Agnostic.com

25 10

Are you an extrovert or introvert?

My theory is that those that are brought up in religion and become atheist are more likely introverts. I think introverts are more prone to self examination and intellectual curiosity. Extroverts are more likely to follow the tribe they were born into without questioning it.

Your thoughts?

FvckY0u 8 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Introverts do not need people to feel comfortable or to recharge their energy.
Extroverts need people to feel comfortable & to recharge their energy.

Theories are supported by evidence.

What you have is a hypothesis.

He may well have evidence. And by definition a theory does not require evidence for it to be postulated.

@Reignmond

Wrong. Theories require evidence by definition.

A theory is a hypothesis supported by evidence.

And if he has it, until he shows it, his "theory" is just a bullshit assertion.

@Toonman,
A theory that is supported by evidence is a proof or a fact. Of course, all things we call "Facts" (or similar terms) are actually couched in the probability that they are such. The more proofs there are to the positive, the more likely it is true.. However, it takes only one valid disproof to invalidate it.

@Reignmond

There isn't enough ranch dressing in the world to coat that colossal word salad you just burped out.

@Toonman
You are entitled to your opinion.

@Reignmond

No shit. Everyone is.

Have a nice day. Try not to decapitate yourself.

Well, I'm quite introverted but I don't think it's not related to my beliefs, it's just the way I am. I don't think the personal beliefs have anything to do about being introverted or not.

IDK? I can talk your leg off and I work with the public but my private time is alone and all for me and all about me.

I must admit that I am quite a bit similar, and while I partly claim it is because I am an old man eho can "talk story", for ne it is a learned behavior.

Indoctrination didn't take. I didn't question so much as I felt what I thought was confirmed early on.

I also think I carry both introverted and extroverted qualities.

Everyone is different.
Not to mention, I eschew most labels.
I know who I am, and I don't fit into most people's boxes.

Except for the indoctrination part you could be describing me as well. I exclude the indoctrination because I was not subjected to early childhood religious indoctrination. I am thankful for that.

Then as a Psychologist of quite some note I most humbly add, in my well educated opinion your as sane and normal as you can possibly be given that you ARE you, there IS no-one else EXACTLY like you, you ARE an Individual and such terminologies are merely Guidelines and Blanket Diagnoses at their very best.

@dumasarok A Hint to keep from mentally torturing yourself here.
You, me, everyone else are INDIVIDUALS, we are Singular Human Entities therefore we are ALL different and do NOT fit in to those neat little boxes, all made of ticky-tacky that the, imo, Human sheep Graziers would have us be for their convenience.

@Triphid I like the way you think. In my opinion that is why "Big" doesn't work, as in cities, government, business, and organizations. "Big" is an eventual detriment to the ones they serve and are supported by. History has shown that although it may take many generation they eventually they self destruct. 🙂

I don't know if being introverted had anything to do with my rejection of religion or not. I do know that self-reflection comes naturally for me and is part of my personality. I was always the "why" kid, wanting to know about stuff to the annoyance of my family. Curiosity, as far as I know is not dependent on introvert/extrovert personalities. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 1, 2022

@Garban The "why" can lead to critical thinking, which is the reason I encouraged my son to question even when my answer had to be "I don't know". 🙂

Basically, the terms mean this in Psychology.
Extrovert/Extroverted/Extroversion = Out-going, often unreserved by and in nature, prone more towards BEING Leaders than being Followers, and,
Introvert/Introverted/Introversion = not out-going, MAY appear/seem or be to keep oneself to oneself, shy, retiring, of the 'loner' type by choice and preference, more comfortable following the 'herd' than leading it.
Many Introverted people are often 'labelled' extremely wrongly by society, etc, as being either " thinking they are better than everyone else," " their shit does NOT stink whereas ours does," etc, etc, etc, BUT these are GREAT MIS-conceptions, Introverts DO NOT see themselves as being better than the rest, quite the opposite in fact 99.999% of the time.
In all Truth and Psychological FACT, it IS the Extroverts who think, for the majority of them that is, and see themselves as being "Better than the rest," "their shit DOES NOT stink," where they walk the rest should follow and sing their praises," etc, etc, etc.
And in between, so to speak, we have the rest of human kind, i.e. those of us who a mix of both Extro and Introvert who, for the major part, TRY to keep things balance between the other two mind-sets.

@Triphid Thank you. That is very helpful. I'm not sure exactly where I fit or if it is fluid. I know that I don't think of myself as "better than" or of anyone as being "less than", just that as humans we are fallible, prone to making mistakes and adaptable to new situations. 🙂

I'm a mix of both. I live with my GF, and enjoy me and her time together.

Okay, so DEFINITELY NOT try to sound derisive or down-putting, etc, here BUT first,
a) what, if any, may one ask is your grounding (education, etc, for those who may be a little less educated than others} in the realms of Psychology,
b) if you are educated in Psychology then to what level/s are you educated in this discipline,
c) where did YOU arrive at your definitions/descriptions of i) Extroverts and, ii) Introverts ?

Congratulations Triphid, you succeeded without even trying. The original poster has every right to offer a topic for conversation without being attacked. Many here are responding in yhe spirit of friendly and open discussion, and it has been interesting to see the experiences others for comparison.

I guess I'm a mix.
I have no problem at all speaking with people on a business type basis or hanging out and meeting socially every now and then.
But I am also very comfortable being with myself and don't feel a speck of loneliness.

Nah..I'm an extra with a bit of intro..I've Always been curious..and brought up Irish Catlic, which was in doubt even as a kid. At this point in my life I proudly proclaim my Atheism.

No one has ever accused me of being an introvert.

Same here, but sometimes I cry. I am a lacrivert? I made that up, don't worry.

Having been both a theist and then athiest, I don’t believe I changed in the deconversion. Frankly I feel the degree of intro/extrovert is more related to my parents behaviors..

I refer you to the replies of @Triphid (a trained psychologist) and @Gwendolyn2018 (a very smart person and an academic). You might want to think about how you would design a study into that question.

If you want one data point in that study, I am highly introverted and I have an ability to think, and I am a rabid anti-theist (as well as being an atheist).

@Gwendolyn2018 An extroverted introvert sounds complex (but not necessarily a complex number 😉 ).

@Gwendolyn2018 That figures. The crossover points on Myers-Briggs present some interesting philosophical questions.

@Gwendolyn2018 I am the same.

I am definitely an introvert. I get bad anxieties, sometimes it's hard for me to even leave my house. Used to be on meds need to get back on them. This pandemic hasn't effected me as much because I didn't go anywhere or do anything even before it started.

btw, having Anxiety problems does NOT, necessarily place you squarely in the Introverted basket by ANY means.
Anxiety Disorders, just like the vast majority of Psychological Disorders such as Depression and the like are TREATABLE and often Curable as well and given the rush, hustle and bustle of this world we now live in, in my well educated opinion, such afflictions as Anxiety, etc, are getting, excuse the expression, to be almost "Par for the Course" unfortunately.
So, please smile and tell yourself that no matter what, unless you have are planning some horrible crime/s, you are just as human as everyone else and probablty more so because you are WILLING to admit that you are NOT 100% perfect, you have a small fault just like everyone else does but REFUSE to admit it.

@Triphid Sage advice. Anxiety and fear are part of the human condition and have always been. With easy access to world information that is often negative, there is more free time to dwell on them than in previous generations.

I haven't noticed any such correlation.

I am viewed by most people as an extrovert, my ex was unequivocally an introvert. I would say that you are giving credence to your tribe, and seeking to show superiority rather than examining the totality of how someone becomes an atheist.

I don't believe that any single other trait defines an atheist except in the lack of a belief in a god.

I definitely fall on the introverted side. I dont' think introverts receive as much positive reenforcement from religion(s), as extroverts do. Which is another factor to consider beside introspection.

Yes I am.

Furthermore, I'm sick of the way that you've just gone and got yourself a swag of points.

It wouldn't surprise me if a descent of doctors of divinity had done something on paper about this.

Introvert or extrovert? I'm a pervert!

Tejas Level 8 Mar 1, 2022

A fact that supports that introverts tend towards introspection is their greater frontal lobe activity and blood flow.

[webmd.com].

And you base your theory on what evidence?

I am innately introverted and introspective. I have learned many extrovert behaviors as a matter of necessity. I spent 15 years giving almost daily lectures on various topics to knowledgable audiences and defending theories & papers. I feel my lack of need for group approval was an important factor in my becoming an Atheist.

That is correct with me.

We're all just left holding sand.

My MBTI is INTP. I am pretty solidly on the Introverted side. I have only recently begun to call myself an atheist. For quite a long time I called myself agnostic, but I have had to admit to myself that atheist defines me better. I don't know if your hypothesis is correct, but in my case I may provide some data in favor.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.