Agnostic.com

13 8

I Don't Believe In Souls Or Spirits

I don't have a soul, I am a soulless being. Some folks might look at me when I say such a thing with a weird look on their face, but it's true I don't have a soul and I don't possess a spirit. I am basically just a human being with a body, but there's nothing extra about it.

The Afterlife

Here's the main reason there's no life after death, it's real simple, there's no way for brain activity to carry on after death, so if your brain activity is gone, then you the sum total of your brains memories, thoughts, feelings and emotions dies then you die with it. You will no more exist then when you didn't exist billions of years before you were born. That you will not remember that you were even born or even existed.

So yeah its a very strange concept to grasp of not ever existing or waking up again, but I assure you, you didn't exist billions of years ago, that you won't exist billions of years after you are gone that you will barely know the difference. So in hindsight I would say having no afterlife is better than having a after life. Could you truly imagine existing forever? Try to imagine a endless existence without end, you truly cannot, even if you partially imagined it as such, because honestly you could only imagine a small fraction of the eternity of time of which you could experience it, which would be so microscopically infinitismally tiny and insignificant throughout all of eternity that it wouldn't even be possible to imagine always existing forever whether by reincarnation or going to some other plane of existence supposedly after your death be it in a spirit world, heaven, hell or what have you.

So yeah this idea of a afterlife might sound comforting to you or others perhaps, but have you ever stopped to ponder the prospect that living forever is impossible to even logically contemplate to your current minds awareness, so how would it or could it even be possible to go on existing forever in any meaningful sense of the term to ones current minds awareness or knowledge even? I just don't see the necessary point of believing in this other than just simply fearing death because it means you won't be experiencing anything anymore which is a odd fear, because you certainly won't be experiencing anything so I don't know why it's such a fear for some people. Well if it isn't possible for you to experience or remember anything before you were born, I don't see how it would be possible to experience or know of anything after you die.

So I don't see the problem here. I just think people want to believe in a after life because they think they will experience nothing, well true you will experience nothing because your brain activity will no longer function for you to experience anything at all, but that doesn't mean you should be afraid of this fact, it just means you won't experience anything anymore. So that means no pain, no joy, no sorrow, not anything, you won't even have fear or worry even. Not even suffering or torment even, but you see this is simply so alien or foreign to us, because it seems so contrary to what we are all daily accustomed to that we have to shield ourselves from the fact that we all shall die some day, so we build up these elaborate mental defense mechanisms to delude ourselves into thinking it mustn't be so, we don't die, but as much as I would like to believe there is something after this life and that we don't die, I simply do not believe this is true anymore. I don't believe we survive death anymore then we could have a after life. I don't believe it's truly possible for me to go on existing forever and ever or that anyone whose alive currently will go on existing forever and ever. I mean sure it's a nice thought perhaps, if you are deluding yourself, but it's only a deluded thought, and nothing more.

There is absolutely no logical sense in the concept of a endless life extension beyond physical limitations. The fact that people believe this absurd concept is made only possible due to fear, insecurity and to cope with the prospects of death, but it doesn't add anything special or beneficial to your current life, in fact it only cheapens it, by stating that this current life is insufficient to a endless one. Well who wants to believe that nonsense? I don't.

AtheistForLife 4 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's the spirit.

Are you living and do you have a personality rather unique to yourself?

The basis essences of soul can be seen in etymology of the word. There are those aspects believed of soul continuing afterlife. Not debating if anything afterlife remains, but what attributes of you would there be asside from physical body? I think that the word personality best describes what a soul is with out regard to afterlife existence.

Spirit can have 2 meanings and be conflated in their use. Team spirit at a pep rally is a type of spirit that simply means motivation. Spirit on the other hand can be synonymous with or have connotations of the word ghost. If you were to think you seen a ghost you might be motivated with fear. Spirit might could be considered the thing or motive that motivates you. Maybe you are motivated to do nothing with your life in the spirit of nihilism.

Word Level 8 Aug 15, 2021

Very hard to prove the existence of something so intangible, you are probably right.

Very long winded way to say your sentience dies with your body...

Here is my self-written obituary....

THE END OF SENTIENCE

The day I die, that’s it. I’m Dead.
There’s really no need for crying.
The act of life, of birth and being,
Includes the act of dying.

No mausoleum, no funeral pyre,
Just lay me in the earth.
Let my body restore a part of what
It has plundered since its birth.

No platitudes, no priests, no myths
Of life in the everlasting.
Remember me for what I was.
Perhaps, gently regret my passing.

Perhaps, think of me as in the breeze,
But always bear in mind
It's just a ploy to ease the thoughts
Of those we leave behind.

We all must die; and yet live on,
Though neither in heaven nor hell:
But in genes, passed on, and on again
Down time’s eternal swell.

And also in deeds. The consequence
Of what we do on Earth
Can affect the lives of thousands
Who have yet to discover birth.

Judge not a life by piety,
But by things for which it stood.
Not from pious fear of godly wrath,
But from belief in the might of good.

It's possible we'll meet again
But only if, some day,
Men learn to bend the rules of time
And travel back this way

For once I’ve died, that’s it. I’m dead!
My sentience ends that day.
It will not have an after-life:
There is no need to pray.

Your reasoning is certainly solid. However, you may not have all the information. In particular, there is a deeper knowledge in your being that you haven't yet accessed. Which is why I've tried to keep an open mind through my many decades of atheism.

“you got to serve somebody”

guess im being censored now, can't UL images any more, but you might experience the 12oz Mouse “Eye” for yourself
and best wishes to you

To be honest we don't know if there is a soul or afterlife.

The onus of proof is on the professor.

i guess we’ve already done this? but “soul” and “life” are the same root in the bible…and obv jesus never said I came that you might have an afterlife, more abundantly

@AtheistForLife You need evidence to back your claim about the soul and afterlife.

If James Brown were alive today he would disagree with you. 😀

I’m with you on all this. Afterlife? Doesn’t even sound appealing to me. Your opening statements make me think you may be a philosophical materialist, like me. So, what do you make of “spirituality,” a term that definitely rubs me the wrong way? Whatever it is, it seems to have quite a few proponents on this site, and some of them seem almost evangelical about it. I’ve even had folks INSIST I must be spiritual, despite my protestations. Am I the only one “blessed” with such an experience?

ha so just bc many holyize and religify a term, does not mean that the term does not still have some relevance, maybe? You can for sure walk into a room full of kids and announce “we’re all going to disneyland” and change the “spirit” in the room right? And still run from those who claim “spiritual” i mean? which i agree is just usually a different way for a hypocrite to label themselves prolly

I don't think too many people here would think that is strange...

@AtheistForLife Which aren't hardly any people here. There's an occasional religious nut job that signs up to try to preach, but it doesn't take long for them to realize it ain't that kind of room and leave.

My doctor insist most of us have two soles.
But she is a podiatrist.

I'm in agreement with you 100 percent on this as it is the only thing that makes sense. Even so, I still remember the time studying for the ministry that I believed all the nonsense. There is no "going back" as some want to claim simply because there is no proof of a creator. The bible is not the only such book and the bible as we know it today came into being some 300 plus years after the time of Jesus.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:616056
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.