Agnostic.com

18 6

Does praying over every meal seem a bit ridiculous?

Although I don't believe in any gods or goddesses, I have to still put up with them and it seems like every single thing must be prayed over. Like a simple sandwich or a bowl of cereal. It just seems silly to have to kiss up to a deity for something you worked for. There's plenty of atheist, who obviously don't pray to God and many of them are fine, but then there is religious people and sometime they still end up getting killed or what not. Take all those religious people who lost their homes over there in Florida, if I'm not mistaken. I was told it is good to pray over your food so the lord will protect you from whatever danger lurks over your food.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seem ridiculous ? Yep !
Seems religious people (and republicans) mostly live in the shadow of fear... as you suggest, praying over every meal or “pastors” blaming hurricanes on homosexuality, and anti trump” protesters. “We must pray to remove this scourge from... “.
As a child I had that threat at home and school... school was worse, each hour the church bell would ring we'd have to kneel next to our desk, recite hail mary’s, get whacked by the “good nuns” if we rushed or didn’t show enough respect.
If I was gonna thank Jesus for my my meal I’d invoke his whole name, Jesus Torres Garcia...

Tomas Level 7 Dec 17, 2017

You need to inform them that they need to be thanking the farmer that grew it not some obeisant disconnected invisible Easter Bunny in the Sky. Put your gratitude where it belongs, farmer get little else they might as well get some thanks.

It's absurd.

Funny story: I recently had a meal with some really old people, because they are long family friends, and I was at their house after raking leaves for them. I sat down at the table and commented that everything smelled good and looked nutritious, or something along those lines. I starting eating the sweet potatoes, and said wow these are good, I’ve never had organic sweet potatoes, they kind of taste like pumpkin. I start looking around and nobody is eating and I’m thinking what the hell are they waiting for? About 6 seconds later I remembered that they are religious and I forgot that religious people pray before a meal. They didn’t say anything, but I stopped eating, and leaned back from my plate and they must of realized that I realized why they weren't eating. The elderly couple’s son starting saying grace and I felt so awkward because I didn’t know what to do besides just kind of lean forward and put my hand together. I know you’re thinking “just don’t participate and say you don’t believe in religion.”

The couple is 99 and 100 years old and they are the nicest people on the planet. I’m not gonna disrespect them and not at least kind of attempt to mumble amen and lord blah blah..

The son is 70 and I explained my personal views about religion to him in the kitchen but I cannot explain all the nuances of eastern philosophy, for example and materialism or the concept of god to people who are 99 and 100 years old. I’d rather just say respond with “Yeah, absolutely Jesus loves me.” These are good people, folks. They mean no harm.

It happens... you did the right thin, well stated.

Until we can all afford to have a taster ( for poison) it may be prudent to pray over the smallest morsel

I use to live in a household where they did it ALL the time... it's more-so annoying than anything...

Not going to thank god for the food. Might be good to take a moment and be thankful for those involved in planting, growing, harvesting, etc. For their labors. And for those who prepared what you are about to eat.

Exactly!

And to the Earth and Sun themselves, for bringing the food forth. That, and the many hands that have brought it to our tables. That's what I do.

I don't mind prayers over, or the blessing of, food. Its a moment to be mindful of the plight of the migrant workers who harvested my meal, the struggles of wage inequality for those who source the food to me, and the gluttony of excess when so many don't have enough to eat. I'm a vegetarian, but if meat is served, I'm mindful of the sacrifice of this animal to a culture of consumption.

I was in a Wendy;s the other day and a man and his wife starting praying over their burger and fries before eating. They joined hands and gave thanks to the lord for this wonderful bounty. I was a little annoying since they were so loud, so i just tried to ignore them. I have also been to family gatherings where the pre-meal invocation seems to last forever, which is a whole other story.

I have a cousin who is a rector (Anglican priest). When I had dinner with him, I paused at the start of the meal, expecting a prayer, but he just tucked in. "You don't say grace?" I asked. "No. Never a tradition in our family," he replied. His tone suggested he thought it was a silly idea.

I don't thank anyone for my meals - but I do feel gratitude that I have food. And a roof over me, and a warm bed to sleep in...

its stupid

If you had a wife like my ex, you would pray before eating.

Man! That doesn’t sound good at all.

sounds risky

It's an absurd tradition/superstition, probably a holdover from when people didn't understand why there were droughts and floods that ruined their crops so they created god[s] to save them from these misfortunes.

I think praying is ridiculous. Doesn't matter if it's before eating, before a game, or before doing something stupid.

I agree.

I think instead of praying for help, most atheists volunteer their help and money to people in need of help. Since god isn't doing shit.

Exactly! I think I'm going to slow down going around them since they wanna always show thanks to their invisable friends. Ugh!

Praying to an unapproachable imaginary entity seems a little ridiculous to begin with, but before every meal seems equally ridiculous.

Lol yes it does! I've gotten to where I slow down going around them. It's a sad day when you dread eating around someone.

I think it's silly, too, but like you, I don't subscribe to religious dogma. If I'm at somebody's house and they start praying over their food, I'll just look at my plate and remain silent for the duration of the incantations, just out of courtesy.

Sadly it was around family. Since it's closer to holidays, I figured I'd go around to visit family and friends.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6237
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.