this group to get vaccinated may be the key factor in beating back the rising tide of cases that are threatening the lives and livelihood of millions of Americans every day.

Ryan Burge is an assistant professor of political science at Eastern Illinois University, a pastor in the American Baptist Church and the co-founder and frequent contributor to Religion in Public, a forum for scholars of religion and politics to make their work accessible to a more general audience. His research focuses on the intersection of religiosity and political behavior, especially in the U.S. Follow him on Twitter at @ryanburge.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do you have a point?

Thank you for sharing this great article. 888b hopes you will have many more articles for everyone to read.

As I find interesting articles I do try to post them. I do like to share the wealth.

Thanks to the author's comprehensive description, I learnt everything I needed to know about my topic after reading this post. I published a review that you may read on the essaytyper reviews. Thank you so much for your time and attention.

Unfortunately, there are those who do not want to be vaccinated. The only solution to counteract this disease is vaccination. I have been vaccinated 2 times and there have been no side effects. <a href='[basketballlegends.club] random</a>

I sincerely hope that the fight for equality and hope is successful, and that everyone receives what they desire. I've published several articles on .io games

The author is a Baptist pastor misrepresenting the data. He conveniently does not separate evangelical catholics from evangelical protestants.

It is evangelical protestants who pose the greater vaccination problem. It is their churches which declare that prayer save you and which are prone to the conspiracy hoaxes.

Not all evangelicals are the same. By combining 2 groups with different attitudes, the author absolves his group.

Studies themselves do not always support what their interpreters claim...

It appears from the NYTimes reporting, places where cases are surging are those states where governors are least likely to mandate protective orders. Florida's governor recently made certain kids couldn't be required to wear masks at schools, and our Texas governor made certain that no local governments could pass ordinances requiring masks or other protective measures. Alabama's governor recently did a 180 and came out with strong encouragement for Alabamans to get vaccinated.
[nytimes.com]

fwiw, this seems to be the page that houses the data.

[dataverse.harvard.edu]

I wasn't able quickly to download and find what I wanted, but I am noticing on the author's publication that while they did a good job of discussing the issue that a fair amount of this is down to young people. This now has me wondering about younger people and whether they are eschewing religion relatively speaking (I'm assuming probably yes, but I just am not close to the topic).

If we ask about motivations, then there are several possibilities I can see, including not only that younger people may (overall) be more prone to think of themselves as invulnerable. It also has me wondering about a topic that is more of a pet topic for me, which is the severe (in my hypothesis) impact of the toxic voices on the radio spewing their vaccine/mask/pandemic disinformation. Are more youthful people more prone to listen to those voices? Actually, perhaps not, but just wondering.

kmaz Level 7 Aug 8, 2021

Thanks for that; sorry I did not read it all. I don't know if "secular" is a just word. When there are people too lazy to care about much of anything, good or bad- and when there are philosophical ideas that might be looked into, that would be a strange trip for them.

That's disappointing. Wish there was a break down done that included education level. Glennlab made a good point that the survey is from back in May.
In any event, the Delta variant has added a new wrinkle to the whole mess. I do not know if it is fair to say that lack of vaccinations, no masks or distancing has lead to the new surge but it would not surprise me it that is the basis.

The young always think they are invincible.

Yep, some! Then there are the students who surge above the rest--- with hours of intense study!

This survey does a snapshot of a moment in time in MAY. This was a time when the under 60 crowd was not on the priority list for the vaccines yet, so it would make sense that the young would be the leading group. There is also significant presupposed bias on the author, an ordained minister to cherry pick. By the end of May only 39% had been fully vaxed, by Aug 5, 50.37% of all Americans had been vaxed.

a link to the most current vaccine data
[usafacts.org]

Thank you, Glenn, that makes things more logical for me.

Totally agree. Would prefer to see more recent data.

This is so disturbing. I had hoped my girls (all atheists) were representative of their 20s age group because they were quick to sign up and get their vaccines as soon as it was available, possibly because they'd just spent almost a year only being able to visit with me through windows. Perhaps the incentive isn't as great for these kids, or their parents aren't non-religious?

I wish you had said they were agnostic. Who cares ,for 2 seconds of the day, about religion?

@Diogenes Hopefully it will make you feel better to know that I used a shorthand: they have so little care for religion in their lives that they don't like being pinned to a label about it. They have used atheist, agnostic, and freethinker indiscriminately when forced to call it something.

They also have a wide circle of friends who also have no ties to a religion, and one said having been raised without it was like "having dodged a bullet." Needless to say, I'm very pleased. 🙂

@Lauren I wasn't really raising a negative issue. I will not call myself an athiest- I just don't care about something as foolish as religion. And I also call myself a "free thinker"; in fact free enough to change my mind, if I have taken in a situation that is incorrect.

@Diogenes Me too. 😊

@Lauren Good morning😊

It may simply be that the evangelicals who are busy screeching at their audiences not to get vaccinated are simply the noisiest and get noticed but the actual people are ignoring that.
Could be that the anti vax misinformation has impacted the younger people more than we thought.
It is dissapointing that they are the group that seem the least likely to get the jab.

It is a crime that after they get the virus that they are allowd in the hospital. Thousands of healthcare workers have died because there had been no vaccines; then when there are vaccines available the clowns, with the hard lumps above their necks, won't take them. Only one thing to say, "Get out you fucking, stupid bastards; die in the street."

@Diogenes Oh I agree if they have had access to a vaccine and have refused to take it based on some spurious reason (I am not talking about those who can not take it for medical reasons) then they should be told to go and fight it off at home. Those that say their god will protect them should be allowed to stay and home and have their god help them fight it.
It is criminal that they will demand medical care but not take the one little step that would prevent or minimise the risk in the first place.

Do y'all remember Fox, et al, downplaying Covid because "only old people get it"?
No sympathy whatsoever!

Yep!

Very disappointing, you would think that group would be smart enough to get vaxed, but I would mostly chalk it up to how most young adults feel invincible, at least until they start losing some of their young friends to death....then reality finally hits....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.