Agnostic.com

13 15

LINK Church Attendance is Declining Even on Military Bases | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

It's no surprise as younger people are just not as religious, and the pandemic didn't help, but the twist is that church attendance i seven down on military bases.

snytiger6 9 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh no, what on earth will those poor unfortunate Preachers going do for a crust now, I'm going to sit here and have one HUGE and extra LONG laugh of absolute joy and pleasure the day every church,etc, etc, closes down because of NO-ONE attending them ever again.
But for now and to celebrate this most welcome piece of news, I'll have a cold beer instead.

Oh well!! Boo hoo waa waa.

People are waking up!!!

I'm not sure why a military base would be a factor in any way.
In fact, I would me more inclined to sleep in and/or do something more interesting.
Especially not looking at the same people I did every other day.

Maybe, that's a good sign we will be an Atheist nation one day

I think you are misreading the larger context.

The Christian Church is losing congregants because the weaponized conspiracy theories are appealing to the conspiratorial exercise of power that American Christianity has always indulged in.

People are either leaving Christianity because it is too unpopular or because they are joining the conspiracy/ extremism movement.

I don't think people are leaving Christianity because they are fundamentally becoming anti-religious or less religious.

It's just being replaced with something else.

You meant to include agnostics, right?

Perhaps John Lennon's song and Dream, "Imagine" is finally about to become a Reality.

@domos I think you are right. Social trends are often more complex than they seem, and there are usually things going on under the surface that the mass media never picks up on.

@Mb_Man the tools of targeted advertising are being combined with America's heritage of conspiracies in a weaponized way.

I do not want to inject another conspiracy into the mix but I find it hard to conceive of another way to accomplish a literal civil war that's different than what the Republicans have been doing.

The last 40 years of education policy has basically primed white Americans to demand a deliberate form of ignorance that they are determined to maintain with the recent patriotic education and attempts to shut down education on racism.

It is important to note that racist conspiracies, and beliefs have been the primary means of motivating and growing the far right base of supporters since the tea party.

The conspiracies are basically providing the conspiratorial exercise of power that these people use to get out of religion..

Good

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 26, 2021

Looks like there might be an atheist in the foxhole after all. My husband was definitely one on his deathbed.

So were my 2 Uncles in WWII and me and a whole lot of Aussies in Vietnam as well.

That might be because the saved are dying from something (surely not COVID as nobody dies from that). Eternal life slobbering on themselves next to a Trump-like God. What a fuckin' joke our species is. Maybe more are waking up but I see no sign anyone's getting smarter.

Church attendance is down?

Oh dear.

How sad.

But you know what? I think I will somehow manage to restrain my bitter tears of sorrow.

Oh, what a shame.....

Happy to hear about the decline of Church attendance…

Happy to hear about the decline of Church attendance…

Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:630408
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.