Agnostic.com

18 15

LINK Supreme Court Has Voted To Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows - POLITICO

This has happened. 4th amendment doesn't exist as far as this SCOTUS is concerned.

barjoe 9 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why aren't more people outraged by this?

The assholes plan is working

I have a slight hope that it will wake people up and get them involved politically even when they have never paid any attention before.

I assume this WILL galvanize voters. The big question is will it be enough to overcome voter supression, stacked courts, and handpicked Trumpist elections officials?

@MikeInBatonRouge Excellent question.

Well this is the realization of the religious right's dreams. And they have Moscow Mitch and Don Cheato to thank for it. Welcome to the American theocracy. Let's hope it doesn't progress to theocratic autocracy. 😐

This was touted as a states' rights issue, among other things, but you can bet ReTrumplicans already are salivating at the prospect of federal legislation to ban abortion nationwide the instant they can get their grubby paws on control of Congress and the Whitehouse.
Handmaid's Tale nightmare.

As a gay, middleaged man, I am certainly not directly impacted by this, but its meaning is still chilling. These absolute Xtian Dominionist fascists are coming after all our basic privacy rights. 🤬

The Red States are already going after LGBTQ rights at a feverish pace. It’s only a matter of time until they wind up in front of the Catholic Court. What do you think the probability of gay marriage being reversed will be?

It's been 591 days since RBG died. I assume by 650 Roe will officially be gone, and likely the next day we will start putting women in prison for getting an abortion. I said it that day and I'll say it again, "Women, kiss your uterus goodbye."

"Kiss your uterus goodbye, ladies.

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies At 87 : NPR" [npr.org]"

Note that it says to overturn and give abortion rights back to states elected representatives. This will be a sad day. Women's healthcare goes out the window and GOP states will have watchdogs reporting those who run to other states for abortion. The reporters will be paid, of course. Pardon my French please because this is all goddamned criminal!

No pardon necessary. Only theists think taking "lord's name in vain" is profanity.

Women are losing their rights in the United States, one little step at a time. Quite simply, our laws are confirming that woman are not equal to men. Are we willing to let that continue? I, for one, am NOT.

The US never even ratified the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA). Yes, we are going backwards, the line in the sand that signifies equality has been moved too many times.

@MizJ I hate to say this, but the majority of women are ALLOWING this to happen.

@mischl Misogyny is ingrained in our society just as racism is. Women are not encouraged to be supportive to one another, they compete with one another to the detriment of all. I have been a victim of it.

When we as a society respect and value our daughters as we do our sons and raise females with healthy self esteem this will change, not before.

This is the beginning of the end of women's civil rights in this country.

We have been backsliding for quite some time, it's been gradual but there. A few years ago I asked a twenty something if she knew who Gloria Steinem was...blank stare.

I know people my age (old enough) who don't know who Gloria Steinem is. More importantly, I know way too many people who are completely ignorant of this topic and many others that are plaguing our country and our world right now.

Am I the only male in our agnostic community who is a member and contributor to NOW, Planned Parenthood, and ACLU? Trust me, I am SERIOUS about womens' rights.

@mischl I hope you are not the only one. It is a man's issue too-I believe. I know that the men in my life don't want this to happen. But I don't think they are quite as outraged as I am. Although, I am pretty sure that if my father were alive he would be more outraged than I am. He was extremely pro-choice (more than I am, truthfully) and he was a Republican, if you can believe it.

It is not about the right to life! It is about controlling women!!!!! We better have a PINK WAVE at the polls. And all men who love there wives, daughters, mothers and sisters better be at the polls too.

Good. Women could not get out to support HRC and they were thrilled to get Justice O'Connor, in large number, so I gather they approve. If I gather wrong then they should say so this November.

There is nothing good about this. EVERYONE should get out to the polls, but I wish you would not say it is "good". There should be a turnout like no other because of this, but with all the voter suppression who can say if even that would do any good in this day -in-age.

@MyTVC15 Yet another threat people didn't take seriously. We've known for decades that Republicans base their voter suppression on racist/sexist desires, yet people didn't continually and repeatedly vote against them in landslide numbers. Is it too late now? Maybe. We, women especially it seems, will reap what we sow.

@MyTVC15 Zen informs us that whatever happens is good, that it is as it needs to be (as mandated by consequence of other actions), but I use it somewhat sarcastically as well. It's its own duality! I'll have to share that with a Zen group.

Oh ffs! We’re living in the Handmaid’s Tale. This is what happens when majority of justices are right wing catholics determined to impose their dogma on the rest of us.

This is all about the declining birth rate of the white majority of the women who are of child bearing age. Instead of incentivizing women to have children, they are going to force them to have them by making it hard to get birth control and harder to get abortion.

Yep, birth control is next, Griswold vs Connecticut, was how we got to Roe vs Wade and that fucking Catholic bitch who was rushed onto the court wants to see the end of birth control. 😡

Well said !

So fucked up and wrong.
Abortion is no one's business, except the individual woman and her medical provider.

Fuck the republicans, fuck 45 for stacking the court with religutards, and an extra big fuck you to Mitch McConnell for refusing to allow Merrick Garland to go through the confirmation process.

Now it will be up to the states - so more reason for republicans to urge their candidates to win to fight for stricter abortion laws in their states. This might backfire on them, and I can only hope so. I personally am pro-choice.

Nobody wants an abortion. Without more options available for women who will face violence against them from their partners, where their life and that of the baby are threatened, I can only hope that more family planning options, such as birth control widely and freely available, will gain more traction, but one has to wonder if funding for planned parenthood will also continue to be cut or non-existent in republican states.

Of course a movement toward making sex more special and not used simply to degrade women going forward, is a social change which could be a positive result. More like a pie in the sky wish.

With such real consequences and no "get out of parenthood free" card, sex will have to become something thought about carefully, not casually, for those without birth control options. Women can often be thoughtful about going forward with sex, but often men are not so thoughtful when initiating a sexual relationship, especially rapists and serial abusers. We can only hope people will be more careful.

This is a sad reality, as I fully believe women should have rights regarding their own bodies and lives. Hopefully some good will come of it, not the negative consequences that weigh heavily on my mind. Also, I can only hope that some states will preserve women's autonomy over our own bodies.

It's scary to know women can now be forced to give birth, when they may not have even consented to sex in the first place.

This is Ruth Bader Ginsburgs real legacy.

This is not the fault of just one person.

@MyTVC15 It sure AF didn't help. If Ruth had give her seat up, at least the vote would be 4-4 right now waiting for Roberts. The current 5-3 pretty much guarantees Roe is going to be gone soon.

If Trump by himself doesn't destroy the GOP, he and women wll.

More republican small gubbermint.

No one will be surprised.

No, really I am shocked. This is the beginning of the end of women's civil rights in this country.

@MyTVC15 I called this the day she died. People like my buddy Brian said the Republicans would never follow through with it because it was more valuable to be able to say they wanted to ban abortion to get people to vote than it was to actually ban it. I told him he was dreaming and I was right...

"Kiss your uterus goodbye, ladies.

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies At 87 : NPR" [npr.org]"

@ChestRockfield The Republicans will not have what they want if there is a huge backlash, which is what I am hoping for.

@MyTVC15 How so? Why would they care if there is a backlash as long as abortion is banned?

@MyTVC15 if the 70% of people who favor legal abortion show up and vote against them, they will seriously be pissed. Plus, it takes away one of their big yelling points, how they will protect the unborn, even though they never passed legislation while they had control of the government, it gave them a whipping girl.

@Barnie2years @MyTVC15
Well, this is the bargain they made with each other. The "regular" greedy Republicans wanted a massive tax cut like usual and the religious right who think they have morals held their nose and voted for the most morally bankrupt piece of shit the electorate had ever seen so they could get the judges they needed to overturn Roe. If they cede power, so be it. That's how they work. They get into power, do awful greedy shit that benefits only the rich, only for it to cause them to lose power and they ride through the Dem years counting their cash. This time while half of them are counting their cash the other half of them get to count all of the women that die from botched back alley abortions. (i.e. They know the things they did may cost them control, and they are all fine with it.) Go back and look at footage of the 'King of saying the quiet part out loud' openly telling the religious right, "Even if you don't like me, you have to vote for me to get the beautiful new judges."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:664034
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.