Agnostic.com

2 6

LINK This conservative Republican just told an uncomfortable truth about the Trump wing in Congress

Texas Rep. Dan Crenshaw did something rare in Republican politics over the weekend: He used actual facts to rebut a commonly held misconception.

Speaking at an event for the Texas Liberty Alliance PAC on Sunday, Crenshaw lit into what are often believed to be the most conservative -- and most Trump-loving -- members of the GOP conference.

Here's Crenshaw:

"There's two types of Members of Congress: There's performance artists and legislators. The performance artists are the ones that get all the attention, the ones you think are more conservative because they know how to say slogans real well, they know how to recite the lines that they know our voters want to hear."

He then goes on to cite data suggesting that Illinois Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger, an outspoken critic of Donald Trump, was actually one of the most loyal supporters of the then-President's agenda in 2017 and 2018, during the 115th Congress when Republicans held both the House and Senate majorities.

Then Crenshaw drops the hammer, noting that the House Freedom Caucus members were some of the least loyal to Trump's agenda. "All of them," Crenshaw insisted.

"What you hear so often is not true," Crenshaw warned the audience. "We have grifters in our midst... in the conservative movement. Lie after lie after lie."

So, is Crenshaw right?

FiveThirtyEight kept tabs on votes in support of Trump's agenda and positions for all four years of his presidency. Which makes it relatively easy to fact-check Crenshaw's claims.

In the 115th Congress, Kinzinger, that scourge of all Trumpists, voted in line with the Trump position 99% of the time. That put him in a tie for the 2nd most Trump-y voting record in the House over those two years.

And some of the least supportive members of the Trump agenda over that same time were, in fact, members of the Freedom Caucus. There was Arizona Rep. Andy Biggs, who backed the Trump position just 72.9% of the time. And fellow Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar, who was with Trump only 77.8% of the time. And Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert (80.4%). And Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz (81.1%). And Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks (83.7%). And South Carolina Rep. Ralph Norman (83.9%). And even Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan (85.1%).

(For his part, Crenshaw wasn't in the 115th Congress under GOP control. When he got elected and served in the back half of the Trump presidency in the House GOP minority, he voted with Trump 90.8% of the time, according to FiveThirtyEight.)

There's more -- lots more -- but you get the idea. Crenshaw, in the main, is absolutely right that Kinzinger was one of the strongest supporters of Trump's agenda over his first two years in the White House and prominent members of the House Freedom Caucus were among the then-President's least steady backers.

Neither Crenshaw's office nor that of Biggs, the current Freedom Caucus chair, immediately responded to a request for comment.

What gives? My educated guess is that Trumpism isn't really about a set of conservative policy positions. It's about an attitude (confrontational) and a worldview (conspiratorial).

Does Trump even know the facts Crenshaw was telling the crowd on Sunday? Probably not. And it's not immediately clear to me he would care. Trump likes performers and the House Freedom Caucus -- from Gaetz to Gohmert to Jordan -- is full of them. They are the faces of the modern Trump Republican Party -- even though their voting records suggest they have been something short of fully supportive of the former President.

HippieChick58 9 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Illinois Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger" is actually from Nebraska and this news, if correct, is curious.

Adam Daniel Kinzinger is an American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Illinois's 16th congressional district. The district covers eastern Rockford, most of Rockford's suburbs, and a swath of exurban territory around Chicago. He is a member of the Republican Party.

Adam Kinzinger was born on February 27, 1978, in Kankakee, Illinois, the son of Betty Jo, an elementary school teacher, and Rus Kinzinger, a CEO of faith-based organizations. After spending part of his youth in Jacksonville, Florida, he was primarily raised in Bloomington, Illinois. He graduated from Normal Community West High School in 1996[7] and earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Illinois State University in 2000.[8]

In 1998, while a student at Illinois State, Kinzinger ran for election as a county board member in McLean County. He won, at age 20, and was one of the youngest serving county board members in McLean County history,[9][10] defeating an incumbent county board member. Kinzinger remained on the board until his resignation in 2003.[11]

Kinzinger worked as an intern for former U.S. Senator Peter Fitzgerald shortly after his graduation from Illinois State, as part of a program offered there.[12]

I don't find any connection to Nebraska for him, thank dawg. We've got enough wackos here.

@HippieChick58 I'll be damned. I thought he is from Nebraska, obviously. Thanks for the correction.

@rainmanjr I was hoping you were wrong so I had to research it. Nebraska has enough morons, I didn't want to know about another one.

@HippieChick58 There's one pocket that is lib and Kondracki kept pointing it out. I thought Kinzinger was their Rep. Johnny Carson was from Nebraska and his mother was a terrible person. When I left my brother, in NW Indiana, for CA (after leaving the AF) a cop got behind me in Nebraska. Everyone I had passed up in Chicago caught up to me. Gad, was I pissed off. haha.

@rainmanjr Omaha is the liberal pocket in this state, and just barely. And yeah, some Nebraska cops don't have enough to do, damn flat boring state. I know where Johnny Carson grew up, even he got out of this state.

Hmmmmmmm.... They're all useless

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:637986
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.