Agnostic.com

11 22

My first time having a serious discussion with a Christian friend. It was a polite discussion. Just basically told him we had been lied too and there’s no evidence of Jesus. Only evidence we have is an uneducated pastor scaring the shit out of telling us if we don’t believe what he says then we are going to hell. He says that’s why it’s called faith but I could tell that it started his brain to thinking. 5 years out of religion and I can finally start expressing my true opinions now. It feels GOOD.

abyers1970 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think faith is the wrong word. We believe that the sun will rise tomorrow because we have evidence that it will. Faith is a belief without evidence. I think it's an important distinction.

I try not to discuss religion with anyone, but what can you when they approach your front door? I tell them I'm an Atheist, but thank you anyway. I politely take their propaganda pamphlets, shut the door, go rip them up and toss them in the garbage.

My very religious brother-in-law was recently diagnosed with incurable cancer. This Christmas was most likely his last. I found myself being very concerned that he was scared. I sat down with him asked him about it. He said he wasn't scared because he knows he will meet Jesus. I was surprised at how relieved I was that he believes that stuff. Of course, he was trying to convert me during the entire conversation. He had no luck there...

100 C.E. was about the time that the Roman empire was at its peak.
If someone had been proclaimed "god" within their realm, I'm pretty sure that 1) a legion of soldiers would have visited Jerusalem and taken care of him and 2) some Roman poet, statesman or Caesar would have written about him.

No one did.

Sounds like progress. Progress is always good. And there’s always more available. Keep up the good work!

skado Level 9 Jan 6, 2023

Perhaps he’ll become a non believer one day!!

Hallelujah, praise the lord!!!🙏🏼😇🙏🏼

I'll only talk religion with religious folks who say there is no evidence and it is their faith that they stand on. While I still think that unwise, I can respect their truth.

@Gwendolyn2018 That's basically what I tried to say; I'll discuss with those who agree there is no evidence Faith, no matter in whom or in what it is placed has no power at all. I have faith the car downstairs will start tomorrow; that doesn't mean it may have an unknown problem and won't start. My faith that the sun will hang around during my lifetime is really strong as a believer in science.

if a person is happy I hesitate to mess with it unless they try to share their happy.

My possition exactly.

Good for you.

I'm glad for you. It took me a while also and I studied to be a minister. The simple facts are that there is zero evidence of gods of any kind. Gullible believers what to say that Christianity is the only true religion. It has to be the preacher who told them this. I'm not afraid of waking up in the wrong hell, or even the wrong heaven. Live your life and be happy. When we are dead we are dead. If must be sort of like it was before we were born.

If you studied to be a minister then you understand. I was a Sunday school teacher. The longer im out of it the more cult like I realize it is. We both know there are a lot of good people in Christianity but I believe those people would be good outside of Christianity too. I now believe it’s brainwashing

@abyers1970 I fully agree with you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:703687
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.