Agnostic.com

12 4

Do you think the people in this society are slaves to materialism, desiring and possessing more than they can afford. I always envied my father who never placed any importance on material objects,cars,clothes,jewelry, etc,possessions of any kind .The only thing of value he has is the house he ownes and lives in

richiegtt 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's the goal of a capitalistic Society. I've always had a Fascination about advertisements. It's advertisers goal to create a sense of need and create a feeling that your life would be so much better if you bought xyz... even a simple commercial for floor wax will show a tall, thin beautiful mother in a beautiful house with a couple of obnoxious kids running around. Her home is spit-shined and there's a big smile on her face. the message we are supposed to receive is compare this womans life to yours. Somehow the human mind will actually work it out that you will choose this product because it represents something you want that has nothing to do with floor wax. Spending money and shopping could become every last bit of an addiction as alcohol and drugs in our society.

I think you're mixing 2 things - have material possessions because they allow you to survive (a roof over your head, food, etc.), and material possessions that go way beyond that, and it is the latter that I would call "materialistic". I think a lot of people are materialistic because they are under the illusion that this leads to happiness, and they are VERY VERY WRONG!!!

Many, yes, absolutely. All our media, advertising, and public venues do everything possible to urge buying, encourage debt, and replace outdated with new.

Having had a business for 11yrs, that allowed me access to all kinds of homes, I was amazed by how many households were literally bursting at the seams with "stuff". Endless stuff that wasn't used or needed - along with oversized living spaces that cost too much - as many owners admitted.

I see too many - especially at this time of year, working at jobs they don't like, in order to buy things they don't need, with money they don't have. Ugh

I've always admired most, those that learned early on that being "rich" has nothing whatever to do with what you have ! I strive to be one of them.
Sounds like your Father has that wisdom !

Of course people are individuals and not all the same, but this IS an extremely consumerist society. We are bombarded with all kinds of messages trying to make us materialistic. In recent years there has been quite the minimalism movement under way, which is refreshing.

I don't think 'slaves' is the correct answer. I'm not sure what it should be though. Inertia perhaps. It's as if we climbed on a rat's wheel while it wasn't moving. We started slowly and little by little got faster and faster. We're running now and can't stop. There's going to be a lot of pain.

Ask the Waltons, Trumps, and others at the upper end about that. Ever wondered why a CEO needs a 50 million dollar bonus? Me? Only those things necessary to do what I do are particularly important. Now, after obtaining a 200 thousand dollar medical debt last year, a 38% reduction in actual income, and a few other little items beyond my control, I can't even consider adding to my list of stuff -- even if I wanted to, which I don't.

I don't have a lot of material posessions. Don't really need them. I'd just as soon travel anyway.

But I've always believed that anybody who is willing to work hard and play by the rules should receive enough compensation for their time and efforts to live in a modest house, pay the bills, put healthy food on the table, own and maintain a modest vehicle and take a nice two week vacation once a year.

Webbewl
Have you tried running faster on the treadmill. Lol

LOL! No matter how fast I run on the treadmill, I just can't seem to catch that fucking carrot.

I think my parents were very materialistic-my 90 year old mother still goes on cruises, out to dine whenever she wants and still lives the lifestyle she and my now deceased father lived. She judges and looks down on anyone, including me, one of two daughters who doesn't live in a fancy house, drive a luxury car or wear gobs of jewelry. This is not the way I live or want to live.

You can't take your things with you when you die.

But take where? Where are you going? 😉

In the end it is who has the most joy in life than Toys, wins. Yes, too much focus on finances rather the balance of the physical, intelluctal, relationship and spiritual. In which long term causes more suffering rather than gathering more happiness.

Money being the least to do for our happiness. When finance over focus the balance, it turns into love of money. In which is the root of all evil.

I have lost everything I owned on 3 different occasions, one by active choice. It is a freeing experience. I own a lot (for me) now, but I find it is easy for me to give things away. Money has never been very important to me, either. I can easily pay what I owe happily. Things are tools. If I can't use that tool, I find someone who can.

no one is free

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6820
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.