Agnostic.com

18 13

LINK Yes, Inability to Do Math Results in Being Deeply Religious

Inability to comprehend math concepts predisposes you to religious acceptance.

Reignmond 7 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most here have failed to read the entire article and/or search deeper.

A quote from the author of the book mentioned....
"Innumeracy, an inability to deal comfortably with the fundamental notions of number and chance, plagues far too many otherwise knowledgeable citizens. The same people who cringe when words such as "imply" and "infer" are confused react without a trace of embarrassment to even the most egregious of numerical solecisms. I remember once listening to someone at a party drone on about the difference between "continually" and "continuously." Later that evening we were watching the news, and the TV weathercaster announced that there was a 50 percent chance of rain for Saturday and a 50 percent chance for Sunday, and concluded that there was therefore a 100 percent chance of rain that weekend. The remark went right by the self-styled grammarian, and even after I explained the mistake to him, he wasn't nearly as indignant as he would have been had the weathercaster left a dangling participle."

As a group professed to be interested in the truth, you need to realize that you need to find it.

Long before I could do simple math, I was already asking questions about god and the church that there were no answers to. I would say that understanding logic, having a questioning mind, and not taking a pat answer for the truth were much more important than my math skills.

I'm pretty good at math. I do calculus, geometry and trigonometry for work.

Well, it's an opinion. I'm a twin, I can do simple math but not algebra or calculus and quit going to church at 12years old. My identical twin can do algebra and calculus, joined the church goes to church and thinks things in America are fucked up because we took God out of the schools.

From your description, I am wondering if you are Mirror identical twins.

@snytiger6 Mentally maybe but not physically. Mannerisms are very alike but her bullshit meter was never properly calibrated.

For me, my ability to read with comprehension (something I think most Baby Boomers were taught in school) and cognitive math skills (rather than all the math I had to wade through in college as a Science major) were important elements of how & why I am an Atheist. What the author is talking about is more about recognizing the math relationships and principles.

Anyone who can comprehend that the 13,000,000,000 year old universe is composed of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars would find it extremely unlikely that the creator of the universe would first create it, then take a particular interest in 1/1000th of the population in 1 of 8,500,000 species on one of the planets orbiting one of the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars and decide to knock up one of their virgins.

BD66 Level 8 Feb 28, 2022

And there you have it.

He promised his dad he would find the "perfect girl". We all know what THAT means. Total obedience, subservience and blind faith...anything to get her out of the house 😂

This opinion piece is pure bunk, some of the best mathematicians I've known have been deeply religious, others totally non religious. Thankfully this was marked as opinion and not passed off as science.

The article is an "opinion", the book is not. It is backed by statistics.

I quit going to church at 14, and became an Atheist in my mid twenties. I totaly suck at math and have no interest in math. I still have no idea what algebra is for or how the hell l passed it. I am a drummer, and only have to count to four. One doesn't need math skills to have the ability for critical thought, and critical thought is what is required to figure out religions and the whole God thing.

Hold on chief !
I can’t do math . 0. If it’s not medical math , drugs / drips / etc , I can’t do any math . I have no idea how I got through colleges . Absolutely and barely
To say the basics , that’s a stretch 🙄
But here I am , 0 affections for any gods , demons , spirits , whatever , 0. Not now , not ever 😂😂😂
Sister was doing complicated math at age of 4. Entered medical school at age of 13. 0 affection for gods ever . We are both the same 40 and 50 yrs later , I am still counting horses in my head if I run out of fingers , she is still a genius doctor , and we both think exorcist was the best comedy ever 😂😂😂😂

I can do simple math but not algebra or calculus. Even so, I do daily online banking and also use a calculator. Daily or not you have to keep after it.

Interesting but not universal by any means. I did quite well in college algebra but I have absolutely no ability regarding understanding the vastness of the cosmos in mathematical terms.I've been an atheist for a long time despite that deficiency.

It seems to me that such articles and the claims made therein are at best amusing. Take a look at the following link.

[famousscientists.org]

@Garban Who knows? Beliefs that have been held for a long time do not suddenly disappear. In the case off early scientists it would have been foolish to say anything that might have been construed or deemed to be a challenge to the power of the Catholic Church.

An interesting exercise might be to find out which scientists today hold deeply religous beliefs.

You can't count folks from the 1800s. But I am very aware of some working (doing good work many are Physicists) and teaching who are devout.

@Garban During the time of Newton the notion of the Philosopher's Stone still was still prevalent. I recall some years ago watching a documentary interview that featured Umberto Eco. Towards the end of the interview he was asked what he would like for his epitaph and he replied: "This is the Philosopher's Stone."

But, do they become incompetent because of their religion, or did their incompetence represent a symptom of their gullibility.

I believe the later. After all, if you don't have an idea how reality works, it would be easy to trick you into believing in magic.

😂 Oh my, many are getting lost in the reading of the article and the conceptual math relationships.

I don't know about religion but it certainly make you easily taken in by things like gambling, and if you are foolish enough to fall for that, are you really fit, to say, vote in an election ?

There may be some similarity between religion and gambling in so far as both have a notion of a future reward.

@Gwendolyn2018 No, it often has everything to do with math, for the maths type of person, it is not just about skills, but having a math attuned attitude of mind, as well. Maths is a metaphor for the world, about pure abstract manipulation of symbolic ideas, and any one who has learned even at the most basic level the pure joy and pleasure of that, takes the understanding to heart. So that affects personality, in a profound way, and does provide a defence against things like gambling, although it is true that there are other porsonality types who are safe as well.

@ASTRALMAX That is very true, it involves a reward which is not promissed and requires belief, mistaken belief in both cases. Indeed you could say that those religions which claim to offer cures for gambling addiction, ar just replacing one gambling addiction with another.

That just doesn’t add up….😁

Cut it out 😂😂

I don't think that is true. I knew some religious kids that were good at math. I have trouble with math outside of the basics.

Don’t christians believe that (1+1)+1=1?

Yes they do, and some of them also believe that men have only 23 ribs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653082
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.