Agnostic.com

9 24

LINK I'm a member of The Satanic Temple and got outed at work — Ask a Manager

I’m a member of The Satanic Temple and got outed at work
by ALISON GREEN on MAY 3, 2022

A reader writes:

I’m a member of The Satanic Temple. That information got out at work and now things are unpleasant and awkward.

I became a passionate patients’ rights advocate when a family member almost died after they were denied emergency medical treatment on religious grounds. The unexpected delay in care almost cost my family member their life and it was a frightening time for our family. I found The Satanic Temple (TST) through my patient advocacy. TST supports access to scientifically factual medical care as well as encourages empathy, kindness, and charity work. Even though my local chapter is very much not bats and snakes and sleeping in grave dirt, I don’t discuss my membership at work because I know it could make others uncomfortable despite the fact that my company is actually very progressive.

I was working the TST booth in during a weekend charity drive/festival event town over when a few coworkers were there with friends and family saw me. I didn’t think it would be a problem since they stopped and chatted and even made a . I think they were surprised because I’m a very vanilla person, but their was very kind.

My boss pulled me into a private meeting that Monday. To my knowledge, she was not at the fundraiser so I think it was brought to her attention. She was snappy and exasperated, rolling her eyes as she asked me if I needed any kind of religious accommodations. I clarified that I didn’t and it was never my intention for this part of my personal life to be common knowledge and I’d be happy if everyone just dropped it. She rolled her eyes again and said, “Whatever, just don’t let this become a problem.” The temperature in the office got weirder fast.

Later that week, a coworker told the new intern, “Be careful of LW, she worships Satan. She’ll curse you haha.” I’ve been called “Sabrina” and asked horrible questions about my personal life (like did your pet really die or were they a sacrifice kind of terrible questions). My office mate, who I always thought of as a good friend, made a big show of putting religious paraphernalia around our office, most of which are related to protection from evil. It makes me sad she feels unsafe around me. If she had put them without knowing about TST, I wouldn’t be bothered at all. My boss, who I used to have a great professional relationship with, is still acting like she’s annoyed with me and is very short when we need to interact. I asked her if there was a problem and she responded “I don’t know, is there?” I don’t know if this is how my manager reacts to religion in general or just things that make her uncomfortable.

Do I address this with HR or do I ignore it and wait for something else interesting to take the office gossip spot? My beliefs encourage me to meet everyone with empathy, and kindness, and to seek out a fair resolution to all personal conflicts. This is exactly why I didn’t want to bring it at work.

Allison answers:

*Talk to HR. This is no different than if you started being harassed at work and frozen out by your boss after people found out you were any other religion.

*If your boss weren’t involved, you could possibly start with her and see if she were able to deal with it on her own (by making clear to team members that comments about your religion were unacceptable) but since she’s part of the problem, HR is the right next step.

In fact, I’m more concerned about your boss than I am about your coworkers. Your coworkers’ reactions have been intrusive and obnoxious, but it’s possible that the “she’ll curse you, haha” comments could die out pretty fast once they get bored. Your boss, on the other hand, seems to have changed her entire relationship with you in a way that will make it impossible for her to manage you effectively. And her “I don’t know, is there?” response when you asked if there was a problem is outright hostile and says you’re not going to be able to solve this on your own.

So … HR, and use the words “religious discrimination.”

(Because I expect it to come as readers contemplate this letter: As I was answering this letter, I found myself wondering why the Satanic Temple has kept a name that results in its members being harassed and misunderstood solely on the basis of the name, when in fact they don’t believe in Satan and advocate doing good, not evil. From what I’ve been reading, the name is a device that allows the to make a political and social point — for example, demanding the same privileges for Satanists that many Christians take for granted, like erecting religious monuments on government property or organizing a prayer in government meetings.)

HippieChick58 9 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a member, I don't advertise either. But they get some good lawsuits going, won some.

So much for constitutionally-protected rights. They only protect you from the government (on a good day), not from private citizens.

So much for constitutionally-protected rights. They only protect you from the government, not from private citizens.

I'm disgusted by the behavior of the boss and some of the coworkers. A lawsuit would be no doubt stressful for the employee, but it may be good in the long run.

The Ask a Manager post links to a good Vox article (from 2017) on The Satanic Temple.
[vox.com]

HR is around to clarify the position of your corporation. Seldom do they take your side of anything. As for Satanic Temple it will be believed by them that you are a Devil worshiper.

It's a common misconception, but it's a mistake to think that HR are there to help you. Their job is to minimise employee problems for the employer, help them avoid liabilities and legal suits, not help the employee. If that involves small changes to staff that might work to your advantage, otherwise, if they think the problems are too big they will advise the company on the quietest way to shuffle you out the door. Commonly that is to manufacture a disciplinary event, such as get someone to file a bullying complaint about you before you have a chance to get in first. If the culture in your office becomes too toxic, I would recommend that you get out fast. It's easier for them to destroy you or your reputation than change others

"Their job is to minimise employee problems for the employer, help them avoid liabilities and legal suits, not help the employee." Exactly! A good lawyer could provide you with advice on how to deal with these clowns.

@OldMetalHead I'm sure you're correct but I'm just cautioning against the idea that HR will do what they can to help the employee. They try to "smooth things over" and it's not the same thing. You have to be careful what you say to HR and it's often better to get good legal advice first or at least gather evidence first (before HR change it).

@Cyklone If you take it HR make sure your issue is presented in writing. "Talking" to HR is ridiculous for the points that you mention, but if it's in writing and in your file they legally have to do something or the company becomes responsible for ignoring a problem. Unfortunately most people make the assumption that because the HR person gives looks of concern and empathy that they are impartial and on your side, don't fall for it. Put anything that can be defined as negative involving your employer IN WRITING. That way if it does go to court you have documentation instead of "he said, she said".

"....they don't believe in Satan and advocate for doing good, not evil"
OR
They don't believe in Jesus and advocate for doing evil, not good.

twill Level 7 May 3, 2022

Lawsuit!! 💰💵💰💵💰💵💰
Maybe I should get active in TST and let it get out at work. I'd love to retire early.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:664187
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.