Agnostic.com

14 15

LINK Graduation speaker tells students to honor the Bible by avoiding gay marriage

(Until the 13th century, and St. Augustine, the early Christian church actually performed a marriage like ceremony for same sex couples. Source: Christianity, Social Tolerance And Homosexuality by John Boswell, University of Chicago Press.)

On Friday, during a speech at the graduation ceremony for River Valley High School in Caledonia, Ohio, former RV graduate and local business owner Jim McGuire told students to follow the Bible and to stop being gay.

snytiger6 9 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's no place for this kind of speech at graduation. I get that, in some places, gay marriages are still a taboo topic. But thankfully, gay marriages are being gradually accepted around the world. That shows that we are growing as a society, and I hope speeches like this aren't common and aren't supported by the audience.
I wouldn't allow a speaker like that again to my event.
I've organized quite a few events myself and used the services of a speaker for hire a few times. I never had a speaker talk about something I didn't want him to discuss. There is no place for hateful comments during speeches. One has to make sure that invited speakers are competent before letting them speak at an event.

Autopsies done on Gay people have shown the brain is wired differently from straight people. It is a physical thing that cannot be chosen. We are told God does not make mistakes, this in the face of numerous birth defects and hermaphrodites as well as Chymera in the world. So if God does not make mistakes, then he made these people gay deliberately and therefore these religious nut jobs need to not only accept them, but embrace them.

There are also genetic studies showing some gene combinations are uniquely only found in gay persons.

@snytiger6 yes, correct, and these genetic mutations are responsible for the physical differences in the brain. Also, the fact that all embryos start out as female can be a factor here. Either way, we are all human and should all be treated as such. As a straight female, I have no issue being friends with a lesbian. If others due, that is their problem. I am not afraid a lesbian will "turn me"

They keep thinking that being gay is a choice.

I have no time for such dangerous imbeciles.

Asshole

bobwjr Level 10 June 2, 2022

It is the downplaying of these kinds of remarks that encourage and embolden others to bully, harass, and indulge in violent acts.

To suggest that romantic love is restricted to male/female relationships is belittling and disrespectful. To experience love and have it reciprocated is truly special, and to have it denied based on sexual orientation is criminal.

Betty Level 8 June 2, 2022

Exactly!

I'm way more concerned with who people hate, rather than with who people love, esp. when the haters possess automatic weapons...

The bible has nothing to do with the USA. How about honoring the Constitution and "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" along with "Liberty and Justice for ALL"?

If only.

Shit a brick Mate, may one enquire as to exactly what planet you have been living on for the last 8 decades?

Just another fucking moronic idiot which can not comprehend what his Bible actually states!!!

That man has an unhealthy obsession with other people's sex lives. He needs to see a psychologist.

I like the way you think. 🙂

More likely a Psychiatric Hospital than a Psychologist imo.

He should be made to swallow a folio-sized edition of the Babble in one go.

Imo, he, the vocalizer of the idiotic comment, can go and shove his religio-tard bullshit as far up his arse as humanly possible and then continue shoving it upwards as many times as he can draw breath.

A pure dick move, hijacking a ceremony for religious purposes. When I was in school, we had some such benediction ceremony bullsit on a separate night. I got a note from my parents that I would not be going. It was a public school, and that should have been enough, but I got called into the principal's office because he wanted to know the whys and wherefores of my absence. I wanted to say because I don't do religious bullshit, however, at 17, I used another truth - my brother bought me tickets to something else.

Where I live, local churches still hold those kind of benediction services, for their student members, around the time of graduation, but at least the public school students are not obligated to attend any of them. The public schools all also cater to the churches by not having any school activities, including sports, on Wed. evening during the school year, in order to not compete with church night activities on Wed., which are common. The only time they have school activities on a Wed. school night are during sports playoffs during the school year.

Jim McGuire is obviously a knuckle-dragging cave man. Who the hell gave him the microphone?

That would have been funny as hell, at least to me, if the school officials had cut his mic or kicked him off the stage...

@TomMcGiverin That, at least would have shown the students that the school cared.

News flash: Rich, "successful" asshole speaks at HS graduation....

They should end that tradition.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:669490
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.