Agnostic.com

11 19

Well my friends, another change has come about in my life. After spending 18 months in the state I grew up in, I found there was no possible way for me to be able to live on my own in California. Just too expensive for someone on SS and a small pension. I was able to get my little sister onto a better future with her health, and was able to help her and husband a great deal to fix up their home. I am pleased I was able to help her and renew our relationship. I love my sister and brother-in-law, however, I didn't want to live with them forever.

I want my own place so my son said, "come on back to Texas mom and we will help you find a place of your own here". I did miss my family here in Texas, but I wanted to live in California where it felt like home. I wanted to live out my remaining years in a place I loved. Well, we can't always get what we want can we? My load is much lighter this trip as I left a lot of my furniture with my sister as they had no furniture other than a bedroom set, a day bed and a TV. So now I have arrived back in Texas, welcomed by my beautiful grandchildren and my new great granddaughter and my two sons. I'm happy yet sad. Such is life as I always say, and will have to make the best of my situation.

Redheadedgammy 9 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm sorry California didn't work out for you. I hope Texas works better for you. I'm going to be in flux myself in a few months. My SC house is just too far from anything so I'm going to sell it. I have no idea what I'll do after this t hough.

Thank you Bud. It seems that a lot of us seniors are trying to find our way and place in life. It’s a tough world out there anymore, and difficult to navigate, especially when everything costs so much. I’m fortunate to have a sweet son and daughter-in-law who love me and don’t mind me staying with them. We help each other out. 😉 I still want a place of my own but short of winning the lottery I’m not sure it will happen as everything here in Texas has gone up considerably too. I hope you will be able to find a new place that works better for you Bud. 🤗

@Redheadedgammy Thank you for your concern, Rhonda. I've taken a break from the Red Cross to have 4 surgeries in the last year, including hip replacement a month ago. I hope to be in good health for hurricane season. It's started already.

@BudFrank wow, 4 surgeries in a year! I hope you are doing better after all that and I hope your health has improved after the surgeries Bud. Nothing worse than being ill and in pain!

@Redheadedgammy arthritis in thumb, shoulder and hip. Carpal tunnel in hand. I think I'm getting to where the general pain level is pretty tolerable.

@BudFrank I have arthritis in my left hip, but so far cannabis and CBD make it tolerable. 😉

@Redheadedgammy that's another reason to leave the Carolinas. They have be eel slow to allow it

@BudFrank If I were you I would look into moving to a state that has both legalized cannabis and CBD. Another friend of mine who used to be on this site moved to New Mexico and it is legal there. The cost of living hasn’t gotten too terribly bad there yet but who knows what the future holds?

Well at least you are close to your family. Where in Texas are you? Just want to look it up on a map, kind of a vicarious vacation. The only way I travel.

I’m near Houston, a little South and West of Houston in a city called Richmond. 😉

@Redheadedgammy I hope the hurricane season is gentle with you and your family.

@dalefvictor Not some thing I’m looking forward to that’s for sure.

Rhonda, welcome back to Texas. I know it was a tough decision, but you'll be fine. Plus all the stuff @Pralina1 said.

Thank you for the positive thoughts Glenn. I know things will eventually work out for me, so I will keep plowing ahead and focus on loving these grandkids and find joy wherever I can. 😘

Rhonda, you know I wish you nothing but the best life has to offer, and hope a life closer to your family and grandchildren in Texas will see your dreams of having a place of your own fulfilled. As I said to @Pralina1, you my dear are one of life’s “givers”…and that means you are a gift to all who know and are loved by you. I’m sure your sister will miss you and I’m sorry you just couldn’t find the means to get a place of your own near her in California, but you’re leaving her and her husband in a much better position than before you came…your mission to help her a success. That must leave you feeling very satisfied, and you’ll have somewhere to return back to for holiday trips in the future.

I’m sure all your family are excited about your return to Texas, and some “girl time” with your 14 year old granddaughter may be just the thing she needs to set her back on the right track again. All the grandchildren will benefit from your return…and you will too I feel sure. Keep us informed as we’re all rooting for you….you lovely lady! 🥰❤️

Especially the 14 yr old ♥️♥️🙌🙌🙌 u are right ma’am ♥️

Oh Marje, I feel so very fortunate to have connected with so many great people on this site! It still amazes me how close I feel to so many of you here. 😍 The last four years posting here has been a sort of refuge to soothe my heart and mind after the loss of Richard. I am feeling good in my heart about my sister and her health, and feel certain she will be taking better care of herself. We had many long talks that brought us closer than we’ve been in years. It seems I am good at taking care of others and am needed again here in Texas for awhile longer, so will give it my all. Thank you for your friendship and encouragement. 😘

@Redheadedgammy You know I’m on the end of a PM any time you need to chat! 🥰

@Marionville Thank you Marje, I sometimes need a good chat with a friend! 😘

Rhonda , u were needed in Cali and u are needed in texas . And I think , of what I know of u the last 4 yrs , u are the type of a sweet / easy going moma cat that is happy when she gives love .
That’s what u did in Cali , and that’s what u going to do in texas . I think u are the type of human that can make flowers out of a pile of shit , and I think back in texas is not shit . It’s familiar , is ok , and your people need u .
Cheers ( water bottle but ok , at work 🙄), to texas and to grandkids and to more affordable life . This is gonna be ok ma’am ♥️🙌
U are loved ♥️

You’ve said it all already Pralina. Rhonda is one of life’s “givers”….she will bring love, joy and sunshine everywhere she goes. 💖

Thank you Pralina, I am just as you said, happy and fulfilled when I can help others, especially my family and friends. I got a little frustrated with my sister for a while, but my perseverance and prodding her along to get to doctors appointments and dentist appointments paid off. I’m sure she was ready to see me go a few times, but we talked and strategized about how to get her doing better and it worked.

I feel good about that because her life has been a hard one. She is in a much better place now, and she has a nice clean house freshly painted and some used but nice furniture now! 😍 Another friend of mine told me that perhaps I was just supposed to be there long enough to make a difference in my sister’s life and now it is time to move again to help others that I love. I think she’s right, it is what I am supposed to do. 😘

I hope the joy of being closer to your grandchildren will eventually compensate for losing the place you wanted to be. Texas politics suck but your vote is probably needed there more than it's needed in California.

It is a joy to see these grandkids, and now my 1st great granddaughter! As LovinLarge said, "who knows what is on my horizon, my place is in Texas for now".

I'm staying in New York. The winter weather kills off the varmints.

I do love New York, but that cold winter weather is something! You have to be tough to get through the winters there. I remember how miserable I was every winter in Nebraska where my husband was from, and now that I'm older, with arthritis, I don't know if I could handle it.

@Redheadedgammy I understand the Nebraska Winters are brutal.

I will be living prudently whenever I retire. I'm actually considering being an ex pat. Another country sounds like an adventure to me. If I stay here, I would have to work in some capacity.

It seems that may have to be a choice for many in this Country. I've been told many times by my Canadian Cousins that they would help me come to Canada if I wanted to. They said they would sponsor me so I could come live there legally. It is beautiful as can be there, but the cold winters are hard on old bodies. Still, if things keep going from bad to worse here in the US, I may think about it. Where have you thought of moving?

@Redheadedgammy A number of places and I continue to research. Portugal, a few spots in Indonesia, Munich....eg

@Larimar You should check out Tenerife, Spain. It was a dream of mine to visit there. I was dating a wonderful guy back in the early 90’s and we made plans to go there on vacation. He was German and had been there many times and wanted to take me. He passed away from a sudden heart attack so I never got to go see it. I had done a lot of research on the island and knew I would have loved it. 😔

That sentiment will get you through the toughest spots. And here's another: everything is temporary. Your place is in Texas for now. Who knows what's on the horizon? Much respect to you.

Thank you for the reminder. I'm trying to look at it as I am still needed here for a while longer. And as you say, "who knows what's on the horizon?" Thank you again for your kind words.

Hang in there; Rhonda. Governor Abbott is doing all he can to get a Democrat elected to replace him.

The toughest part of being here is knowing who the Governor is. I do have some good friends here, so that will make it easier. Thanks for your encouragement, and I will hope you're correct about a replacement for Abbott.

It’s nice you get to be with family that loves you even if they drive you crazy.

Yes, I am fortunate to have a loving family, who do drive me crazy at times. As long as we steer clear of politics we are all good. I bite my tongue a lot to keep the peace, and think maybe I can have some sway with these grandkids! I will certainly try that's for sure....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670285
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.