Agnostic.com

26 5

We meet in real life. How do you greet me?

I'm wondering how touchy-feel-y you are. Reserved. Germ-o-phobic.

By the way, I bathe and wear clean clothes. (That's always a factor for me when making this sort of decision).

So, I wonder, how do you greet new people?
This is in the absence of them making the first move.

• 5 votes
  • 23 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 16 votes
silvereyes 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends, if it's a girl, smile then kiss on both cheeks (I'm of french descent, comes with the territory 😉 ). If it's a guy, smile then handshake.

MarcO Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

It depends on the circumstances. I hug often and if I were meeting you or someone else from our group, yeah most likely there would be hugging. But sometimes I'm not feeling the hug would be accepted, so a handshake or possibly only a nod. Of course the person I'm interviewing with for a job will get a professional handshake. If I get the job maybe then they'll get that hug. 😉

I'll just wait for cues from you. I'm not big on touching, but a handshake seems a bit formal and impersonal, so if a hug is in order it would probably be a quick (half-second) one-arm hug that is immediately deflected by awkward chitchat asking about your drive or something equally trivial.

None of the above. I wouldn't move into your space on our encounter. I would simply say (assuming the time and place was planned ahead of time), "Hello, silvereyes. Who are you -- really?"

You can't scare me, @silvereyes because I've been to Baltimore.

It was a convenient coincidence.

I am a hugger. Besides we are a family here. People I feel close to via posts and messages get big hugs

Now that I know you're a hugger, if we met I'd give you the biggest, warmest hug I have in my repertoire.

On first intro, a handshake, or side of face kiss. but after that a genuine hug.

In my opinion, unless they obviously don't want you in their space, first meetings should always be initiated with a firm handshake and maintained friendly eye contact (not glaring). Any meeting after that usually starts with one of those half shake/hugs and then goes into a full hug

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers: Donald Sutherland. I like to think I make a strong first impression.

Well, yeah. I mean, what's the point otherwise?

Are you saying that wouldn't make you feel special?...hehe

I've been told I am very special, it's true....hehe

a hug and a hello

I usually greet new people with handshake, but I'd probably give you a hug, Silvereyes, and be eixcited to meet you. I think you're a very kind, intelligent and creative person and remind me of a close friend. And yes, showers and clean clothes always help too 😛

Well, if i meet someone from here that i have been talking to, then i half hug because weve become friends.. i would do nothing to embarrass her or my wife. If i was still working then it would be a nod of my head and a greeting smile. If she puts out a hand then i will fallow her lead on the next appropriate move.

I'm stuck between a half hug with a big smile and a handshake.
I think you'd be interesting to sit and have coffee with, except I don't really drink coffee. lol

I'm no aficionado but I'm game. 🙂

I really thought this was a post about how we would greet each other the first time we met. A little disappointed, but I'm in the stream now so will go with the flow.

First time meeting: Probably a handshake unless they're giving off some highly receptive signals.

With that said, I've had a few uncomfortable exchanges were the other person felt the need for a hug. (😕)

@silvereyes I went with the one in bold print. I think you used the title just to pull people in. (😉) It worked, but I'll be more skeptical next time.

the moment will determine next step... vibe? no vibe?

probably a head nod

Depend on if they are a male or female
A male will always be a hand shake.
Depend on how I am feeling and mood I am in myself.
I will go off vibes I get from them.
Wave, Hug, simple Hello

Since you and I are both in Oklahoma, how I greet you depends on if we're both standing outside with a beer in our hands watching a tornado or if we just happen to pass each other while driving 😉

Wave and a smile

I think a lot of it depends on how well we know each other and how comfortable I am around you.

I am all good with handshakes on the first meeting with anyone

I'm a big fan of smiles, makes a person feel good all over more than anywhere else. Hugs to me are a really intimate thing, and to be shared when appropriately and mutually felt. A really good, all over feeling, that last beyond the physical act.

Here it is:

I'm very touchy-feely but when appropriate. First meeting maybe a half-hug. Interacting with someone online is very different from the real world. If after introductions it feels like there is more of a connection then definitely HUGS!

I'll say hellllloooo Cottontail

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6971
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.