Agnostic.com

15 24

LINK Walgreens boycott called after employees refuse to sell contraception due to religious beliefs

OK. Buh-bye Walgreen's. 👋

My list of people, places and things, that I will not support in any fashion, is so long that it won't be long and I'll be living totally off-grid.

SeaGreenEyez 9 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[nbcnews.com]

Apparently CVS is not a safe resort either. And certain states give pharmers the right too.

Thanks for the info. I now know who to avoid (I almost never go to the big box drugstores anyway).

Militant Christians will be happy to deny others products they object to, but watch how upset they get and believe they are being persecuted when a Muslin or Mormon refuses to sell them alcohol.

My pharmacy is Walmart but there is a closer one where I live. It is smaller and called Sinks. I don't switch because the Sinks people would deny prescriptions for sure. One person working there used to have "Trump is my president, Jesus is my savior"written all over her SUV. I really think she had her message turned all around on that one. Trump lost and it was always like she was going to cry.

Can I go buy a Biden hat now? 🙂

I dare them to deny birth control to a woman in California because she is not married.

California Civil Code § 51:
(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the Unruh Civil Rights Act.

🍺 All persons within the jurisdiction of this state are free and equal, and no matter what their sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, primary language, or immigration status are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, privileges, or services in all business establishments of every kind whatsoever.

When I was in high school I was looking for a job. A friend offered to get me in at the local pharmacy where he worked.

It sounded great until I realized it meant I would be selling cigarettes to people. I had lost my great aunt to a very nasty case of lung cancer, and could not in good conscience sell cigarettes. I didn't go for the job.

This isn't rocket science. Walgreen's policy is to sell condoms and birth control pills. If you can't do that, get a job somewhere else.

If Walgreen's is really all that adamant about protecting the religious beliefs of their employees, I need to get a job there and then refuse to come into work because it violates my religious beliefs. Unless they keep sending the paychecks, I will sue them.

I won't be spending any money at Walgreens.

So, if a worker refuses to sell anything to any customer because of his religious beliefs, does he still have a job?

Only if his employer agrees

I don't use Walgreens or Walmart, there's a CVS where I get prescriptions and the usual OTC stuff. I use Aldi or BJs instead of Walmart.

Until religiosity is a documented disability protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act, no one should be allowed to refuse to do or fail to do their job because of their religion without getting fired.

I can't remember the last I was even in a Walgreens. Should this include walmart as well? They are after all owned by the same family.

According to Quora: Yes, in the sense that.....
They are both stores.
They both have a retail side and a pharmacy side.
They both start with “Wal”.
Otherwise they have no common business connections

@SeaGreenEyez my bad. I thought they were both owned by the walton family. I should of done research.

If I ever witness that kind of behavior, I will raise 10 kinds of hell, whether I'm the customer in question or not.
These things cannot be allowed to happen.
FUCK people's religious beliefs.
Imsick of their shit.

KKGator Level 9 July 21, 2022

Ditto. Pretty soon when we get in line at a grocery store under the 12 items or less sign will be a sign pointing out what each cashier is willing to scan or not.. It's going to be a nightmare.

@GrooshStar Time to hit the self-checkout line

@TheoryNumber3 yeah, but sometimes I hate using those things especially if I have a cart full of stuff. Sometimes I buy a month worth of stuff so I'm not constantly going to the store especially in the winter time.

@GrooshStar I get that..... but I sure wouldn't want to be in that self checkout line behind you and your cart full of stuff LOL. I eat a plant based diet, so I'm constantly at the store buying fresh produce and such. I like the self checkouts because they're generally faster. In the beginning, I avoided them because I knew they were replacing employees with machines... but you can't stop progress. They're a thing now.

@TheoryNumber3 you're right about them being a thing now and eventually replace all cashiers. There will be a few ppl standing around waiting to assist anyone with an issue. I don't mind the ones with a conveyor, it's the smaller ones I don't care for. I probably wouldn't mind it either if I stopped and ate better like yourself.

There are 3 CVS pharmacies and 4 Rite Aids within a 4 mile radius of my house. The one lowly Walgreens is about to be history in this liberal area.

Can a store checker who's Jewish refuse to sell ham to a customer now? Where does it end?

Exactly, the same for alcohol and tobacco products.

It seems to me that Walgreens needs to fire those who aren't following "company policy." The policy, to which I do not agree, states that the employee can step away, but must call or contact a manager - these assholes are refusing to call someone and MUST be fucking fired or more insubordination will occur from xtion asses.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:677777
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.