Agnostic.com

13 11

"Stop pimping out your friend," I replied. "This is an old scam."

Yesterday I got this message on Fitness Singles. I reported him. Rings a bell. I swear I got the same message on a different dating website years ago:

"Hello and how are you doing? What is it about your profile?…lol. I was sharing my story with a friend of mine and showing him my profile when yours popped up and he’s been all over me about getting in touch with you. He isn’t on the dating site because he is a military man and he can’t be on a dating site/social media at the moment, so am reaching out to you on his behalf cause my story has been a success on here, i have found my partner and am getting off the site soon. He’s a lovely man, he’s good looking and gentle. Do drop him a line at ( 7darrenmiles@gmail.com ) and he will write back with more info about himself and he will send you pictures too via email. I’m 100% that you would be thrilled by him and he will be more than happy to read from you except you don’t like or appreciate Military men and i will understand. Wishing you guys all the best. I strongly believe you will thank me later ! My job is done here, lol !"

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Troubling Behavior

twill Level 7 Nov 3, 2022

I have heard of similar approaches and yes, always a scam.

LAME!

How could anyone be expected to fall for this?

this one is still around? I saw that over twenty years ago

Pretty much shouts SCAM!

Part of me wants to get an old computer and create a new e-mail to send them messages. Just to see what will happen when they realise that the computer they are attached to is a stand alone a mac and does not have anything on it that they can access (I have one that had to have a heart transplant after being in the way of some lightning that raced through my house after it got struck)

@Budgie

Great idea. Be careful. It would be fun to play them like a fish.

@LiterateHiker I watched this guy and I think that is why.

There is also this guy

And a radio station here in Australia managed to scam 1000 out of some scammers.
One of the DJ's got a scam asking for banking details so they could move some money out of a war torn country and you would get to keep 10%.
So they set up an account and replied.
They said they were the leaders of a church and would love to help them but could only help people within their own church however, for 1000 AUD bankers cheque they would be prepared to accept them as part of their church and could then share their bank details with them.

They got a post office box and gave that as the address.

Later that month a check turns up, they cash it and ask everyone to let them know which charity to donate the money to.
They then got about 5 e-mails each getting more and more abusive from the scammers. They never replied and eventually just blocked them.

Scam big time. They are getting inventive.

I've gotten this exact message several times, too. It's an old scam. They want to get you off the dating site ASAP, and to message them on another platform where they can more easily obtain your information. No military guys are on dating sites. It's an old ruse.

Right out of the gate they're asking you for contact outside the security of the site. That is a flapping red flag. It's obviously a scam. There is no "friend."

@Flyingsaucesir

"Flapping red flags" is hilarious! I just used it in a reply to a guy. Right out of the gate, he called me "My love." I wrote:

Flapping red flags:

1. I'm not your love.

2. You don't have a cure for cancer.

3. You don't have a cure for chronic dry eyes.

4. You are not a doctor although you pretend to be.

5. We live too far apart.

Kathleen

Exactly

I have received the same messages. Never responded.

This is a story about how ignorant they are. They know you don't like something but want to raise your curiosity anyway. I just don't get the psychology of it. On Meet Me today I had 2 of them take me to Google Chat. I said in advance that I am not scam material and I do not send money. They were real and really wanted to meet but it got back to that money idea again. I need to send them at least $25 in "good faith" (what is this, a revival?) or they will not be able to meet me. They left angry when I asked how they were able to go to work or buy food. One said that I would not be able to entice her "into my motor home." Sorry. I do not have a motor home. Another one was trying to trick me in a numbers game with codes where she can take over my cell phone and get all the info on it. Surprise! My cell phone is a trackfon with nothing on it. Maybe some chats from stupid people, but it seems like this is how it all goes. I need to quit it and just watch movies again.

It's astonishing how transparent these scammers are. It amazes me that they can still fool people as dumb as their conversations sound. There are still some real people on dating sites, and even some nice ones. I've met a few.

I got messages like that from time to time, and quickly learned not to follow up on it. It's an OH Hell NO!

I feel sure I've also had that message too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:693162
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.