Agnostic.com

23 26

Trumpster furious because I refuse to date Trump supporters.

When a critical mass of people find your values regressive, your political beliefs inhumane, and your political hero repellent, it’s not them. It’s you.

"Your intolerance and discrimination are breathtaking, far worse than any racial discrimination in this country," a white Trumpster from Nevada messaged me on Fitness Singles yesterday. Of course his ridiculous, angry rant was longer.

On my profile I wrote, "If you are a Trump supporter, hit the back button NOW."

I want to date people I actually like, who share similar values.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting encounter, LH, and it works in reverse too. I had a conversation with a woman the other day who, out of the blue, told me she thought Robert E. Lee was the greatest general in the history of the world. She was shocked when I told her he was a reprehensible human being who personally owned people as chattel, and a shitty general who frequently attacked when he should have retreated. Her jaw nearly dropped to the floor. I run into these every so often in NC, the "we've been here since the 1690's" crowd, and guess who they support politically? I was rescued from that conversation by a friend of mine who saw what was happening, but yeah, why in the world would I, or anyone, get involved with someone like that? There is a strong correlation between the ultra religious and the politically odious, too. I've sidestepped a number of those human potholes myself.

@zeuser

"Human potholes" is hilarious! Love your reply.

Lee was " reckless" with the lives of his soldiers. And that's being kind

How "political odd couples" like Kellyanne and George Conway, and Mary Matalin and James Carville navigate their relationships is a mystery to me. Hats off to them for seemingly being able to do so, but it shouldn't come as a huge surprise to anyone that most people do better in an intimate relationship with others of like mind. That this person can't accept that is a red flag in itself.

Lacking the capacity for self reflection, Trumpers cannot see how odious, obnoxious, and obtuse they really are. And that's only the Os...🤣

Thin skinned people are among the biggest fuckin’ morons in existence.

You stated on your profile you don’t welcome Chump supporters. Perhaps he can’t read properly, but why should that be a surprise? Look at the arrested Jan.6 rioters whose stupidity made the Prosecutions jobs so easy because of their Texts, social media posts about their ‘Patriotic’ actions.

Sad and downright pathetic.

How dare you be racist against the Great and Mighty Messiah Trump!

But seriously, I've noticed repeatedly that conservatives seem to go batshitcrazy over things that have zero impact on their lives such as who someone does or does not want to date, what someone else reads or watches or buys or wears or how they cut their hair. Someone a thousand miles away has a differing opinion and conservatives lose their minds.

I want to comment here not so much on the romance angle, but on the point about "tolerance". This has been a key tactic of many Republicans for awhile and needs some sunlight. I've been in some conversations where a Republican will say something like "but I thought you folks (or liberals or whatever) were supposed to be open to, or tolerant of, different points of view". They have been using this doorway for awhile now to smuggle in their most outrageous points of view to a conversation and then to claim some sort of "equivalence" principle. I finally had enough during the 2020 election when I sensed that some friends and relatives were using it to lay the groundwork for post-election reconciliation, along the lines of "well, you know, it's a disagreement about politics".

So, I told them all:

• If you vote for Trump, then you're voting for the end of the rule of law in the US.
  • If you vote to end the rule of law in the US, then this is a deeply improper advocacy not at all within the boundaries of conventional every-4-years good-willed hard-hitting-but-fair-minded American political debate. (This middle part I did not articulate sufficiently well at the time).
  • If you take this deeply improper position then there is damage to your relationship with me, and that damage is 100% on you. I can't help you with it.

I did get very strong push-back from one friend who tried to pretend this boiled down to whatever he was substituting for logic in his reasoning. From the rest I got silence. I was pleased though with my formulation... and (given all the muddying of the water of discussion done mostly by the opposition, over so many years and decades), I was a little surprised that I had been able to get to a place with it that was clear to me and that I think was correct and impactful.

kmaz Level 7 Apr 7, 2022

I want to add two things:

1. Prior to this blunt communication to my wider circle of friends, I made a narrower one to family, and those friends who grew up Jewish with me. They all know I"m an atheist, but I tried to appeal to our Hebrew School common background to claim that this was a moment we had all discussed decades prior, in our lessons about "Never Again", and trying to learn from the Holocaust. I thought it was fairly clear that the proposal to re-elect Trump was a proposal to re-elect a would-be violent demagogic dictator. My blunt point to those who would vote for Trump was that apparently "Never Again" didn't mean quite that much to them. Most, but not all, of my Jewish friends and family did see it my way.

Anyway, what was interesting was that a few of my Trump-leaning non-Jewish friends took offense and pushed back (even though they had less idea than they thought as to what I was talking about), and that largely ended my relationship with those folks. I look at it like this - it was good to find out how they were thinking.

1. The other thing I want to say is that, really, I'm more Republican-leaning (in some older meaning of the word) than most other Biden voters. But the party itself and its platform have gone so far off the rails, in my opinion, that I have voted Democrat now in six consecutive Presidential elections... usually more of an anti-Republican vote than a pro-Democrat one.

I've gotten the same type of comments when I've said no trumpets.

I feel the same way, and will probably stay single. 😍

Let's see. Trump supporter? So, they support unwanted groping, bullying, making fun of people with medical conditions, disrespecting veterans, being violent, lying incessantly, raping, and so much more. Is there anything left to like? Oh yeah, anti-women regarding as abortions rights; Republicans like that, and hating liberals to death.

Well, I think my entire family, even just the living members are trumpsters. I think 90% of those living in this building, 80 people or so, are trumpsters. I wouldn't be surprised if the conservative side of this site is bigger than the "liberal" side. I think the reason that so little of the Democratic agenda is being enacted because they are trying to woo the trumpists.

Someday more people will realize that it takes more than a president to enact an agenda. That's really hard to explain to people who are desperately wanting something different.

If the voters give our president a Democratic Senate majority and hold the house things might get done, if they stay home because they're disappointed they will deserve the government they get but I won't.

I'm grateful every day that my family members are way left of center, and feel sorry that they face discrimination every day from those who aren't.

Though they wouldn't want to admit it, Trumpians like Kauffman and your 'friend' from Nevada share a lot in common with ultra conservative religious men, who view women as subservient to men, per God's plan. These insecure, emotionally (and quite possibly physically) impotent men value women only to the extent that they can be objectified. And anger is the first response toward any woman who is uninterested in these egotistical losers. As Jessica Valenti quipped when discussing Piers Morgan's repeated whining about Meghan Markle, who, when she was still an actress, 'ghosted' him after meeting him once for drink: "Hell hath no fury like a man rejected."
[jessica.substack.com]

I wouldn't expect any rational response from a Trump supporter - and the response you got proves that. Gaslighting by projection in accusing you of intolerance and discrimination is right in their playbook. That's exactly why you deny Trumpers into your dating possibilities. He illustrates the reason right there! 😉

I dropped out of the online dating scene before the orange cheeto made his way into politics, but even then voting republican was up there with new age woo, sports nuts, drug addicts and daily garlic eaters, before I'd even meet with them, and then next category was grammar, spelling, table manners and personal hygiene. Not too many passed through that threshold - I settled on a poor speller - but he ended up being a lying cheat, so now if I were ever to decide to date again, honesty and honor would be a pre-requisite right up there with no Trumpers.

I am an EXCELLENT Speller

I don't want to date a 45 supporter either. SInce none of them can think for themselves., etc.

Tough for them you have taste and have a conscience

I have no time for anybody who uses his syphilitic testicles as a substitute for his brain.

Good Article BTW. I sent it on to a friend of mine who has been dateless, but also has weaned himself off Fox News and is changing his attitude.

I wonder if he will take it personally.....

twill Level 7 Apr 7, 2022

You can point out that there are MANY types of people you refuse to date.

@BitFlipper

Exactly. Just because a man is attracted to me, doesn't make the feeling mutual.

We all have the right to say no.

@LiterateHiker I agree

Yes - I received a similar verbal thrashing from one of 'em. " you say you're open minded and tolerant !"

I replied : "that I am - but I will not tolerate intolerance of reason and truth" ... buh-bye.

Tolerance is a two way street. I am not tolerant of those who belittle racial minorities, cultural minorities, alternative lifestyles, alternative religions, atheists, "non-conforming" sexual behaviours, and intelligence. I am also intolerant of bigots, bullies, chauvinists, the willfully ignorant, the willfully stupid, and narcissists. If you fit any of those categories, deal with it, Sunshine!

@anglophone Damn - I may have to borrow your all-inclusive paragraph, should another dumpster-trumpster show up ! Excellent.

The utility of Litmus tests vary greatly. "No Trumpers" suggests an aversion to those who place not a shred of value on character, principles or decency, so I consider that highly defensible.

I agree, and since I'm in a red state, I'm fine being single.

This type of man, Trumpster, are really misogynists in general. They try to appeal to women through power. (let alone everyone and everything else) I can't imagine Donald himself, the "playboy" having even a slim chance at even one woman without his money.

BUT women prove time and time again that money does indeed talk.
It's almost like a poor man can't get laid and a rich man will never be loved.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Since these Trumpsters will forever be on a treadmill seeking the power and blessings from those above them, having some sort of power in place of wealth, is probably what eliminates their thinking capacity and empathy, let alone normal ambitions.
It is a brutal mental & emotional existence for them and all who they ensnare.

The movie "Good" with Vigo Mortenson played some of this power dynamic out really well.

twill Level 7 Apr 7, 2022

Their inability to understand this simple principle reveals the mental deficiency that makes them trumpanzees.

I have considered dating a trump-supporter, but that's because I'm desperate.

I’m sure there are ton of Trump loving ‘Karen’s’ in Nevada that don’t want to date him either. What a loser......

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:659565
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.