Agnostic.com

21 30

LINK Atheists are viewed as less desirable romantic partners, study finds

So, this is why I've never been a big hit in the romance stakes. I'm an atheist. And here I was thinking it was because I had plain looks and a low bank balance.

I note this was a survey of the religious, so no bias there, right? Also it is in the southern states of America -- god's own country isn't it?

Just for the record, I've never viewed the religious as desirable romantic partners as well. All those hang ups. So there.

David1955 8 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being Atheist is a useful filtering tool.

I can’t love this enough. Great news! The religious will me alone then? I am thrilled! I make no secret of my atheism and complete disgust with the religious but now I’ll step it up a notch or two.

I was told by a former boyfriend that men like religious women because most of them are gullible and have minimal boundaries. My skepticism and boundaries weren’t attractive. Thanks for the confirmation!

I think boys go where the girls are and hope for a connection. Something they can use to gain attention with them. Religion is a way for parents to get the kids hooked up early.

Yes, if she is religious, it is very easy to say I love you for your faith and closeness to god, and by definition she will believe anything. lol

LOL not if you're an atheist.

Mere words cannot begin to describe my utter devastation.

Yes, it does matter who they ask!

A flawed study

I've never dated a women who didn't believe in some kind of religion. That's the original reason I joined this site. I googled where to meet an atheist and got here. Still haven't met one in my area. Probably the reason I'll be alone for the rest of my life. I personally don't care what they believe but it always seems to become an issue for them at some point in the relationship. I don't push my beliefs on anyone but it doesn't seem to matter to them. I always eventually get "I can't be with someone who doesn't believe in god". But I'm not giving up, we just haven't found each other yet.

I think that it’s women who push the “spiritual” in some manner (even if that’s as Astronomy, Tarot, New Age, or Catholicism/Christian) and men merely take it over, become “Leaders,” in order to get girls. We know that’s why musicians took up their instrument.

@rainmanjr Perfect.

@rainmanjr Sticks, is that true, lol?

You don't want one of those evangelical cunts, your life would be miserable, stick with women like we have here

If only we could, Bob. The problem is for those of us like me, who live in pretty religious areas. We end up with relatively few women in our dating pools that are non-believers, or open-minded enough to accept a non-believer for dating. And then there's the women on Agnostic, who usually live far away and even then are not willing to date LD or relocate to an area like mine, and for good reason, if they already live somewhere more progressive and diverse. Or somewhere with better weather as well.

@TomMcGiverin Yeah sucks big time, at least there are far fewer evangelical women here even if not many agnostic or atheist then add age to it, still hard but not good one

@TomMcGiverin amen!

Yes but it does make you more attractive to a much better quality of romantic partner. Which can't be too bad. A good way to sort the wheat from the chaff perhaps ? Maybe not that much wheat in there, but would you be happy with chaff ?

Well considering how many Crazy Xstian are out there and answering surveys, this response would make sense because they also think that Atheists worship the devil when we don't worship anything except our own humanity. I do know a few Xstian girls from my past who were anything but holy in the sack, must be all that repression and guilt but Holy Fuck! (pun intended)

That's exactly what I was going to say- they think we worship the devil because that's what they are told. If you aren't with God, you're with Satan

I know but then that had all that guilt, and fear that God would punish them.

Have any studies asked nones if we view theists as desirable romantic partners?

I didn’t and, an agnostic, I married an agnostic. Now an atheist, I still view theists as undesirable.

Yes it's not just belief in religion, but a whole lot of baggage that goes with it, from my experience. Belief in religion, or not, isn't just an opinion issue, but different ways of looking at the world and life. While opposites attract, this is a big divide to reconcile.

I just shy away from anyone who brings religion into the conversion. There are many people who don't announce they are Ags or Ats, myself included. Wearing our beliefs outside this circle serves no useful purpose.

Yes I'm not really comfortable being around religious people generally. Exceptions apart I always feel, if they are overtly religious, that I'm in the presence of immature people like children, and it's uncomfortable to me. Plus it brings out my worst side.

I actually enjoy meeting religious people. It is a pure joy when you ask them questions about what is written in the bible and they have no clue.

From my own experience Jesus wound up being a rather creepily interposed third party. Talk about awkward love triangles, I had to compete with an imaginary yet popular fictional figure. I’m not being flippant. This was of hurtful consequence for me psychologically.

In psychology this is known as a para social relationship, and it can be any figure we don't know personally but they live in our heads, like a movie star, an historical or mythical figure, including and especially religious figures. It's very interesting to me. Religious people mostly don't know they have a para social relationship with their religious figure.

I call it "Fucking for Jesus"

I don't have a low bank balance but I would have to become a liar in order to date most women. To do this in my area a quick way would be to go to church, be friendly and tell the truth. Talk to women and you can bet a church gal will start thinking she can reform you. If she finds out later this was all to get her in the sack you are lower than dirt. I would not feel good being this cruel just to get laid. The other alternative if you went this path would be that you pretend to become converted because you found out the two of you deserve each other. It happens all the time. I'm on a couple of dating sites but I agree with Tom. You find out you are undateable to 80% of the women there.

I'm glad that you value being ethical and honest. I have known plenty of men thru jobs I worked that would do anything to get laid, including going to churches to troll for women and pretending to be Holy Joe in order to do it, or even to troll AA meetings and pretend to be an alcoholic. Most people have no idea what kind of male scum we are competing with in the dating game. But I suppose that accounts for some of why so many single women in the dating game are so cynical and suspicious of all men in general, since many of them have been burned by assholes like this.

@TomMcGiverin Very true. What many forget is that men are wanting somewhere to plant their seed simply as a release. Women are more into wanting to find real intimacy. The natural nurturing quality of a woman sometimes gets her to thinking she "can change" this bad-boy man. Men know this and they play this phoney game.

@TomMcGiverin Interesting that you turn it on men rather than wonder why so many women are found in such groups.

@rainmanjr I can only guess as to whether women are at those groups out of pure motives and genuine interest in religion or sobriety, respectively, since I have not been privy to their inner thoughts about the opposite sex and dating. My gender and my work experiences have not given me access to their private motives about those groups the way I have by working with men. So I may be wrong about women being more honorable about attending those groups than some men, but I doubt I am wrong about this. Maybe some women here on Agnostic, who have had access to the motives of other women, will weigh in on this?

And here all this time I thought it was because I was an asshole....🤨

I can be an asshole at certain times and with certain people, as I have a low tolerance for bullshit and those who play games. But, like Fox Mulder in The X-Files, had with his partner Scully, I had my own "human credential" with my late wife, proving that I was indeed not only human, but a good person....

Not to fellow atheists….to them not being religious is probably the most desirable attribute in a partner. This is not so much a study but more an exercise in bias confirmation!

I would agree. We are less desirable (to the religious crowd). One thing we do have going for us is we don't have to obey all the silly, 'thou shall not' crap.

A few of my dating partners and relationships ended because I wasn't religious and/or wasn't interested in becoming religious.

Their loss

Hooray. My "short term relationship" rating is high!

Those you proclaim they love god(s) and Jesus always seem to believe that love is in the air not between two individuals!!!

Tell me about it. In my local dating pool on Match, it makes you undateable in the eyes of about 80% of the women my age, along with not having kids or being less than a moderate drinker.

Oh yeah, the bias is out there. But here's the thing, I believe that women are very methodical about sizing up men for involvement, factoring in all factors on the plus and minus side. I don't think being atheist alone is sufficient, unless the women is a religious nut, in which case she looks specifically for the love that God has sent her (and if he has a shit load of money that'd help)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:637469
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.