Agnostic.com

7 14

LINK Bertrand Russell's Ten Commandments for Living in a Healthy Democracy | Open Culture

Russell, nailing it on liberalism and democracy, as he did on so many things.

Apart from the 10 principles, the other take aways:

“The essence of liberalism is an attempt to secure a social order not based on irrational dogma [a feature of tyranny], and insuring stability [which anarchy undermines] without involving more restraints than are necessary for the preservation of the community.”

"The essence of the liberal outlook in the intellectual sphere is a belief that unbiased discussion is a useful thing and that men should be free to question anything if they can support their questioning by solid arguments. The opposite view, which is maintained by those who cannot be called liberals, is that the truth is already known, and that to question it is necessarily subversive"

Trust that it is understood that by liberalism Russell means philosophical liberalism, the philosophy that should underpin all open societies, not the American use of the word 'liberal - liberalism' much maligned by that country's reactionary conservatives. I've never liked that use of the word. When I hear the word 'liberal' used as a term of abuse it makes me cringe.

David1955 8 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Liberal = tolerant. But not of fascism, autocracy, corruption, riots, coup attempt. etc. It pertains to race, religion, gender, differences. I am liberal because I endure non liberals opinions. I listen to them & try to apply reason & facts & truth & history, but THEY are not liberal so the opposition resorts to intolerance.

I always liked Russell, and I love the neatness of his ten points.

I am a liberal because I want to continually explore new and better ways to do what needs to be done for a healthier and more stable America.

Great article. Number 4 makes me mindful of cancel culture, when people offended by others' statements seek not merely to refute those others but to silence them.

Seems so to me, as well, and I'm surprised. I've pushed Prog ideas for 35 years and seeing the liberal responses, trying to weigh what I can glean of human affairs from both sides, so find it enlightening. Having stepped away from concern for our species or future has really freed my mind from Tribalism. Very few are listening to anyone outside their bubbles.

Incidentally, I'm a liberal because of the first quote: “The essence of liberalism is an attempt to secure a social order not based on irrational dogma [a feature of tyranny], and insuring stability [which anarchy undermines] without involving more restraints than are necessary for the preservation of the community.”

It's also grating to me that most Americans are too ignorant to understand the difference between liberal politics, such as being for equal rights for all, legal abortion, etc. and neoliberalism, which is an economic policy that both major parties in the US embrace. Neoliberal economic policy is never honestly discussed, and almost never even mentioned, in the corporate mass media of the US, because it only favors multinational corporations and the rich, never workers or the average peasant here. But if you ask most Americans, they will confuse the two terms and assume, wrongly, that most people like me who advocate liberal social policies, also support neoliberal economics, and, at least for me, nothing could be further from the truth.

I think the words are too similar. People don't know what neo means so they just figure it's something to do with being liberal. I've noticed that people are losing the use of many prefixes (nobody uses un for "not," or re for "again," for instance) so this is related. Call neoliberalism something else. Like those examples, it doesn't matter if what you call it is banal or the right thing to use. Just do it.

We in America have Ronald Reagan and Co. (GOP) to thank for poisoning the word "liberal." That was done intentionally. Further confusing everyone is the term "neo-liberal," which is something entirely different.

I am a liberal because I consider it to be the superior position.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:633395
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.